IGNORED

Flappy Bird

JetSetIlly

Before working on Gopher2600 I created a version of Flappy Bird as a way of learning about the 2600. I've uploaded the source code to GitHub. Nothing special but I think it's fun.

https://github.com/JetSetIlly/Atari2600-Flappy-Bird

(Screenshot taken through Stella because Gopher2600 doesn't support TV effects yet. The game really needs phosphor fade due to my excessive use of flicker.)

[edit: Gopher2600 v0.8 does now provide a basic phosphor fade]

Untitled.png

[edit: updated version of the basic binary that produces a constant 262 scanlines. the original version was 263 scanlines]

flappy.bin

Edited by JetSetIlly
added binary
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

We'll be featuring Flappy Bird LIVE on tomorrow's (Sat Apr 11) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/26/2020 at 12:15 PM, JetSetIlly said:

I've not tested what happens when it reaches 99. That's your challenge ?

I'm possibly going to get a track started elsewhere, try to "force" some 2600 geniuses(...not me)into giving 99 a try!

Just now seeing this, haven't played it, but interested!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

@JetSetIlly has allowed Flappy Bird to be added to the high score club.

Stephen Illingworth did a wonderful job making this game, and It's a lot of fun to play!

Somehow I missed the game last year, but fortunately the game was nominated for the Atari 2600: Best ≤ 4K Homebrew (Port) - 3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards

As always, PlusCart user/tester can find the PAL60, and NTSC versions in the PlusStore directory "Public ROMs\PlusROMs\High Score Club"

The NTSC version can be played online in javatari.js. The ROM-file can also be played with Gopher2600 (which is also done by @JetSetIlly).

The "PlusCart High Score Club" page for Flappy Bird:
https://highscore.firmaplus.de/?game_id=34

549609795_FlappyBird.png.746b69fba809ea415ee1d963b8eb1fff.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CrazyChris said:

Al_Nafuur,

What is the difference between "Flappy Bird HSC NTSC.bin" and flappy.bin from the

first post?

Thanks,

Chris

The version @Al_Nafuur posted has support for the PlusCart.

Also note that I've updated the binary in the first post. The original version produced 263 scanlines which can cause problems on real hardware. To be clear, both versions (the normal and the PlusCart binary) now produce a more correct TV image.

13 hours ago, CrazyChris said:

What is the difference between "Flappy Bird HSC NTSC.bin" and flappy.bin from the

first post?

13 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

The version @Al_Nafuur posted has support for the PlusCart.

To be more precise, the ROM uses PlusROM functions on devices (currently only the PlusCart) and emulators (Gopher2600 and Javatari) that support this functions to let the ROM communicate with it's backend in the internet.

The HSC PlusROMs only send data to their backend and don't need the data from the backend response, so they work normal on hardware or emulators without PlusROM support (of course except that your score is not store online).

22 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

Also note that I've updated the binary in the first post. The original version produced 263 scanlines which can cause problems on real hardware. To be clear, both versions (the normal and the PlusCart binary) now produce a more correct TV image.

The HSC ROM also supports the exit function (Joystick right + Reset) to exit the emulation on multicarts that support these function. Currently only the PlusCart supports this, but the UnoCart and maybe the Harmony will support this too.

@JetSetIlly have you added these addition to the ROM in the first post too?

• Like 1