IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 5 - TRON Deadly Discs

10 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Jacob, there seems to be some disagreement since mr_me made the comment that it is the same game by stating this in a previous post: "Isn't speed 1 slower for the whole game?  How is the recognizer easier, the paralyzer probe is slower but so are you?"

So I see what he is saying...slowing it down doesn't make it any easier because you are also that much slower.  I trust his comments as he is an expert with Inty programming and how the system works.  Personally, I don't mind what happens to the score or where it goes at this point.  I don't feel the desire to play the game on a slower speed than disc speed, and I know that's not what you chose for this one, so it's up to you and I accept that.  But I think you may want to answer mr_me's questions that he asked you in the previous page.

I'm done commenting on this.  Thanks again.

Not having played any speed but disc, I asked if there was something different about the recognizer as suggested.  It's possible game variations were programmed in.  Jacob confirmed there is no difference other than the overall speed.  Even pal systems play at a different speed, not quite as slow as speed 1.

Once you get into multiple millions you've probably mastered this game.  It's just a matter of not making a mistake.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

What the f***!!! That's incredible! 

How long did it take to play that one game???

A little over 3 hours, I think. Had to pause at one point.

Edit: without the pause it was something like 2h30m.

Edited by cmadruga

3 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

Holy wow, this is a fun game. Special thanks to JasonlikesINTV for hooking me up with a nice boxed copy of this one.

Dual controller ftw! ?

Yeah you’ve been missing out on one of the top games for the system for way too long!  Glad you finally got your hands on it.  It’s in my top 3 for sure.  Enjoy!!

On 3/30/2020 at 1:30 PM, IntyFanMatt said:

What do you mean by "which direction"?  Are you throwing it in the direction of the enemies?

I mean I can never figure out what button to press to throw it in a particular direction. I can only usually manage up. Sometimes I throw it at an angle, but usually just up.

6 hours ago, jblenkle said:

I mean I can never figure out what button to press to throw it in a particular direction. I can only usually manage up. Sometimes I throw it at an angle, but usually just up.

I presume you're using the Intellivision controller? If you imagine your Tron is standing in the centre of the keypad (button 5), then you just need to press the keypad button in whichever direction you want to throw relative to that.

So, if you want to throw up, press button 2. If you want to throw up and diagonal right, press button 3, if you want to throw left, press button 4, if you want to throw down and right, press button 9 etc.

Hope that makes sense! ?

Edit: Obviously if you're not using the INTV controller, this will be no help at all! 

Edited by gezkc
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jblenkle said:

If you're using an emulator and a ps/xbox style controller, ideally you'd map the eight throwing buttons to the dpad or one of the analog sticks.

Another small improvement in my PR. I can feel my stress level go up after 1 million. When there one or more orange guys on the field, I have to go after him. When there’s temporarily no orange guys on the field, I go back in the corner to hide from the disc throwers until another orange comes out. Then run out and attack... Intense!!

3F48C0FC-D51F-4D69-836E-3AEC91A8CA5C.jpeg

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Ace24 said:

Another small improvement in my PR. I can feel my stress level go up after 1 million. When there one or more orange guys on the field, I have to go after him. When there’s temporarily no orange guys on the field, I go back in the corner to hide from the disc throwers until another orange comes out. Then run out and attack... Intense!!

I just love the game when it passes 1 million points.  I think it's extremely fun and exciting to dodge and kill the orange guards.  Designers did a fantastic job on this one back in the day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I just love the game when it passes 1 million points.  I think it's extremely fun and exciting to dodge and kill the orange guards.  Designers did a fantastic job on this one back in the day.

Not just that, but the way the elites seem to actually be smarter and how it accelerates beyond 100k pts, it really does feel like a constant battle for your life and can be ended by a single misstep.  

Speaking of, the number of stupid ways to die in this is impressive. Take one hit from a strong disc, and your life is not in your hands. But my favorite is exiting through a door exactly when a guard spawns on the other side. Lovely way to tank a million point run. ?

8 hours ago, BiffMan said:

Not just that, but the way the elites seem to actually be smarter and how it accelerates beyond 100k pts, it really does feel like a constant battle for your life and can be ended by a single misstep.  

Speaking of, the number of stupid ways to die in this is impressive. Take one hit from a strong disc, and your life is not in your hands. But my favorite is exiting through a door exactly when a guard spawns on the other side. Lovely way to tank a million point run. ?

Totally agree. Love the suspense and survival aspects of it. Gotta stay clear of those doors after 1 mil!