IGNORED

TIPI in a Speech Synthesizer Housing?

J-Data

On 5/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, INVISIBLE said:

Shame they are so expensive. ☹️

I could see spending $50 for a NOS PHP1500 just to have an absolutely perfect example for a collection but I can’t imagine there is a market at $150, especially when you have a case of them (48) to unload.

First two beta units sent out today.  More next week.  Hoping to get some good feedback.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2020 at 11:11 AM, J-Data said:

First two beta units sent out today.  More next week.  Hoping to get some good feedback.  

Ordered the inexpensive mouse for this unit.  It should arrive on June 2nd, but I promise feedback ASAP! 

You know, I've had a video planned for my "portable system" for over a year, but something always seems to get in the way of filming it.  First I was waiting on something, then I got busy, then the weather turned bad, and now all this social distancing stay at home garbage.  But now that I'll have this gadget, I think the video will be better and more informative than I originally planned. 

• Like 1

@jedimatt42 was kind enough to let me contribute my TIPI/32K HW design to his TIPI github repository.  You can find the Schematics/PCB/SMT design and manufacturing files, and the one-off CPLD derivative design and JEDEC files there.  It currently has the V0 version, but I'll upload V1 once I've received and tested that build (hopefully tomorrow).   Still planning to make some CPLD enhancements, and some PCB design for manufacturing improvements, but current design is surprisingly good to build as it is. 

https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/tree/master/hardware/tipi-speech

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The cheap mouse arrived and it works just fine with Stuart's Internet Browser.  With this in mind, are there any cool URL's that could/should be highlighted in a video?  As time allows I'm getting the portable unit setup and ready for the "TI Road Trip" video and with any luck should be filming in the next week or two.

1494997652_CheapMouse.thumb.JPG.c5bca2ce8f76200dc267b554c5afd07e.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, INVISIBLE said:

With this in mind, are there any cool URL's that could/should be highlighted in a video?

I think @jonecool’s ti99 web page is one of the best as is myti99.com.  All the ones in the proper ti99 markup that I’m aware of are listed in this thread.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

The cheap mouse arrived and it works just fine with Stuart's Internet Browser. 

You really have to try TI artist with the wireless mouse too.  The cursor is so responsive its almost unbelievable from a 40 year old system.  It does take a special driver on the TI artist disk to use the TIPI mouse, but it should already be set-up on the SD card I sent ( DSK1=DSK.INSECTBOT in the TIPI disk definition I think and then launch extended basic).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, fimbulvetr said:

Yep, I’ve been eyeing those. That one doesn’t ship to Canada though. One went for over CAN$300 last week on eBay. After shipping it would have been close to CAN$400. Too much for me for something that is just cool to have. One of these days....

"Someday", "someone" might make a new inexpensive speech in the box adapter.  A few years back someone was making one, but after he built his prototype model, things kind of turned to vapor and he dropped out of sight.  I cannot even remember his user name now.

Now for those wanting RTC's, the TIPI kinda of scooched into that niche, it's just a matter of time (I believe) before people start making or modifying programs to use the TIPI/RPi clock.  I can envision programs like Remind ME!, BOOT or the 9640 Menu System having new versions for people to use.  I'm bet there are far more people in the active TI user community with TIPI's than there are with CorComp or compatible clocks.

• Like 1

Question regarding measurements:

TIPI/32 to PI Zero W to make a connector.  (Base of TIPI connector to bottom base of PI in mm)

I want it to clear the shelf in speech synthesizer.  Will roll my own with spare parts. 

No worries if number is not easily available. TIPI should be here tomorrow.

Question regarding measurements:

TIPI/32 to PI Zero W to make a connector.  (Base of TIPI connector to bottom base of PI in mm)
I want it to clear the shelf in speech synthesizer.  Will roll my own with spare parts. 
No worries if number is not easily available. TIPI should be here tomorrow.
The right size connector comes with it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hi @dgrissom,  I found the ideal rise for the Pi to be about 0.500" or 13mm off the TIPI/32K board.  This is quite a bit taller than a standard board to board connector, but more standard connectors can be made to work.  I use is the Samtec ESQ-105-23-T-D which we've been including with each unit.  Details on how to install in the TIPI/32K wiki I set-up here: 

https://github.com/jgparker/tipi/wiki

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Samtec

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jrhodes said:

I think you wanted to post this in the ebay heads up thread? Not seeing how this relates to the current thread subject. Just saying.

Yup.  Sometimes in my old age I forget which thread I'm in at the moment.  Thanks for the gentle reminder, and not a blunt force object to the head like some would have done.

** EDIT **

Looking back, I see how this morphed from messages #58 & #60.  Still, my bad.

Edited by Omega-TI
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 7:55 PM, J-Data said:

Hi @dgrissom,  I found the ideal rise for the Pi to be about 0.500" or 13mm off the TIPI/32K board.  This is quite a bit taller than a standard board to board connector, but more standard connectors can be made to work.  I use is the Samtec ESQ-105-23-T-D which we've been including with each unit.  Details on how to install in the TIPI/32K wiki I set-up here: 

https://github.com/jgparker/tipi/wiki

Let me know if you have any questions. 

I received my board today. I appreciate the thought and and quality that you and Arcade Shopper put into this package. Connectors, header pins, jumper is all there. Mine is up and running! Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J-Data said:

Awesome!  Let me know what you've been able to do with it so far and if you have any questions. 

So far things are great!  Still finding my way around!

I am thinking about adding 2 toggle switches to my case.

One to toggle the CRUBASE to 1800 to allow me to use my nanoPEB.

The other (and I am not certain if this is a good idea or not to toggle the from internal console to external micro USB power.

(Currently using external power.) It would be nice to be able switch power sources in the future without disassembly of the case.

Finally, has anyone added a "shutdown" button to their PI yet?  I have one on my PI3.   A momentary switch with a small bit of python code works wonders to turn that unit off and on.  I've added an external power and disk activity light to that unit as well.  (It is part of my Franken99 project.). It may be overkill for this system. ?

Thanks for designing such a great little piece of Hardware!

David

• Like 3

Once I get mine all up, I've seen a video somewhere, I'll have to dig it up, that senses power down to a shutdown, I'll be invoking..so far I've not had a reason as I've been powering off MAIN POWER without a shutdown with no side affects, but I suppose I'll have to have this new shutdown in place for this setup.

Edited by GDMike

Can someone elaborate on what's required to set the nanopeb to work?  

From an engineering point of view, I would assume it is required to disable the onboard 32k of the TIPI/32K, and set the crubase to something other than >1100. 

The TIPI was designed to co-exist with other floppy controllers, with maximum function having the crubase set to >1000. 

There are 4 jumpers that control the crubase on the original... I'm getting hints that on the TIPI/32K the 8's bit was used to control the 32k AND the 8's bit... I recommend it should have been removed from the crubase control entirely and just be a 32K toggle.  That leaves the other 3 bits of the nibble for crubase under jumper control, so that it can run at >1000 and intercept with drive mappings, run at >1100 if no floppy controller exists, or run at >1200, >1400, >1500, >1600, or >1700 to let a floppy controller have first call on DSK access..   This would be a CPLD / Verilog change.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

I recommend it should have been removed from the crubase control entirely and just be a 32K toggle. 

I can do that.  I'll generate a new TIPI/32K CPLD version that uses only the first 3 bits for CRUBASE equal to >1000 to >1700 and the last bit to disable the internal RAM.    That makes more sense than the current CRUBASE of >1800 or greater to disable, since I hear the NanoPEB may take over all DSK function with the TIPI/32K set so >1800 so obviously not a good choice. 

Falls into the category of interoperability issues you can't imagine until someone tries it. 

• Like 2