IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

8 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

On a side note. I have two EPROM carts. One is 32K for Pokey sound. The other can handle up to 48K. I have 128k EPROMS I believe. Are you loading this on such a cartridge? I'd love to load this onto an EPROM to check out on my CRT! I actually like the TIA sound!!!

That photo was made by Jinks:

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 1

Hi guys:

@Trebor found a bug in the cornering (you can end up stuck in a wall), as well as a graphics artifact bug when moving downward through the vertical tunnel in Hangly-Man and Popeye Pac-Man.  Both bugs have been resolved and thank you Trebor for finding and testing them!  You are awesome!

PMC_XM.BIN PMC_XM.A78

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

This is really odd, but on the latest version (have not gone back to see which version it started on yet), I no longer have enhanced sound with the XM cart on A7800.  I'm getting TIA music again.  I double checked with the Arkanoid WIP to make sure that the XM cart in A7800 does still work.

*Edit*

XM sound in A7800 worked back in the versions in posts 177 and 186.  All subsequent versions play TIA music on my system.  Not sure if this impacts real hardware, or even is a "just me" problem...

Edited by nadir

An updated release of A7800 with more accurate XM emulation is pending. The latest PMC XM releases play with YM2151 sound on it.

In the meantime, the excellent JS7800 emulator has accurate XM emulation implemented and released. PMC XM plays with YM2151 sound there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I have fixed two small bugs - one of which happens when you reach 1,000,000 points...  It drew the '1' over the monster pen, allowing the player and monsters to get in and out.  While I did roll it over (like the arcade does), I keep the zeros there so you know the score rolled over.

There is another small 'blink and you'll miss it' bug I fixed as well.  This one is going to @Albert whenever he is ready to put the game in the store (if he wants to)... and when @Nathan Strum is able to do the artwork.  @Marc Oberhäuser, do you still do boxes?

• Like 13

Bob you are a beast sir!  Ok I’m not asking you to do this so no one freak out, but I wanted to show Bob this and simply ask if this looks possible on the 7800.  We’ve playing this all day with the kids on the new Namco collection on switch.  Apparently it is running in Namco’s NES emulator and I’m trying to decide if this would give the Atari a stroke.  I would love to hear the XM sound processors take a wack at the audio if nothing else.

i would think fat mode graphics because of the rolling colors, but I figure your existing PAC engine already proved the scrolling would work.  Just idly wondering if there was anything you could see in the video that would just make you say “nope that wouldn’t work.”

At any rate can’t wait to play your latest masterpiece.  I’m still playing Baby Pac daily and I still suck at it but it’s the most fun I have playing a game I’m awful at.

Thanks for all you do!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gorfcadet said:

Bob you are a beast sir!  Ok I’m not asking you to do this so no one freak out, but I wanted to show Bob this and simply ask if this looks possible on the 7800.  We’ve playing this all day with the kids on the new Namco collection on switch.  Apparently it is running in Namco’s NES emulator and I’m trying to decide if this would give the Atari a stroke.  I would love to hear the XM sound processors take a wack at the audio if nothing else.

i would think fat mode graphics because of the rolling colors, but I figure your existing PAC engine already proved the scrolling would work.  Just idly wondering if there was anything you could see in the video that would just make you say “nope that wouldn’t work.”

Most of the background animations you are seeing in the Nintendo Switch version are not feasible on NES and 7800.

For the 7800 you could make a version similar to the NES version (see video below), you could use the 320D mode for the maze, dots, score and the 320B mode for sprites. Or, make it completely in 160A mode.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

I think the one that Defender_2600 posted would be more possible than the other one.  That being said, I don't like the idea of a 'timed' Pac-Man; only speaking for myself, I take my time on each board to make sure I get the maximum points.  This version totally ruins my strategy. :P

• Like 2

On 6/4/2020 at 6:57 PM, PacManPlus said:

Ok, one more update.

In Ms. Pac-Man, if you are still, the fruit will pass through you.

PMC_XM.BIN 128 kB · 13 downloads PMC_XM.A78 128.13 kB · 48 downloads

What's funny is now when I play the arcade version this "feature" throws me off cause I'm used to the 7800/800 versions behavior.  Same for the change direction without moving trick.  :lol:

• Like 2

Just thought I'd mention ( rather than waiting ).. While testing out the last released download.  I was on Ms. Pac-Man strawberry level and I ate a power pill.  Proceed to eat one blue ghost.. passed right through the 2nd blue ghost ( they were on top of each other ).  :o  This is in an emulator so may be emulation related.

Edited by Shannon

6 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Thank you!

This has been fixed.

Great!  I was ready to give a few more details but it sounds like you managed to find it!  My only other comments are few.. and I think were mentioned..

Some of the colors are slightly bland.. I think it was due to palette issues and the way things are layed out?  Especially the pear level which doesn't really look orange to me?  Maybe it looks correct on real hardware.  This is more so for Ms. Pac-man than Pac-man.  You know emulators they can be weird.  Also it's weird that the ghosts alternate between blue and pink when a power pill is eaten.  But so far I think everything is great!

I especially like the random maze generator.  Thanks for taking the time to convert it over!  My only suggestion would be to not allow two exits on a maze when in Pac-man mode?  Maybe it's me but It just doesn't seem right.

This game is definitely pushing the Maria limits though.  I had to disable rewind on my a7800x emulator on the xbox in order to be full speed!

I'll post more as I try out the different modes.  I never was a super big fan of the odd pac-man variants but it is good to have them there.  Although I do miss Jr. Pacman.  Poor Jr always seems to be left out.

Great work!  It's a shame to hear about more possible delays with the XM?  I haven't been keeping up with the thread.  I'll have to hop over there and check it out.

Oh yes.  If you look back in the thread colors were gone over MULTIPLE times, and I believe at this point we have the best compromises possible.

Regarding the two exits in Pac-Man mode: Many of the bootlegs of the time have more than one exit (Hangly-Man, New Puck-X, etc. - even Piranha which I despise) so to me it isn't something that is unheard of. :)

Jr. wasn't added because it is VERY different with regards to the maze.  This port already scrolls up and down,  I didn't want it scrolling left and right as well.

Thank you for the compliments.

That being said, Here is the most updated Binary with all of the recent changes.  This should be considered final, unless of course again any bugs are found.

PMC_XM.BIN PMC_XM.A78

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 6

No problem.  I figured that much ( regarding the colors ) but all is good.  This port is awesome.  I want to try it on a7800 for the PC to see how the Wocka wocka sounds are.  On my emu the seem like they are off.  But it is using real old code.  So that is likely the issue.  Figured the same in regards to the bootlegs and exits.  Yeah an unfortunately Jr. ( one of my favs ) just adds more complications to an already complex layout.  The fact that you were able to squeeze as much in as you did is pretty darn impressive!

Thanks for the latest update.. although I'll miss the XM enhanced graphic.. :P

Oh and by my count you are at release candidate 13.. maybe you should do just one more... or just release it on a Friday the 13th as a prank.  :lol:

Edited by Shannon

• 1 month later...

I know it's probably a bit late for this.  But I figured I'd report it anyways.  I was playing Ms. Pac-man with random mazes and the bouncing fruit got stuck in the wall.  I'm not 100% sure but I think I was moving up and the screen was scrolling down.  Here is a screenshot of when it happened and what it looked like after I died and went back to the top of the screen.

This was in emulation by the way.  Not on a real 7800.

1076168324_Pac-manCollectionXM001.thumb.png.d6458cd12bb9af72622008f7e4a00c77.png

2096022406_Pac-manCollectionXM002.thumb.png.fd0d0f8a8e2f2c9fb4a3f39ba7b88d1e.png

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Final Version.

things changed:

- Ms. Pac-Man Plus Random Mazes added

- Popeye Pac-Man removed; now playing as the Popeye head can be had in ALL games by pressing up on the joystick while starting the game.

- Pressing down on the joystick while starting the game gives you hearts instead of dots.

- Flashing maze sometimes flashed incorrectly on later Ms. Pac boards

- You now see the reserve of lives remove one when starting the game

Binary attached.

PMC_XM.A78 PMC_XM.BIN

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6