IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

On 4/4/2020 at 9:49 PM, Shawn said:

Dunno if it's desirable or even a doable thing but having the ending found in the Sega Genesis version after completing level 32 has always been something I'd love to see in an Atari version of Ms. Pacman (or any version of Pacman)

It would be cool to put that in place of the 'kill screen'

• Like 3

I'm ok, thanks for checking in.

Updated Video:

What I have left:

- Implement Yamaha Audio from Perry

- Adjust Scatter Times (to be closer to the arcade)

- Largest Pac-Man

- Random Maze Generator (this is the one I am most concerned with, only because I am converting from Java code to MOS6502)  I've started looking at it twice, only to get intimidated and put it aside again.

- A few slowdowns here and there...

- I'd like to rewrite the Monster 'Destination Tile' algorithm.  I think I can get it closer to the arcade.

- The 'move through monster' bug happens a little too often.

NOTE: I've already fixed the sound issue that happens toward the end of the video.

• Like 21

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys:

After a LOT of work (especially with the 'Random Mazes' function).  I am posting my WIP of Pac-Man Collection XM.  It is a 128K game (so far) but the Yamaha sound might push me to have to make it 144K.  I'm trying to avoid that so I'm not there yet.

Just in time for the 40th anniversary!

This is what I have left:

- Yamaha sound implementation (working on that now)

- 'Largest Pac-Man' (at the moment it plays regular Pac-Man)  There will be two differences though:

* The maze will not change color like the arcade, as it affects Inky and the 'Blue Monsters'.

* There will be no two player simultaneous option. Believe me, this was a hard one to let go of.  I don't have the sprites available, as there started to be 'disappearing acts'

- Possibly adjusting 'scatter times'.

Hopefully there won't be any bugs with this, but if there are, let me know.

Special thanks to @RevEng who taught me how to use the debugger in A7800.  It's awesome!

@Trebor...  You know what to do ;)

Thanks, guys!

0009.png.4cd1dcc53d5a219565bbc0883874f0dc.png

EDIT - BTW, this game is compatible with the Flashback joysticks (i.e. start, etc.)... at least it should be... :ponder:

PMC_XM.A78 PMC_XM.BIN

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, RevEng said:

That random maze generator is fantastic, Bob! ?

Echo Rev...loving the random maze generator and it sounds great on my Mateos with POKEY. Played a few quick games and will be returning to it over the weekend. Great job gents!?
<edit> The screen scroll is fluid?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys :)

@sramirez2008 - You know that those are TIA sounds (not Pokey), right?

@TrekMD - I know what that is.  It's the special joystick combinations I put in for the Flashback Joysticks.  Left+Right = Select (which takes you back to the menu), Up+Down+Left = Reset, and there's another combination for Pause that I can't remember right now.  A7800 must not let you press 'invalid' joystick directions at the same time, whereas ProSystem does.

• Like 1

Tried it out on A7800 and it looks fantastic! That random maze generator is seriously impressive and the game looks and plays great. My only really problems are some of the colors used on the ghosts (they're a bit dull imo). But this could simply just be a 7800 limitation. Also, why do the ghosts have crackhead eyes?

Okay, they're not actually crackheads (at least, I hope not), but they have these weird markings on their eyes. Is that a bug, a limitation, or something else?

ghost eyes.png

Yep - due to the limitation of the way the 7800 handles the third color with transparency on, that had to be done.  In that mode, I only have two palettes with three colors each to work with.  two of the colors (the white) have to have a different color next to them in order to show up (i.e. not the same color and not transparent).  So I really had 2 colors in 2 palettes to freely work with, and one color in each palette that was restricted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

A7800 must not let you press 'invalid' joystick directions at the same time, whereas ProSystem does.

Yep, it normally blocks contradictory directions. If you want to enable them for some reason, like testing the FB controllers or whatnot, "-joystick_contradictory" will allow them.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

@TrekMD - I know what that is.  It's the special joystick combinations I put in for the Flashback Joysticks.  Left+Right = Select (which takes you back to the menu), Up+Down+Left = Reset, and there's another combination for Pause that I can't remember right now.  A7800 must not let you press 'invalid' joystick directions at the same time, whereas ProSystem does.

That was it!  I changed how I pressed the keys and it no longer happened.  It does make it harder to play, though, when using ProSystem. 

• Like 1

Hi Bob

will check this soon......great work.What i do not like,is that some guys always criticize....oh...i want

better colours..oh i want this.....

I cannot hear this anymore.You did a really great 

job and must see such stupid comments.

I wish this guys would do something for the 7800...

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gambler172 said:

Hi Bob

will check this soon......great work.What i do not like,is that some guys always criticize....oh...i want

better colours..oh i want this.....

I cannot hear this anymore.You did a really great 

job and must see such stupid comments.

I wish this guys would do something for the 7800...

Okay seriously, what is your problem?

7 minutes ago, Jaden (JRH) said:

Okay seriously, what is your problem?

Oh...did i tell a Name???

Bob is our greatest coder and in the past........some guys always criticized his work,without doing it better or without coding a 7800 game.....I can tell a lot,but then i should be able to do it better.You should know,that the 7800 System is limited in its abilities....and Bob does always

the best...if it is possible.It is the same,like Bentley Bear.

Oh...i am still waiting for your Pacland file ,or is your Project dead?

• Like 1

Fantastic, phenomenal and this is 'just' with TIA sound.  Still images is one thing, but hands on is a whole different animal. Petty items like score placement, you don't even notice, as the gameplay and overall presentation is awesome. 

Honestly, I (was) not the biggest fan of a vertical scrolling maze; however, this has been pulled off so amazingly smooth, with little subtle movement, while capturing the vast majority of the screen constantly, it also became quickly another didn't even notice item. 

A really incredible game/port that will receive a much better video treatment down the road, but wanted to get something up now for this WIP.  Tried to condense about 2 hours worth of playing through some of the various options:

Caught a bug with the vertical maze tunnel after completing the first board which contained one; as the second board did not, but the graphic "leftover" remained at the top; bottom was cleared though.  Just a cosmetic thing as you couldn't enter it:

Capture.PNG.6053fddf2abc1ae44ddd0ace25107251.PNG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

(Just as a side note, I did try the 'pupil' thing - but without the white - at first.  The screen shots in the very first post show this; it made them look 'zombie-like'.  Defender_2600 had the great idea to do that with the white, and between the two, I think this looks better.  The white would have to be done the same way regardless).  I use the A7800 emulator with the 'screen' settings (like Trebor uses in his video as well as the ones I posted) and you hardly notice it.

Thank you so much guys - @Trebor thank you (as always) for the comprehensive video.  I like the screen transitions!  Also, I fixed the graphic bug that you noted with the vertical tunnel.

I promise; no more Pac-Man after this is done.  There is a game I started a while back that I want to continue on...

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ahh I see. For whatever reason, I was thinking that the eyes could be white and the rest could be another color. But silly me, the white has that weird color restriction where it has to be next to another color to appear. So, that obviously wouldn't work. It's really not a big deal anyway, and you make a good point that those weird pixels are barely visible when played on real hardware (or when you use a TV filter on an emulator). I think the fact that this was only done with just a few colors makes it even more impressive. Sure, it's not entirely perfect, but everything is identifiable and the game overall looks fantastic for the limitations that are set. I've always personally cared more about color than resolution. So, I think both Pac-Man Collections will have their place for people for prefer the different graphics styles. But still, this one is extremely impressive and I applaud anyone who make a game look this good with such tough limitations. As everyone else has been saying, excellent work!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gambler172 said:

Hi Bob

just played Pac XM on my CONCERTO...works very well.Now i am waiting for my XM.....Hope it will arrive sooon ;)

I have to give this a try as well as I have the same setup. I am excited to hear the new tia sounds as they sound amazing.. it will be perfect with the Yamaha sound.. just will need our XMs to hear it. 

• Like 1

After giving the current build a try, I love seeing the advent of a full-on random mazes mode, gives this new collection more flavor and helps it stand out from other home-brews.
improvedsinglepegwallsimprovement.png.48d9d27de4417b8072536a7ada2b07c0.png
My only comment is the Hangly Man-styled single-unit walls these random mazes generate look kind of out of place in these random mazes- IMO they were only ever really intended for Hangly Man itself and otherwise the randomizer should preferably use more natural-looking walls like what Ultra-Pac uses for its "circle" walls.

• Like 2