IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

1 hour ago, PacManPlus said:

Well, crap.  It's doing that in the Cuttle Cart as well (where there is no Yamaha).  Back to the drawing board on trying to detect the Yamaha I guess. :(

I wonder if the proposed Yamaha pass thru cart (I think I saw mention of that) would work with a CC2?  Hmm...

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Dragonfly Cart today, several days before I expected it, and finally got a chance to hear this one with YM sound on real hardware. I sure hope more homebrew authors will take advance of YM sound in the future 'cause this sounds great. :)

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Got my Dragonfly Cart today, several days before I expected it, and finally got a chance to hear this one with YM sound on real hardware. I sure hope more homebrew authors will take advance of YM sound in the future 'cause this sounds great. :)

Ah man - I only went with the PoKey option, not the YM.

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, john_q_atari said:

Talk to the creator. I think the YM is just a module you plug in so perhaps you can just order that addon and upgrade your cart.

Maybe at some point.  I still haven't pulled my 7800 down from storage yet, too many other interruptions.

Al and I (and CPUWIZ' idea) have come up with a request: 

I'm hard at work on Galaxian, so anyone who would like to take a crack at handling the manual for this will get a free copy of the game and an AtariAge Gift Certificate! :) 

(You will have the text from the original Pac-Man Collection to start with, so that should make things a little easier!).

Anyone good at writing manuals? :D 

Thanks, guys!

• Like 4

On 3/4/2021 at 2:17 PM, PacManPlus said:

Al and I (and CPUWIZ' idea) have come up with a request: 

I'm hard at work on Galaxian, so anyone who would like to take a crack at handling the manual for this will get a free copy of the game and an AtariAge Gift Certificate! :) 

(You will have the text from the original Pac-Man Collection to start with, so that should make things a little easier!).

Anyone good at writing manuals? :D 

Thanks, guys!

Happy to take on the manual if this is still a need. Also happy to jump in and do the layout / design. Back in the day, I did a ton of manual writing for games (https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,184269/). Now I own a creative agency that's laser focused in the games space (www.offbase.com). Here's a sample of a pet project I've been trying to get off the ground ("Coleco-izing" the Parker Bros. manuals and packaging to match the arcade style from Coleco). Would love to help if you need!

StarWars_complete.jpg

SWTAG_COLECOVISION_MANUAL_SML.pdf

• Like 6

On 3/5/2021 at 11:35 PM, offbase said:

Happy to take on the manual if this is still a need. Also happy to jump in and do the layout / design. Back in the day, I did a ton of manual writing for games (https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,184269/). Now I own a creative agency that's laser focused in the games space (www.offbase.com). Here's a sample of a pet project I've been trying to get off the ground ("Coleco-izing" the Parker Bros. manuals and packaging to match the arcade style from Coleco). Would love to help if you need!

StarWars_complete.jpg

SWTAG_COLECOVISION_MANUAL_SML.pdf 31.9 MB · 3 downloads

Thank you!  Yep, you are the only person who replied to this one, and nobody to the UniWarS one.  The artwork, however is spoken for (but thank you).

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 5:12 PM, PacManPlus said:

"Offset Maze" bug fixed.   BTW, this happened in Pac-Man Plus as well as Ms. Pac-Man Plus.

PMC_XM.A78 128.13 kB · 62 downloads PMC_XM.BIN 128 kB · 23 downloads

I'm testing this out with the new MiSTer Atari 7800 core. Looking at the .a78 file header it seems the XM flag isn't set. Why is that? The core uses this flag to know when to enable XM sound.

7 hours ago, mario64 said:

I'm testing this out with the new MiSTer Atari 7800 core. Looking at the .a78 file header it seems the XM flag isn't set. Why is that? The core uses this flag to know when to enable XM sound.

The XM flag would imply the Expansion Module is required for the game to function properly.  That is not the case.  

The "XM sound" being referred to is really YM2151 sound that is a part of the Expansion Module.

A standalone cart with a YM2151 chip would be able the play the same sound without the Expansion Module.

Per the updated header spec, the would mean not necessarily enabling the Expansion Module in the header, but enabling bit 11 for ym2151 @ $461/462.

However, for the time being, if it aids in having MiSTer run Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition with YM2151 sound, here is the header file version of the ROM with XM enabled:

PMC_XM.A78

P.S.  I believe bank6 @ 4000 may also need to be added to that header for it to properly reflect the data layout.  It hasn't been modified in the attached, and if MiSTer is running it, we will leave the header as it is presented now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trebor said:

The XM flag would imply the Expansion Module is required for the game to function properly.  That is not the case.  

The "XM sound" being referred to is really YM2151 sound that is a part of the Expansion Module.

A standalone cart with a YM2151 chip would be able the play the same sound without the Expansion Module.

Per the updated header spec, the would mean not necessarily enabling the Expansion Module in the header, but enabling bit 11 for ym2151 @ $461/462.

However, for the time being, if it aids in having MiSTer run Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition with YM2151 sound, here is the header file version of the ROM with XM enabled:

PMC_XM.A78 128.13 kB · 1 download

P.S.  I believe bank6 @ 4000 may also need to be added to that header for it to properly reflect the data layout.  It hasn't been modified in the attached, and if MiSTer is running it, we will leave the header as it is presented now.

Thanks Trebor.  I just learned that the core actually supports YM anyway.  Didn't realize that :)

• Like 2

Does anyone know the actual footprint of the Yamaha?  Is there really no series of bytes (doesn't have to be contiguous) to check that are a specific value if the YM is there or not?

At this point I'm tempted to just make two separate versions, one Yamaha and one TIA.

I just did a series of experiments with the Yamaha from the XM, the Dragonfly, and TIA.  I get different values for all three.  I was expecting the XM and Dragonfly to match at least somewhere, being they are both using the same YM chip.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

Should we think of the previous version as the POKEY version or use one of these if you use this with a POKEY cart?

Neither one of these use POKEY at all, as I understand it. One uses a YM synth, as contained in either an XM or a Dragonfly Cart. The other uses stock 7800 TIA audio. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Neither one of these use POKEY at all, as I understand it. One uses a YM synth, as contained in either an XM or a Dragonfly Cart. The other uses stock 7800 TIA audio. 

This is true.  There never was a Pokey in this version.  It was always TIA or Yamaha.

• Like 5