IGNORED

Famicom disk system hook up question

Clong80

I'm looking to finally get a Famicom and FDS. I've been playing famicom on a converter cartridge because I wasnt sure I'd enjoy it enough to purchase all new consoles. I have a couple options all varying in cost. The one I need assistance with is I can pick up a famicom and FDS with the ram adapter but there's no cables. I'm assuming I'd need to get 2 power adapters (1 for each system) and a video cable to run from one of them to the tv. Is that all I need or is there some kind of link cable or anything else I would need to get? Thanks in advance

The FDS drive can run from batteries or any 9V DC transformer (a Megadrive one will do) and you need the RAM cart adapter. That's all!

Be aware that unless you're buying a tested and fixed one you'll have to replace the drive belt.

A Famicom only require a power supply (9V standard as well) and a video cable (RF only unless you're getting an AV Famicom)

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, 4300 said:

Look into a sharp twin.  One unit,  less bs.

That's what ive leaning towards thur sharp because I think they look badass. The red one not the black one.

1 hour ago, CatPix said:

The FDS drive can run from batteries or any 9V DC transformer (a Megadrive one will do) and you need the RAM cart adapter. That's all!

Be aware that unless you're buying a tested and fixed one you'll have to replace the drive belt.

A Famicom only require a power supply (9V standard as well) and a video cable (RF only unless you're getting an AV Famicom)

Yeah I've read about the belts breaking down.  I'm not worried about it though because I fix broken consoles/retro eletronics on a daily basis for ebay to suport my collecting addiction. 

1 hour ago, CatPix said:

Yep. Those are the "straight bezel" ones, second gen, as opposed to the "half-circle" / "horseshoe" ones.

sharp-twin-famicom-red-and-pale-orange.j

Is there a major difference in build quality or is it just the shape and the addition of the turbo?

By the way, I found some of these today for 15000 yen or so, so they are a bit more expensive than Famicom + a separate FDS.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I haven't heard of a difference in built quality.

There is one technical difference in that in addition to the Turbo switches, the pad cords are longer on the second version. Which isn't saying much :D

I think if you look long enough you can find them for under 100$ and it's important to notice that those have A/V out unlike the Famicom.

They feature both RCA video out and a DIN style plug (to provide power and A/V to an optionnal RF converter) which, in addition to the ample room inside make them ideal candidates for TimRGB mods.

800px-Sharp-Twin-Famicom-Console-BL.jpg

They also aren't prone to yellowing and they are good talk pieces. This might be taken in consideration for someone who isn't very tech savvy and don't want/know how to make a video mod on the Famicom.

Too bad none of them have RGB out. Except the Famicom Titler. Totally not worth it when you can get the Nt Mini from an ebay scalper for about the same amount of money!

And it looks like even the Titler only has internal RGB, so you still need to mod it for RGB out. Disregard!

Edited by Steven Pendleton

5 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

Cheapest sharp twin on ebay right now is 99 with free shipping.  And its broken.  Not even working.

$84 plus shipping for one in full working order. How about you just stop posting your nonsense for once? I bet

your post count would be less than half what it is if you even considered that for one second. Trash posting is just

that, even if you are ignorant to your actions it's really no excuse to flood the forum with daily garbage like you do.

You do not add to the forum in a positive way, you take away from it in a negative way and it's not right

nor is it fair to others.  

• Like 1

Be patient, you'll find a twin for well under 100 speed. You can expect any twin or stand alone disk drive to have a broken belt,  unless specifically listed as being refurbished, which will up the price. Outside of the belt,  there's really no other major known issues with either.