IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

This will sound silly, but one reason I held off on buying the original was because there was a technical reason (?) why the marquee intro in Ms. Pac Man didn't have the moving lights - is it still not possible to add this?  It's just a favorite arcade intro of mine so I have the NES Tengen version as my Ms Pac Man 'representative' instead. 

• Like 3

Ok.

I'm doing what I did in my original PMC.  I'm moving the order/color of the mazes in Ms. Pac-Plus to Ms.Pac-Attack.  I am making Ms. Pac-Plus use the Regular Ms. Pac-Man mazes (but color swapped) and adding the 'Plus' enhancements.

However, the player graphics, non-scared monster graphics, fruits will not be changed; no space for it.

Regarding the marquee dots...

0010.png.adf75a55ffa0b34cc5aeab4f2978c4b8.png

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

For those wanting to use their Mateos carts for this...

Download the .bin version Bob has posted and rename the extension to .SGP. It might work on .SGR as well, but mine is working under .SGP although I know pokey isn't being used but yeah..that is what I have mine at.

• Like 4

mspacplusxmmockup.png.99099501dd3fd6ce8e4281d44990c894.png

While likely impossible to do on the cart/rom itself, I attempted a mockup of a Ms. Pac Plus mode in which the mazes change color and the only assets used are ones that already exist in the game in some form.
There are some minor errors with the image, most notably the dot colors on the fourth maze being wrong (they should be cyan, not purple) and I forgot to recolor the lives counter next to Maze 3, but otherwise this should be a realistic enough take on the idea.

• Like 2

Nice!  However like I stated above, the graphics for the 'normal' monsters and the fruits will remain unchanged as I am using the same space as regular Ms. Pac-Man for this game.  Also, I can't change the pink to purple, as the player's color will change as well.  If I put the player's graphic in the other palette, the player will be green.

However, regarding the maze colors for Ms. Pac-Man Plus, I did flip-flop and change one color (The only one I could change):

0012.png

0013.png

0014.png

0015.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Justin De Lucia said:

mspacplusxmmockup.png.99099501dd3fd6ce8e4281d44990c894.png

While likely impossible to do on the cart/rom itself, I attempted a mockup of a Ms. Pac Plus mode in which the mazes change color and the only assets used are ones that already exist in the game in some form.
There are some minor errors with the image, most notably the dot colors on the fourth maze being wrong (they should be cyan, not purple) and I forgot to recolor the lives counter next to Maze 3, but otherwise this should be a realistic enough take on the idea.

Ok, so while I couldn't change the monster/fruit graphics (the blue monsters were changed to that thing with the leaf), I LOVE the purple / aqua, so I am currently working on a way to get that going.

@Jinks - Is anyone having the same issue as Jinks is?  If so, I think I may need to remove the 'special' flashback combinations, as it seems to be causing some issues.

• Like 6

Hi guys!

As I suspected, "Largest Pac-Man" has been removed from this lineup.  It has been replaced with "Ms. Pac-Man Plus (Arcade)".  So there are now both a Ms. Pac-Man Plus (which is Ms. Pac-Man with all of the 'Plus' modifications as shown two posts above), and Ms. Pac-Plus which is the arcade Ms. Pac-Plus that is basically Ms. Pac-Man but with different mazes.  (Ms. Pac-Attack is there too).

I am VERY close to having an RC...  just need to add the Yamaha Ms. Pac sounds and try to resolve and issue with scrolling and we're there.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 11

Will it have both tia and ym sound on the cart so it can work on a standard 7800 and 7800XM if detected? 

btw was used a uber arcade 7800 controller when that weird stuff happened with starting the game. I moved the controller as soon as the menu came up. 

7 minutes ago, Jinks said:

Will it have both tia and ym sound on the cart so it can work on a standard 7800 and 7800XM if detected?

Yep!  That was the plan all along.  I think I may remove the Flashback special key presses.  They seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Yep!  That was the plan all along.  I think I may remove the Flashback special key presses.  They seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

Very cool. Yeah I think the 7800 has a ton of options for controllers these days.

Could you do a video on your own XM to honour both major 7800 achievements in software and hardware? In 7800 nerd world this is a moon landing! ??

• Like 1

Hi guys!

I believe all that is left are the remaining Yamaha sounds, which Perry is hard at work on - and again I have to say; he's amazing with what he is creating!

So until then, here is what I believe to be complete but without the Yamaha sounds enabled yet...

Also, I have to say:  a HUGE thank you to RevEng, Defender_2600, and Trebor for making me see different (i.e. better) ways of doing things, and helping *so* much with troubleshooting, colors, and graphics.

Note: The Left difficulty switch dictates the number of starting lives, 3 or 5.  This is not reflected in the HSC, in order to keep this game from using more than one HSC ID.

As such, the games are split into 4 categories when saving high scores: Pac-Man series (Pac-Man, Hangly-Man, New Puck-X, Popeye Pac-Man, Ultra Pac-Man), Ms. Pac-Man Series (Ms. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Plus Arcade, Ms. Pac-Attack), Pac-Man Plus Series (Pac-Man Plus, Ms. Pac-Man Plus, Hangly-Man Plus, New Puck-X Plus, Ultra Pac-Man Plus), and Random Maze Series (Pac-Man Random Mazes, Ms. Pac-Man Random Mazes, Pac-Man Plus Random Mazes)

The 'Fast' selection and the 'Starting Level' selection are present.

Did you know: The third fruit is *not* a Peach, but an Orange!  This was a small debate in PM (to me, it looks like a Peach, and for 40 years I thought it was, as did the people I hung out with back then).  Everyone else, knew it was an Orange.  This is aside from GCC calling it an Orange in Ms. Pac-Man and Atari making it one in their ports.  It took me going back to the original Puck-Man flyer to actually confirm it was supposed to be an Orange.  While they do not state it outright, the drawing referring to it clearly shows an Orange - with a stem and a leaf (?)

(Why not make it Orange in color?  Why not make it more round?) ?

Anyway, let me know what you think!

PMC_XM.BIN PMC_XM.A78

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Bob, a HUGE thank *you* for all your dedication and patience, a HUGE thank *you* for giving us the most imposing, massive and accurate Pac-Man Collection that anyone's ever seen on a home video game system.

Also, a big thank you to tep392, RevEng and Trebor for all their contribution and help. You guys are a superlative team! :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Since it was mentioned earlier, I just wanted to add that dithering for energizers, dots and ghost eyes has been eliminated. Currently, energizer and dots are single color like the arcade version and the eyes of the ghosts have just a subtle and imperceptible reflection in cartoon style. :)

1640091638_newghosteyes.png.43ef49580e762637b499a946cf2b3c44.png

• Like 5