IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

• 2 weeks later...

So, I wanted to do something special for the 255th level instead of just a split screen.  Being that I have a feeling most people won't see this for themselves, here is what happens when you reach the 255th level on any of the games in this collection:

Edited by PacManPlus
Removed repetitive words
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, SearsRoebuck said:

Was a little surprised to see this game not in the 'coming soon for Jan' additions in the atariage store - does it still need more work? 

If you count artwork and a manual, yes. ;)

1 hour ago, mimo said:

It needs an xm to plug it in to 

While this is true if you want Yamaha sound, The TIA sound (without the XM) is *vastly* improved, as shown here:

If you don't have an XM, it will default to TIA sound, and local high score saving (i.e. until you turn the machine off)

Edited by PacManPlus
edited for clarity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This should be more thought of as "Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition" rather than "XM Edition" or required.  This game is "XM Enhanced" as denoted at the title screen.

True, it could make use of high score saving cart and YM sound if available, but the graphics update from 160 mode to 320 mode is present regardless, as is some incredibly updated TIA sound compared to the original PMC.  One could argue in at least some instances, it sounds better, or perhaps preferred, over the YM sound.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Trebor said:

This should be more thought of as "Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition" rather than "XM Edition" or required.  This game is "XM Enhanced" as denoted at the title screen.

True, it could make use of high score saving cart and YM sound if available, but the graphics update from 160 mode to 320 mode is present regardless, as is some incredibly updated TIA sound compared to the original PMC.  One could argue in at least some instances, it sounds better, or perhaps preferred, over the YM sound.

The XM or XM Enhanced designation on games needs to be dropped. It means nothing and we all know it's gonna take other means to play such games as intended that look for POKEY, RAM or HSC functionality. Let that decade worth of disappointment fall away without any more reminders of what never came to be.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

The XM or XM Enhanced designation on games needs to be dropped. It means nothing and we all know it's gonna take other means to play such games as intended that look for POKEY, RAM or HSC functionality. Let that decade worth of disappointment fall away without any more reminders of what never came to be.

Harsh. But probably fair. *sigh*

Anyway, I really hope Al can set up digital sales for games in the Store somehow. I would love to be able to buy a ROM of this title to play on my (eventual) Dragonfly cart next year.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Harsh. But probably fair. *sigh*

Anyway, I really hope Al can set up digital sales for games in the Store somehow. I would love to be able to buy a ROM of this title to play on my (eventual) Dragonfly cart next year.

I second this! Digital sales would be great! :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shawn said:

Bob already took care of that with the latest update. 

No more mention of "XM Enhanced" on the title screen:

image.png.5cca06e88304a00262d771d1053556cd.png

Perhaps @Albert, @CPUWIZ or, @Tempest can allow the title of the post to be edited; changing to "PMC - 40th Anniversary", or something along those lines, instead of "First XM specific game".

• Like 6