IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 5 - TRON Deadly Discs

4 hours ago, gezkc said:

Thanks! Getting better, but still not great. ?

The scores you're getting are incredible - this game takes a lot of skill. 

Question...after you throw the disc, are you pressing the button again to recall it and get it back quicker?  That’s a key thing you have to do too. Otherwise you’ll wait too long for it to come back and get killed easier. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

39 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Oh interesting. So you have to throw it and then also call it back? What button calls it back?

Any button. Easy to just press the same button you pressed to throw it. See the video I posted earlier. Keep in mind that you don’t have to do it, but it certainly makes a big difference in the game. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

6 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Question...after you throw the disc, are you pressing the button again to recall it and get it back quicker?  That’s a key thing you have to do too. Otherwise you’ll wait too long for it to come back and get killed easier. 

Yes, that's one thing I discovered quite early on!

I think I'm just being impatient and forgetting to avoid being hit! 

• Like 1

After many games yesterday, I finally got one just slightly better than my high from Saturday. I don’t remember ever paying attention to the 5x bonus before yesterday. Get 5x enemy value if you take out the first 3 in a wave before the 4th appears. This is a fun goal. Early on, it’s the way to build score, and therefore, enemy point value quickly. After about 40 to 50k, I’m not good enough to stay out in the open, so I have to be less aggressive and hang out by an open door. After I lose the doors from the recognizer, I stay in a blocking crouch in a corner and block discs and take shots as available. When I’m able to get a 5x bonus at the higher scores, it’s satisfying. 

E3B69860-9A93-448E-8F50-450938A3AEDE.jpeg

• Like 5

On 3/24/2020 at 5:59 PM, mr_me said:

disc speed, mame, intellivision controller

dd1.thumb.png.37d083182cbd6c376f8ec65862d4fe3c.png

One of the things I like about this game is that you only have one life,  So as long as you're alive, it's a potential high score.

This is true. On the other hand, you can be doing fine, then get hit a few times in quick succession, and suddenly your game is over.

11 minutes ago, Ace24 said:

This is true. On the other hand, you can be doing fine, then get hit a few times in quick succession, and suddenly your game is over.

Yep, I died at 200pts yesterday because I got double tagged and couldn't move anywhere in time to avoid the 3rd.

Just now, jblenkle said:

Tron - 900

I really suck at this game. I can never remember which direction to throw the disc.

219181937_joestron-900.thumb.png.35b754a66dfeb481398f24847ef68d3c.png

Usually best to throw them at the bad guys....

?

(I know what you mean, it gets tricky to keep track of where you are on the keypad when folks are chasing you down)

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2020 at 10:46 PM, IntyFanMatt said:

Lol!  I agree with that. Allow the games to be played at a slower speed AND faster for the more experienced players if they wish. 

Yup thats fine, will include disc speed for records and bonus stuff next season 13 (this game is popular here)

We are going to set a record for Press 1 game for Season 12 because (nothing recorded yet) but, you have to play in Press 1 setting to earn that.

This season 12 is a little different, as its just ranking points no bonuses at all, just gameplay!

10 minutes ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Game 1, or Disc? if game 1 it will be in the running for record.

Disc speed. I just can’t bring myself to play it any slower. Disc is basically normal speed. But all the speeds make it the same game anyway. Doesn’t make it harder or easier. All relative. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Disc speed. I just can’t bring myself to play it any slower. Disc is basically normal speed. But all the speeds make it the same game anyway. Doesn’t make it harder or easier. All relative. 

To us that are expert at the game its not hardly a difference,

but, game 1 keeps 'em slower for a while and the recognizer is easier... but faster is accepted in for experts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Game 1, or Disc? if game 1 it will be in the running for record.

Isn't intyfanmatt's score a hsc record for disc speed.

3 hours ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

To us that are expert at the game its not hardly a difference,

but, game 1 keeps 'em slower for a while and the recognizer is easier... but faster is accepted in for experts.

Isn't speed 1 slower for the whole game?  How is the recognizer easier, the paralyzer probe is slower but so are you.  I suppose it's easier having more time to react but the game difficulty is otherwise the same.  There are intellivision cartridges that do have true difficulty levels not just game speeds e.g. AD&D, Sub Hunt, Space Battle.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

An almost respectable score (for me!). 

I need to get better at hitting the recognizer. I can see that it really helps if you can keep a few doors open as you start each new round! 

DSC_0162.JPG

Edited by gezkc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gezkc said:

An almost respectable score (for me!). 

I need to get better at hitting the recognizer. I can see that it really helps if you can keep a few doors open as you start each new round! 

DSC_0162.JPG

Nice! Getting above 100k is where it gets fun. Lots of enemy variety, 10k per kill, 5 hits to kill you, etc. Good stuff if you can adjust to the AI being stronger. Avoid those heavy disks at all costs! ?

• Thanks 1