IGNORED

What are Atari's selling for now please..

Mclaneinc

I'm sort of being forced to sell some stuff (but fighting it off at the mo) but I looked in the FS forum and there's hardly a single Atari or any sort on the first few pages and I'm desperate to avoid Ebay as they take enough of a cut to annoy.

I'm just wonder what a 65XE, 800XL's and maybe an 800 go for....All stock machines, zero upgrades..All UK...Not looking to get rich, just fair money.

With my daughter in between College and Uni with that looking to stay that way with COVID19 ruling leaves us with no income from her so the belt is bloody tight.

Very very weird times...

• Sad 3

I'm really sorry to hear this, I keep looking at some of my stuff and think I will probably have to sell at least some of it.
From what I hear, ebay is dead at the moment. The world is too uncertain at the moment and there are a lot of people in a very bad place right now.

Good luck, and stay safe 

That's what I thought, thank you for the concern, yeah its a bit tough but it was just to build up a small emergency stash but we are not foodless or with zero money, its something that we will get through and apart from that I kept looking at the extra machines and thought they should be with someone who wants them more and will make use of them, I'll still keep my 130XE no matter what.

As said, not an emergency, just a better use of resources :)

• Like 1

One of the reasons it's dead is that things are being put up for sale at really stupid prices - well, the systems are anyway. They're horrendous.

Problem is we're all pretty much in the same boat. I'd be in the market for an 800 if I could sell (fix first) some of the XLs I have lying around.

I got £130+postage each for a 130XE and a 65XE (with 128K) a few days ago.  Modded with UAV, electrolytic capacitors changed, new keyboard membrane, including a good quality USB 5V PSU, and homemade S-video/composite cable. Fully tested.  Both were everyday drivers until very recently, so known to be good.  Stock, I reckon you could get £90-100, if fully working.

Having said that market can be strange, I got a 600XL for £30 a few weeks ago, with nothing and not tested, was worth the risk.  Now my only 8 bit.

Edited by marauder666
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies people, like all of us I'm trying not to get rid of the gear as much as possible, I'm not in dire straights and it was just a what do they go for type of message, I'm just looking at options and as said I have spares that are doing nothing but if the market is dead then I'd be better to keep them as spares, I'd never expect to get top dollar and I'd avoid ebay and put them on here for real people at real Non ebay prices but am just seeing what they go for on average as I've not brought a machine in moons, a disk drive yes but not the computers themselves.

If they are to go here will get first dibs...

And please, I've had a few emails and I want to ensure people that we are OK, it purely was to see if it was worthwhile as a small fall back and to be honest its looking like its not worth selling it, anything Serena might need for Uni would wipe it out in seconds which just seems silly. What I'll do is when all this has been seen through I'll reassess my want of the stuff and there could well be some bargains in the future for you guys, anyone who knows me with know I get more out of things going to good homes than making money, if I can sell something and make a little bit and know someone has had a good deal then that's fine with me but with a dead market and a wish to avoid ebay its just not a good ideal to sell it seems.

Thanks for replying people...Off for another huge mug of tea. :)

Another way to look at this, a possible theory anyway, is that with everyone selling hardware at such ridiculous prices on eBay, that if you actually put your systems up, @Mclaneinc , at a fair price, even taking into account eBay's cut, they just might sell quickly and you can get what you expect to get in the net sale. 

It would be nice if eBay did something to give back to the world at this time, like no fee listings or something, go back to their roots, at least temporarily, with pricing, etc. 

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

I know what you are saying Matt and appreciate it but since posting this I have been thinking long and hard and even if I sold them all at fair prices including the cut I'm pretty much realising the little pot of money would just go. We will just ride out the shortfall, no more dream holidays (I wish) and just do what people do at times like this, tighten the belt and stop moaning. I might have to be really nice to my in laws if anything is needed but her dementia and well being is far more serious than my Atari's. Just trying stopping her going out is a day to day job and she's not feeling well either but the sec she see's a blue sky its like her head says "right, I'm off".

Ebay give something back, you been drinking Matt :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

I agree - replacement cost vs sales cost. --- Even if you find a great deal you will be selling your hardware and not able to recoup your time you put into research, acquisition, maintenance, modification, etc.

I have made mistakes like this in the past; concerned about my problem so I felt I needed to take some sort of action. It boils down to this - unless your actions will completely remove the problem - they are the wrong actions - and will probably just result in a new problem. 

Now, if you find yourself without food and dying of starvation - please, trade the Atari for some bread. Otherwise, your hobby isn't the problem nor the solution.

--EDIT--

But you're probably a decent guy for looking to first sacrifice from yourself for others. Cheers

Edited by MrFSL
  • Like 2

I need to thin the "herd" as well, too many 'backups'.... more than I will use in the of my life.  But, i love them so much.  I really must be a hoarder at heart....always aware that they don't make these things no more.  Anyway, it's not just Atari I am that way with.  I also am a old camera nut; still shoot film when I can.  I shoot all formats; 35mm, 110, 120, and yes, 126 cartridges.  I have a stash of frozen film (wifey hates that it takes up valuable freezer space and wants me to dump all of it.  I just cannot.  They don't make 126 film anymore.  I bought a boatload of it right before production ceased (2011 or so).  Anyway, it's hard to part with our beloveds.   I totally understand when people are put into a position to have to part with their stuff (one must eat and live).  I have sold stuff in the past, only to regret it later.  Then I have to pay through the nose to reacquire them.   Such is life.  I pray this will end sooner than later.  I fear the economic situation will be much worse one month from today.  Hell, no one is working/producing.  How can it possibly be better in the near future?  

Sadly all true...This is going to be one very very slow recovery...

I used to be a camera nut but as per this thread I sold off all but two of them, I just have my Coolpix L810 and my pride and joy, a Panasonic Lumix TZ70 Leica...Not stunning camera's but nice, still would like to have my old Zenith E back :)

I would not call you a hoarder, hoarders buy any old junk as long as they think its got a use but predominantly because its cheap, us lot know exactly what we want and mostly it gets a use and boy is it NOT cheap :)

Here's to better times....

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Prices have gone up the last few years.  Seems a 800XL has been selling from $150 to $200.  They are still going at that amount it seems, but not selling too well. 

This trend has affected ALL retro computers.  And the most insane has been the Atari Falcon030.  One sold for $4,100 recently.  Though they tend to sell for around $1500 to $2000.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=atari+800xl+computer&_sop=12

Edited by tjlazer

my cat submitted and offer for 100.00 dollars on a very poor looking disk drive and 800, The guy banned me asap from further bids and didn't even accept ebay messages from me to explain the low bid ... as when I tried to enter a real bid it said it the seller wouldn't let me...

not much of a seller reacting like that... untested might we add, probably did me a favor...

glad the cat didn't bid 1000000.00   :)      oh well must be a TEXAS thing...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Haha 2

Hi,

I don't have a crystal ball, but I figure this will be the peak price period for retro kit for a while, due to people holding off on discretionary spending, more items coming on to the market due to people clearing out their own lofts/storage during corona virus lockdown and other peoples lofts/storage space (due to corona virus deaths, assuming kit doesn't go to landfill when people want to get a vacant property on the market quickly). My own weakness is for 1050 drives, but I'm reluctant to pay too much for one, unless it has an exotic mod. I would really like to get an 810 at some point, but they don't come on to the market very often here (UK), but that's about the only thing I would like to buy. I'm thinking of not buying any original 8-bit kit for the next 6 months, if prices crash then I've made the right decision, if they increase it will probably be only by a bit. Having said all that, I should try and sell off one or two 800xl systems, but I've held off till now on the basis that I like to have spares.

Even being in lockdown the last week, I've been so busy I have only managed about 45 minutes of Atari time (Bandits!), but I'm hoping things will settle down in a week or so, and I will get some peace and quiet and can start 8-bit hacking again.

Hope everyone is being careful about corona virus!

Recessions/depressions great time to buy anything... if you have the cash reserves.  People in crisis often have to sell at a loss for cheap to make ends meet. :(  Sad reality of this unfortunate situation. Priorities change also. The wealthy will get wealthier. The poor will get poorer.  There will be some good deals soon on A8s (and everything else) online as the prices inevitably drop considerably from the silly highs they’ve been at recently. Bubble broken. 

Edited by YSG2020
  • Like 1

Hi,

I think there is a certain amount of chaos in the online markets at the moment. Some goods have gotten really expensive (IPA for example, as you can make hand sanitizer with it), but some things seem to be getting cheaper as I have a feeling people don't want to be left with too much stock when cash/liquidity is King. I got a 4GB Raspberry Pi a couple of weeks ago for  £29.99, which is much cheaper than usual. Not sure if the seller was being squeezed, or wanted to cash out. The Pi is on the list to be set up, but it's still in decontamination/holding.

Its all starting to sound a little ghoulish, I pulled my machines as I could not see the point of putting them up to go on a dead market and lose them for money that wasn't going to help the cause it was for. As seen over the last few weeks there rampant profiteering on items to combat the virus but stagnation in other stuff. I still can't get over the guy who brought out as much of the hand sanitiser from local states to him to the tune of 17,000 plus bottles in order to profiteer on Ebay etc, nice to see he didn't get away with it but the ghoulish side says that there will be people saying "well that is what Ebay is all about"..

• Like 1