IGNORED

Thrust+ Platinum Announced

Albert

ThrustPlatinum.gifXYPE programmers Thomas Jentzsch and Paul Slocum have joined forces up to create Thrust+ Platinum, an updated version of Thomas Jentzsch's Atari 2600 port of the Commodore 64 classic, which itself took cues from the Atari coin-op game Gravitar. Thrust+ Platinum is now enhanced with a great title theme (listen to it here) composed by Paul Slocum, as well as several other audio enhancements. These audio enhancements add further polish to what was already one of the finest homebrew games on the 2600. Additionally, a new label and manual have been designed by David Exton, who has been the creative force behind artwork gracing many other homebrew games, including the upcoming Star Fire 2600 game by Manuel Polik. Thrust+ Platinum will make its debut at the Austin Gaming Expo.

its a re-creation of a c=64 piece from the 'thrust demo' and that grating opening is there in the original too. Very impressive what paul has managed converting what was once a pretty complicated sid tune. Id love it if they could manage some in-game music. Also, I dont know if it has it, but I hope the game has an option for standard 2600 asteroids style control (many vintage 2600 controllers play these games best in their original control style (like the starplex & the sansei,)) also, I'd love it if the tractor beam bug were fixed (ergo if it worked when you are really close to an item, like the manual tells you,)

anyway, lets see just how many copies of thrust one man can buy... :-)

its a re-creation of a c=64 piece from the 'thrust demo' and that grating opening is there in the original too. Very impressive what paul has managed converting what was once a pretty complicated sid tune.

Yes, IMO Paul did a great job (again!). A huge public THANX to you Paul! :thumbsup:

Id love it if they could manage some in-game music.

Sorry, that wasn't possible. There isn't enough RAM and especially not enough free CPU time left during the game is running. But you get some extra short jingles on the inter mission screens

Also, I dont know if it has it, but I hope the game has an option for standard 2600 asteroids style control (many vintage 2600 controllers play these games best in their original control style (like the starplex & the sansei,))

???

also, I'd love it if the tractor beam bug were fixed (ergo if it worked when you are really close to an item, like the manual tells you,)

Hm, IMO it's a manual bug and not a game bug. :) This should be expained better in the new manual.

anyway, lets see just how many copies of thrust one man can buy... :-)

:D

just in case

concert.gif

Thrust (Rob Hubbard)  

The loud siren noises at the start of the pieces tell you immediately that this is not an ordinary piece of music. From then on, drums rule with some guitar chords jives and cymbal smashes. So good it inspired a demo concert around the music, written by the duo Stoat and Tim.

Also, I dont know if it has it, but I hope the game has an option for standard 2600 asteroids style control (many vintage 2600 controllers play these games best in their original control style (like the starplex & the sansei,))

???

Well i know thrust has evolved many convoluted control schemes using foot pads and what not. Im just saying, Im hoping (since I havent checked,) that it still has the standard up thrust, down tractor, left/right, fire button to fire...

btw, again, great job on da thrust

???

Well i know thrust has evolved many convoluted control schemes using foot pads and what not. Im just saying, Im hoping (since I havent checked,) that it still has the standard up thrust, down tractor, left/right, fire button to fire...

This is a common misunderstanding. All of the newer versions of Thrust can still be played with support the 2600 joystick with the standard Asteroids control scheme.

I think it should be more clearly stated, though. I overheard someone at PC4 passing on the Driving Controller edition because he thought it only worked with a driving controller.

Hi there!

Well if this is the final version of thrust.. this is the one I'm getting :P

Ok, then get it! :D

Fine. So I'll finally get it :)

BTW: Was the MP3 made from the latest binary? I thought I once heard a slightly improved version of the song, but I'm not sure.

Greetings,

Manuel

BTW: Was the MP3 made from the latest binary? I thought I once heard a slightly improved version of the song, but I'm not sure.

Paul made the MP3 that was posted, so we'd need to ask him. I would hope, though, that it's the same tune that's in the binray. I'll point Paul to this thread if he hasn't seen it yet. :)

..Al

Hm, the MP3 sounds (quite) exactly like my binary (the demo beeing a bit shorter though) and I don't know about a improved version. Where did you get that info?

Hi there!

Hm, the MP3 sounds (quite) exactly like my binary (the demo beeing a bit shorter though) and I don't know about a improved version. Where did you get that info?

Uhm, where did I get which info from?

Greetings,

Manuel

Yeah, I accidentally sent a slightly out-of-date version, but it's very close. The main different is that the final version includes my software high-hat which adds more percussion without intruding on the melodies.

Here's a clip of the final version:

thrust_final_clip.mp3 (400k)

This song was the most difficult I've done yet. Hubbard makes full use of the three voices on the SID, so it was tough to cram it all into two. I had to change a few notes to keep them in tune on the 2600, but for the most part it's pretty close.

-Paul