IGNORED

Introduction

SuperSixEVO

Hey, forum,

I got my TI back in 84, including joysticks, Wumpus and Tombstone City cartridges. Man, I was jealous with my friends having Extended Basic Modules and one even owning the Speech Synthesizer. Now, 35 years later, I'm back, using the Classic99 emulator. On Ninerpedia (which seams to be dead for a couple of years), I found the challenge to upgrade the old "Bomber" Basic game, which I played hours and hours and hours, so this is my current project to port this to Extended Basic and to port this to GPL and maybe to port this to ASM in the next months.

Let the past be the future 

Edited by SuperSixEVO
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

Welcome! :)

i am curious, you mean this one Bomber or another? 

No, the one that's on my profile picture. This was the original source (https://www.ninerpedia.org/images/d/d8/Dbomber.txt) and I already replaced the bomb by a sprite so that the game doesn't get slower once the bomb is dropped. I plan adding a StuKa (Dive Bomber) mode next where the plane goes down one line and the bomb causes extra damage and after this I'll add defense canons which can be evaded by using an afterburner.

And for those suggesting a Basic Compiler to speed the game up, I coded intros for a cracking group on PC later, so digging deeper into GPL and ASM is an absolute MUST for me ;-) 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, matthew180 said:

A lot of the mess comes from the lack of being able to indent code in BASIC, IMO.  You can't see the structure, so it makes the code hard to follow and keep a mental picture of where you are.  Try TidBit, it might help you organize your code better.

http://codehackcreate.com/archives/237

The editor looks nice, I'll have a closer look at it. Yet, it still leaves the old code unstructured as we weren't forced to a more structured approach but could jump around like a hyperactive kid ;-) So, right now, I just re-think what the result of the code was and then re-write it from scratch. For now I got rid of all the GCHAR calls, reading from video memory is such a bad idea when you actually already know what you put on screen before.

1 hour ago, SuperSixEVO said:

The editor looks nice, I'll have a closer look at it.

It is just a translator, no editor other than the webpage provides a textbox so you can try it out online.  Best to just download the PHP and run it locally.

Yet, it still leaves the old code unstructured...

True.  There is nothing to be done for old original code, except remember how crazy it could get.

... I just re-think what the result of the code was and then re-write it from scratch.

This is the best solution, and this is where TidBit can help you a lot.  You can rewrite your code in a format the allows you to have some structure, forget about line numbers, use labels, etc..  You will still end up with a line-number BASIC (or XB) program, but at least it will have more structure and probably not jump around like the old original code.

... reading from video memory is such a bad idea when you actually already know what you put on screen before.

Agree.  Treating the screen as a write-only device is a good philosophy and practice, IMO.

• Like 1