J-Data

TIPI in a Speech Synthesizer Housing?

What do you all think of the idea of combining the 32K sidecar and TIPI into a single PCB, (using the speech synthesizer PCB board outline), and putting it in a speech synthesize housing?  A Pi ZeroW  could be board-to-board top mounted on the TIPI with SD card access through the synthesizer's door, making is a very small neat package.

I know it all seems too big for the synthesize's PCB, but the glue logic on the 32K could be incorporated into the TIPI's CPLD, and maybe a single 74HCT245 buffer could be shared between the ROM and RAM chips.  Possibly change all ICs to SMT.   

Bad idea? 

If it's possible, (I have no clue) I'm not sure how well it would sell as quite a few people already have TIPI's in one form or another.  Some of them might want to upgrade to SAMS capability as well.  This also seems like quite a bit to sandwich into a Speech Synthesizer case, assuming everyone has one.  This configuration might limit future expansion options as well.  Honestly, while I know it works, I'm no fan of the Pi Zero for TIPI use, I'd suggest at least an RPi 3 or 3B+.  Of course I feel compelled to state that this is only MY OPINION, others may think differently.

For a more compact approach, with current available hardware, I'd suggest a new bottom half for the console that would give one an extra inch of space to put hardware.  One could always run a ribbon cable out of the TI and under the speech case and then plug it in the side.  It would hardly be noticeable.

24 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

Honestly, while I know it works, I'm no fan of the Pi Zero for TIPI use, I'd suggest at least an RPi 3 or 3B+. 

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the Pi Zero?  Seems to work fine for me, but I'm not a power user.  Would prefer a wired Ethernet, but I love the board to board mount capability and the ridiculously low cost. I have many 3B+'s in my house but am using the ZeroW, just for how clean it is on the TIPI.

20200223_125142.jpg

No, I won't do wireless on anything cept my phone, no choice... but speech SHOULD go with Tipi housing I think.yes if possible.

I can do some wireless, so I can take that back a bit.. depending on availability of cable and where it is.

But my pi 3 will be wired

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

I kinda love the idea of putting modern expansions in speech synthesizer casings. Just for the confusion as people look at your TI and try to figure out why it has four speech synthesizers attached and nothing else.

• Like 1