IGNORED

Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition

PacManPlus

22 hours ago, Trebor said:

Another knock it out of the park, can't wait for it to hit the store, title from PacManPlus!*

*Does Bob know how to not develop such a game? :-D

I love you guys... really...

I am just so appreciative of all the warmth I am shown here, it just makes me want to do more.  You all (knowing or not) helped pull me through one of the *worst* periods of my life a few years ago, and I'm only now just starting to get the part of me that I lost back.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all the kindness and backing that you have shown me.  This is an awesome community we have here, and I hope to always be a part of it - because of all of you.

*BTW, pretty soon (2022) will be my 20th year as a part of AtariAge.  My God how time flies.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3

On 12/28/2020 at 2:12 PM, PacManPlus said:

I love you guys... really...

I am just so appreciative of all the warmth I am shown here, it just makes me want to do more.  You all (knowing or not) helped pull me through one of the *worst* periods of my life a few years ago, and I'm only now just starting to get the part of me that I lost back.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all the kindness and backing that you have shown me.  This is an awesome community we have here, and I hope to always be a part of it - because of all of you.

*BTW, pretty soon (2022) will be my 20th year as a part of AtariAge.  My God how time flies.

Hi my friend

and we all love you.....now it is time for A3 ?

• Like 3

PMP!  You've done it again!  This is, hands down, my favorite Pac-Man Collection.  It has absolutely everything.  I have to say, though, the Pac-Plus with random screens is a bit sadistic, but I keep coming back for more!  :) :) :)

I found one little bug, that I figured I'd mention, though.  Again, this is while playing Pac Man Plus with random mazes and normal speed.  On this particular maze (pictured below), ghosts going through that "U" channel, end up going through the right wall (circled in red) rather than going up the right side of the "U."  At first, I thought it was a one-time thing, but every ghost that passed through there did the same thing.

I'll try to capture some video of it.

PMC40th Screenshot.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Deteacher said:

...ghosts going through that "U" channel, end up going through the right wall (circled in red) rather than going up the right side of the "U."...

35 minutes ago, Deteacher said:

I managed to get a board with that "U" channel to come up (even though it's not the same board posted above.  However, the ghosts behaved the same way, going through either side of the channel.  I managed to get a video of it in action.  

Great catch!  Watching your video, I kept focusing on the right-side, thinking how could I miss it?  I'm not seeing it. 

It wasn't until a third watch, when I realized it was the left side this time - either side of the channel indeed. 

I should have read more before watching...lol.

image.png.b8c27958cffd6085da978586f34dc3d1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there an updated binary of this one since Bob has changed the title page? I have Trebor's ProPack loaded up on my Concerto but the version included is from a couple months ago and still shows "XM Enhanced" on the title screen. It also has no sound on my Concerto (not even TIA) but that's probably a Concerto firmware issue, I think. 

• Like 1

PMP!  You've done it again!  This is, hands down, my favorite Pac-Man Collection.  It has absolutely everything.  I have to say, though, the Pac-Plus with random screens is a bit sadistic, but I keep coming back for more!  :) :) :)

Thank you!!!! :) 

2 hours ago, Deteacher said:

I found one little bug, that I figured I'd mention, though.  Again, this is while playing Pac Man Plus with random mazes and normal speed.  On this particular maze (pictured below), ghosts going through that "U" channel, end up going through the right wall (circled in red) rather than going up the right side of the "U."  At first, I thought it was a one-time thing, but every ghost that passed through there did the same thing.

Believe it or not, that's actually normal behavior.

In Pac-Man / Plus, the monsters cannot go up directly above where the player starts.  So, any mazes where 'up' is the only direction to go causes the monsters to go through the wall.  This originally happened in Super ABC's Ultra PacMan (maze #3):

This is the original maze - the one I had because I bought my kit early on:

image.png.4995ff85d4c7d9b37defdab72561ff15.png

(Notice the area where the player starts)

They must have seen that the monsters move through the walls to the left and right of the starting point (as did I), so later revisions had the maze slightly modified:

image.png.52eab3ac9db6f77e1f150ad703fc2cf6.png

I didn't want to limit the maze pieces even more than I already was (each section has specific maze pieces to pick from to keep from having dead ends, unpassable passages, etc.)  So I just let it go.  If someone were to make a random maze generator on the original Pac-Man hardware, and that exact maze that you had came up, the same thing would happen...  so it's actually true to the arcade ;)  :D 

BTW, You'll notice this doesn't happen in Ms. Pac-Man. ;)  That same maze will not produce the same issue in Ms. Pac-Man variants as Ms. Pac-Man has that limitation removed.

While we are on the subject, did you notice that on maze three of Ms. Pac-Man (the Pear, Banana, & first two random mazes), the monsters cannot go immediately downward when coming out of the side door?  (Both on arcade hardware and this one).  This is the same idea; any side doors that are only 1 maze section wide will cause the monsters to go straight.  You will see this on any random maze that has a 'short' side door and a maze piece directly in front of it; the monsters will move through that maze piece:

image.png.c09b2c2d45f34593fd9ff40e45169691.png

The green shows where the monsters will come out of the side door and continue moving straight though the box-like maze piece.  Again, normal behavior. 

Basically, I'd rather see that than restrict the random maze placement more.

:) 

Bob

P.S....  all of the above is null and void if a monster is blue.  They are allowed to go anywhere ;) 

Edited by PacManPlus
Added the P.S.
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

Thank you!!!! :) 

Believe it or not, that's actually normal behavior.

In Pac-Man / Plus, the monsters cannot go up directly above where the player starts.  So, any mazes where 'up' is the only direction to go causes the monsters to go through the wall.  This originally happened in Super ABC's Ultra PacMan (maze #3):

This is the original maze - the one I had because I bought my kit early on:

image.png.4995ff85d4c7d9b37defdab72561ff15.png

(Notice the area where the player starts)

They must have seen that the monsters move through the walls to the left and right of the starting point (as did I), so later revisions had the maze slightly modified:

image.png.52eab3ac9db6f77e1f150ad703fc2cf6.png

I didn't want to limit the maze pieces even more than I already was (each section has specific maze pieces to pick from to keep from having dead ends, unpassable passages, etc.)  So I just let it go.  If someone were to make a random maze generator on the original Pac-Man hardware, and that exact maze that you had came up, the same thing would happen...  so it's actually true to the arcade ;)  :D 

BTW, You'll notice this doesn't happen in Ms. Pac-Man. ;)  That same maze will not produce the same issue in Ms. Pac-Man variants as Ms. Pac-Man has that limitation removed.

While we are on the subject, did you notice that on maze three of Ms. Pac-Man (the Pear, Banana, & first two random mazes), the monsters cannot go immediately downward when coming out of the side door?  (Both on arcade hardware and this one).  This is the same idea; any side doors that are only 1 maze section wide will cause the monsters to go straight.  You will see this on any random maze that has a 'short' side door and a maze piece directly in front of it; the monsters will move through that maze piece:

image.png.c09b2c2d45f34593fd9ff40e45169691.png

The green shows where the monsters will come out of the side door and continue moving straight though the box-like maze piece.  Again, normal behavior. 

Basically, I'd rather see that than restrict the random maze placement more.

:) 

Bob

P.S....  all of the above is null and void if a monster is blue.  They are allowed to go anywhere ;) 

Oh wow!  I had no idea about that.  Then I must say 'BRAVO' for making it even more true to the originals than even I had imagined!  :)

Thank you for the education.  You are definitely the Pac-Master!   :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

I need to dig out my DS. How smooth is the emulator?

Depends on the DS :)

The DS-LITE or DS-PHAT (the original) running at 64MHz will run some of the smaller non-banked Atari 7800 games at full speed but just barely. Think: Asteroids, Centipede, Joust. 

But if you have a DSi or 3DS then it's all rainbows and unicorns... virtually everything runs at 60FPS with a few holdouts on some of the more troublesome bankswitching games (Alien Brigade is 52FPS). 

7 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Hey @PacManPlus I just uploaded it to my Concerto, I'll give it a spin early tomorrow morning, I'm gonna hit the sheets for tonight.

BTW, great job on UniWarS, as promised it was THE FIRST 7800 port I tried after taking delivery of Concerto this afternoon.

Make sure you use this version so you get TIA sound.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/315319-20202021-hsc-rd-6-pac-man-40th-anniversary/?do=findComment&comment=4715573

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 7:05 AM, PacManPlus said:

If you count artwork and a manual, yes. ;)

While this is true if you want Yamaha sound, The TIA sound (without the XM) is *vastly* improved, as shown here:

If you don't have an XM, it will default to TIA sound, and local high score saving (i.e. until you turn the machine off)

This blows my mind. I couldn't believe I was playing on a stock 7800! I couldn't believe the TIA sounded better than some POKEY effects I've heard over the years. This is a masterpiece!

(My DragonFly cleared customs a couple days ago. I look forward to hearing the Yamaha on real hardware too!)

20210112_205812.jpg

20210112_214930.jpg

20210112_214643.jpg

Edited by darryl1970
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Dauber said:

Whoa...how'd you get the funky colors in that middle picture?! I know under the right circumstances you can get that to happen on the arcade version...

On the Arcade version it happens if you insert coin and start the game before the attract screen gets to the demo of the main maze.  I'm guessing Bob made it arcade accurate in that respect?

• Like 2

The colors in all three of those pictures aren't real. 

In the original Pac Man Collection, being that we don't have a coin slot I made a 1 out of 255 chance that the maze colors would be Blue and Red instead of the normal colors in Ms. Pac-Man.

I wasn't able to do that here, as Blue and Red aren't in the same palette, and I can't change those colors.

• Like 2

Maybe I didn't find it.

I just got my Dragonfly.

Is there a version that activates the Yamaha sound on this? The version that came with it displays "XM", but I think it's still playing TIA.

I thought I read something when I didn't yet have my DF. Now I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Darryl