IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

4 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

If you look at some of the prior pages, I actually tried that, but ended up having too many issues.  I opted for original aspect ratio + scrolling, instead of squishing it down and affecting the timing, running out of cycles, etc.

I *really* wanted to do what opcode did and just scale everything down (including the speed, etc.) but you can't move horizontally 1 pixel in 320 mode.  And the thought of having two sets of graphics for everything just to offset by one pixel made me ill. ?

I'm a big fan of the scrolling solution you implemented.  It plays VERY well.  I like it much better than the various ports where it's smashed onto the screen size.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Atari Nut said:

Is there a way to "fit" the mazes to the screen... so the entire maze is visible?

Here you can still find the original (excellent) version of Pac-Man Collection, without vertical scrolling and with the most recent graphic update of the ghosts.

396690933_originalversionofPacManCollection.thumb.PNG.03b4ecbc25e65daf5747e6c329aaa07d.PNG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

I *really* wanted to do what opcode did and just scale everything down (including the speed, etc.) but you can't move horizontally 1 pixel in 320 mode.  And the thought of having two sets of graphics for everything just to offset by one pixel made me ill.

Hmmm... Since I've had the pleasure of knowing a little about your tastes over the years, I'm thinking I'm not sure if you really would have liked the final result. Scale everything down, therefore including the horizontal resolution, would mean making the sprites 11 x 11 pixels against the current 14 x 14 pixels of the arcade version, with consequent loss of detail.

Furthermore, in the arcade version, the width of the vertical corridors and the height of the horizontal corridors measure the same number of pixels and the same applies to the width / height of the vertical / horizontal walls, instead scaling the resolution down some asymmetries are obtained in the proportions of the corridors and walls of the labyrinth. For example, width of vertical corridors less than height of horizontal corridors, vertical corridors with different widths between them, or narrow vertical walls and too high horizontal walls... I'm just saying that I know you as a perfectionist who doesn't really like this kind of asymmetries... ;)

Anyway seriously, I think that full high resolution (with 320 pixel aspect ratio) is an fundamental element that distinguishes this your new Pac-Man Collection 320 from other 8 bit versions and we've been waiting to have the same high resolution as the arcade version for years.

And without forgetting that the original (excellent) version of your Pac-Man Collection is also always available, without vertical scrolling and full of colors and gameplay options. ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Hmmm... Since I've had the pleasure of knowing a little about your tastes over the years, I'm thinking I'm not sure if you really would have liked the final result. Scale everything down, therefore including the horizontal resolution, would mean making the sprites 11 x 11 pixels against the current 14 x 14 pixels of the arcade version, with consequent loss of detail.

Furthermore, in the arcade version, the width of the vertical corridors and the height of the horizontal corridors measure the same number of pixels and the same applies to the width / height of the vertical / horizontal walls, instead scaling the resolution down some asymmetries are obtained in the proportions of the corridors and walls of the labyrinth. For example, width of vertical corridors less than height of horizontal corridors, vertical corridors with different widths between them, or narrow vertical walls and too high horizontal walls... I'm just saying that I know you as a perfectionist who doesn't really like this kind of asymmetries... ;)

Anyway seriously, I think that full high resolution (with 320 pixel aspect ratio) is an fundamental element that distinguishes this your new Pac-Man Collection 320 from other 8 bit versions and we've been waiting to have the same high resolution as the arcade version for years.

And without forgetting that the original (excellent) version of your Pac-Man Collection is also always available, without vertical scrolling and full of colors and gameplay options. ;)

You... are probably right.. :P  How is it you guys know me so well? :) 

(and thank you again for the kind words...) :) 

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys:

So I decided to share this.

A while back (not long after I originally finished it), I had made a version of this game that doesn't scroll.  Now to do this, I had to shorten the rows from 30 to 24 (I had to remove them in 3 row intervals so as to not disrupt the auto-maze generator).

This means I had to shorten every maze, and still ended up needing to make changes to the random maze generator anyway.

Now, I wasn't going to share this originally, as I know people are sick on Pac-Man hacks/homebrews.

But, I figured I'd rather people have this, in case they like the option.

Attached here (the 'S' is for 'Short Mazes').

Enjoy, if you like.

PMC_XM_S.BINPMC_XM_S.A78

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 9

Enjoy, if you like.

jaw-drop-amazing.thumb.gif.f5761d888692243a5b7e677d253cd127.gif

Now, I wasn't going to share this originally, as I know people are sick on Pac-Man hacks/homebrews.

So, were you really thinking of depriving us of this wonder? :-D

Bob, this is a welcome surprise and excellent gameplay variation with lots of new-updated mazes, as well as offering the same high resolution as the arcade and without scrolling, and I also think it would deserve its place in the AA store.

Amazing work as always and a huge thank you for sharing it with your fans. Personally I already consider it "Pac-Man Collection 2 - 42th Anniversary Edition" ! :)

359610583_Pac-ManCollection2-42thAnniversaryEdition!!.thumb.PNG.8f3361c18752f43586c97282c592bbf8.PNG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, maxu3x said:

Has anyone else had trouble starting up the "S Maze" PMC rom? I usually have no issue with openemu and 7800 roms so I found this a bit odd. Does this play on original hardware too?

Works fine on DragonFly cart as well with full YM sound if you have the module installed and enabled.

• Like 5

On 6/4/2022 at 12:25 PM, juansolo said:

When it comes to the physical release of PMC40 are you and Al considering a YM loaded cart or will it just be TIA only sound?

I'm pretty sure it will be TIA only (but if someone makes a Yamaha pass-through it will use that, provided it's in the same address as the XM).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

I'm pretty sure it will be TIA only (but if someone makes a Yamaha pass-through it will use that, provided it's in the same address as the XM).

For those playing along via the A7800 emulator, the behavior as expected with original hardware is similar.   

Leveraging the "Standard Console" through the UI or command line...

a7800 a7800 -cart PMC_XM_S.a78

...provides TIA sound.   0002SM.png.0b66a8150f6e988c7283212cfcd149ef.png

Utilizing the "XM Expansion Module" from the UI or command line...

a7800 a7800 -cart1 xm -cart2 PMC_XM_S.a78

...provisions YM sound.   xmSM.png.6c276715d42566405c2338c2d176ac32.png

Of course, the YM sounds exquisite, but also the TIA sound is handled quite excellently.

• Like 6

Yeah baby, yeah!!!

My thanks to Bob and everyone that helped with this collection.  I honestly don’t know which one I like more, Scrolling or Short Mazes.  Glad I don’t have to choose.  Put them each on a cart and I’ll gladly pay for both.?

7B9DA0EA-775C-4EE1-9996-4DE475D5B178.jpeg

9C5448D8-9325-454F-A8ED-F1E74F59D2A5.jpeg

000DA00A-11B6-4EAC-A10F-F49D0BE5D8C5.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 2:19 PM, PacManPlus said:

Hey Guys:

So I decided to share this.

A while back (not long after I originally finished it), I had made a version of this game that doesn't scroll.  Now to do this, I had to shorten the rows from 30 to 24 (I had to remove them in 3 row intervals so as to not disrupt the auto-maze generator).

This means I had to shorten every maze, and still ended up needing to make changes to the random maze generator anyway.

But, I figured I'd rather people have this, in case they like the option.

Attached here (the 'S' is for 'Short Mazes').

Enjoy, if you like.

PMC_XM_S.BIN 128 kB · 69 downloads PMC_XM_S.A78 128.13 kB · 113 downloads

Congrats !! I´m very fan of Pac Man. I found a video.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Pac-Man Collection on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

1912872678_20221025-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.055d257504e9553665e29528b453699a.jpg

• Like 5