IGNORED

XL Eprom Burner Help

5 hours ago, invisible kid said:

Hello,

If anyone one has or has had any experience with the xl eprom burner (the one that plugs into the cart slot of an xl/xe) and can spare a few posts/time to help me out with a couple questions please reply or send a private message. It would be much appreciated!

A picture of the device would help us identify it. Is it an orange cart with a socket on top?

• Like 1

Sorry, it's this one:

https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=ralf-davids-xlxe-eprom-burner-bundle

I ordered the PIAs from Best. My first question is the two eprom-type selector switches are 3-way instead of 2-way, so should I ignore the middle position of each switch? My second question is is there a quick sanity test I can do to determine if there are any hardware flaws? I have not erased the eproms yet, but did an empty check on them via the menu but get an error, and then when I hit any key it says its empty. Attempting to read the eproms give me an error. Thanks for replying.

2 hours ago, invisible kid said:

My first question is the two eprom-type selector switches are 3-way instead of 2-way, so should I ignore the middle position of each switch?

According to the manual, contained in a zip file available on product page, once you select an EPROM type the switch positions needed will be displayed on the right side of the screen. 

https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=ralf-davids-xlxe-eprom-burner-bundle

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! BillC: Yes, the positions are also printed on the circuit board, but the issue is instead of 2-way switches they are 3-way. I was just hoping someone might be familiar with this and know off-hand, but maybe I can figure it out by closely examining the connected leads and researching the switch types.

39 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

Thanks for the replies! BillC: Yes, the positions are also printed on the circuit board, but the issue is instead of 2-way switches they are 3-way. I was just hoping someone might be familiar with this and know off-hand, but maybe I can figure it out by closely examining the connected leads and researching the switch types.

Treat the switches as two way.  They are not wired as three way. 

So all the way down or all the way up.  Etc.  :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, invisible kid said:

When I check if an eprom is empty I get error $(FF), and when I try to read one I get I/O Error $(82). Any debugging help would be appreciated, not too concerned if it's broken, this is just fun/hobby for me.

Make sure all of the fields are set correctly for the specific size of eprom.  Manually enter in the starting and ending address. 

If you have other eproms, even if they are different sizes try them and see if size matters or other eproms are doing the same thing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

make sure those proms are completely erased and the proms window covered and sealed when programming...

I like the metal foil backed floppy disk write protect stickers for EPROMs. They protect against UV and more energetic waves / particles. X-Rays and stuff.

Use a black fine point Sharpie to write on it.

Edited by Kyle22
More info.
  • Like 2

Bah, it's over. One of the pin receptors in one of the PIA sockets wasn't taking the pin correctly and as I tried to fix it it just spiraled downward to a point that looks not worth trying to salvage. Thanks for trying to help! My main goal is to end up burning a 4-in-1 os, any recommendations for a burner? I didn't have much luck on Amazon, which is why I got this one.

Edited by invisible kid

On 3/27/2020 at 6:19 PM, Nezgar said:

If you hack it for more functionality, just don't update it beyond a certain point or it will brick See my upgrade thread for more info.

Look here:

• Like 1