IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 5 - TRON Deadly Discs

3 hours ago, fakecortex said:

This is a tough game to play with a keyboard! (Too many buttons for a modern controller to feel right). It really takes advantage of the Intellivision controller for sure. I mapped out my keyboard to best resemble the keypad and it's gonna take some practice...

I suggest using a modern controller.  Map the right analog stick to the intellivision disc.  Map the dpad to the intellivision keypad 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9.  Map kp5 to any button you like.  You can actually get a competitive edge over an intellivision controller.

------------

With cartridges that use standard exec speeds, as deadly discs does, speed one is 25% slower, and speed three is half the speed.  The games aren't any easier since Tron and his disc also moves slower.  Nothing else in the game changes.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, mr_me said:

I suggest using a modern controller.  Map the right analog stick to the intellivision disc.  Map the dpad to the intellivision keypad 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9.  Map kp5 to any button you like.  You can actually get a competitive edge over an intellivision controller.

Hmm. I'm using OpenEmu and a PS3 controller and unfortunately it won't let me map the diagonals on the dpad or analog stick. For running, I still have 8 directional movement, but not for shooting. So I've been using the shoulder buttons for the diagonals, but I rarely end up using them. Slight improvement of score...

1926665063_TRON-DeadlyDiscs2020-03-2410_32_30.thumb.png.ba247f9b6c1a8ff1329a2eb0be9804d4.png

Just now, gezkc said:

I can't believe I've never played this before - what a fantastic game! ?

I'm not very good but here's a score to put up on the board:

Surprised you never played it before too!  ?  It's known as one of the best games on the system.  Simple set up, challenging arcade fun!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gezkc said:

I can't believe I've never played this before - what a fantastic game! ?

I'm not very good but here's a score to put up on the board:

DSC_0149.JPG

Very glad you're giving it a try! Once you get into a groove, it's a completely delightful game. The variety of later enemies is great and the difficulty progression is top notch. 

In the midst of all that goodness, is one single, brilliant game design decision: no extra lives!! 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gezkc said:

One thing I can't manage to do in this game is to hit the eye of the Recognizer.

It says you have to hit it from the side or above, but it just seems to bounce of it for me. ?

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this? 

Even if you're exactly online, you still have to get lucky because that little "bar" on the side of its eye area will move up and down and randomly block you.  There are two landmarks to use for the "high" and "low" positions relative to your character, have you figured the positioning out?  I know others can hit diagonals, but I've always gone with the side hits since I can position more consistently there.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, gezkc said:

One thing I can't manage to do in this game is to hit the eye of the Recognizer.

It says you have to hit it from the side or above, but it just seems to bounce of it for me. ?

And you can only hit the eye when it turns white!

Stand with your toes directly on top of the line above where the recognizer stops.

You can also hit it from the center of the line above it or from either side from the line above it  in the middle of the line, by firing the disc at a diagonal.

Confusing,I know and hard to explain. 

Edited by wolfy62
Adding info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, gezkc said:

It's best to hit the eye from the side from a particular position.  Watch the world record holder of this game in the video below, he will show you exactly how it's done.  Enjoy...

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Hmm. I'm using OpenEmu and a PS3 controller and unfortunately it won't let me map the diagonals on the dpad or analog stick. For running, I still have 8 directional movement, but not for shooting. So I've been using the shoulder buttons for the diagonals, but I rarely end up using them. Slight improvement of score...

1926665063_TRON-DeadlyDiscs2020-03-2410_32_30.thumb.png.ba247f9b6c1a8ff1329a2eb0be9804d4.png

I think openemu uses the Bliss emulator.  Mame doesn't let you map dpad diagonals to buttons either.  Jzintv is the only one that does.

If you don't want to use the jzintv emulator, you can get a joystick to keyboard map utility like Joytokey (for Windows).   The computer keyboard is already mapped to the intellivision keypad, so use the utility yo map your dpad to the corresponding keyboard keys.

Edited by mr_me
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I think openemu uses the Bliss emulator.  Mame doesn't let you map dpad diagonals to buttons either.  Jzintv is the only one that does.

Nostalgia also supports diagonal controls.  I've never been able to figure out how to configure Jzintv.  Or rather couldn't be bothered to spend the time to figure it out.  ?

When you have a playstation or xbox style controller, the dpad becomes a pov hat.  Nostalgia can't map the pov hat at all; so the dpad can't be used at all with these type of controllers.  Here's how it's done in jzintv.

JS0_HAT0_NW   PD0L_KP1
 JS0_HAT0_N   PD0L_KP2
 JS0_HAT0_NE   PD0L_KP3
 JS0_HAT0_W   PD0L_KP4
 JS0_HAT0_E   PD0L_KP6
 JS0_HAT0_SW   PD0L_KP7
 JS0_HAT0_S   PD0L_KP8
 JS0_HAT0_SE  PD0L_KP9

2 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

It's best to hit the eye from the side from a particular position.  Watch the world record holder of this game in the video below, he will show you exactly how it's done.  Enjoy...

Thanks Matt,now I am shooting for the world record! ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Disc speed

Definitely in my top 3 favorite Intellivision games

92D33ADA-5853-40EC-8109-DD07CC6E1508.jpeg

Wow! Incredible score! 

For those of you who are good at this game and playing on original hardware, do you play it using two controllers like they suggest in the manual, or one?

If you look at the video of the 11M+ score he's obviously using one controller.  Having the ability to run and shoot at the same time definitely makes it easier to get the orange guards.  Myself, I've never really tried the two controller technique, it calls for lots of practice.  I have tried crossmapping in emulation but I don't like using thumbsticks, I prefer the intellivision controller.  A few people have the "dual action intellivision controller", don't know if anyone here does.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, gezkc said:

Wow! Incredible score! 

For those of you who are good at this game and playing on original hardware, do you play it using two controllers like they suggest in the manual, or one?

Thank you! I’ve always used one controller.  To me, it’s too hard to handle two controllers, I just don’t have the dexterity to do it.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, gezkc said:

I prefer one controller because it makes me more deliberate and tactical in my play, seems to help with focus.  Getting good scores isn't about running and gunning, it's about being smart, blocking disks or waiting till an enemy's disk is way across the map. 

Besides, thematically I always like to imagine that slight pause before throwing is my character setting his feet to make a throw. Very cinematic. ?

• Like 2

I've been trying using one controller and two controllers, and to be honest I'm not sure which I prefer yet - I'm crap both ways! ?

The consensus seems to be to use one though, so I'll give that a go. 

I've got the the hang of hitting the Recognizer now, but still can't manage to block disks coming at me. It means my games don't last very long as I get killed pretty early on! 

I never got into Tron back in the day (the films or the games), so I'm glad this has given me a chance to try this game out. I can see why people really rate it.

Edited by gezkc
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gezkc said:

I've been trying using one controller and two controllers, and to be honest I'm not sure which I prefer yet - I'm crap both ways! ?

The consensus seems to be to use one though, so I'll give that a go. 

I've got the the hang of hitting the Recognizer now, but still can't manage to block disks coming at me. It means my games don't last very long as I get killed pretty early on! 

I never got into Tron back in the day (the films or the games), so I'm glad this has given me a chance to try this game out. I can see why people really rate it.

It can be hard to block discs.  If you stand in a doorway, it makes it a bit easier, especially with the white disc that follows you.  But the best thing is to just avoid them, then attack when your enemies are "disc-less".

This game kicks ass!!  ?  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

But the best thing is to just avoid them, then attack when your enemies are "disc-less".

This game kicks ass!!  ?

Agreed, that's always best. Most of my early deaths come from being cocky and rushing a dude who still has his disk. 

As an aside, isnt the sound of a dying recognizer the best thing ever?   ?

• Like 1