IGNORED

TIPI in a Speech Synthesizer Housing?

J-Data

1 minute ago, J-Data said:

I can do that.  I'll generate a new TIPI/32K CPLD version that uses only the first 3 bits for CRUBASE equal to >1000 to >1700 and the last bit to disable the internal RAM.    That makes more sense than the current CRUBASE of >1800 or greater to disable, since I hear the NanoPEB may take over all DSK function with the TIPI/32K set so >1800 so obviously not a good choice. 

Falls into the category of interoperability issues you can't imagine until someone tries it. 

I am getting to be a pest!  Slap my hand!

That's what we users tend to do.  Mess with the programmers! ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Updated CPLD file for the TIPI/32K is attached.  In this version now ignore the 4th CRUBASE jumper for CRU addressing but still uses it for RAM disable.  This will allow a CRU addresses of >1000 to >1700  with or without the RAM disabled.  I tested with a SAMS and work, but don't have a NanoPEB.  You do need to cycle power between jumper changes or the CRU address will not update.  RAM disable is immediate. 

Instructions for loading the CPLD using the Pi are located here:

https://github.com/jgparker/tipi/wiki/CPLD-Programming

but you will have to manually load the attached JEDEC file into the pi and update the file name. 

<<Deleted file>>

Edited by J-Data
Posted wrong version of file.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, J-Data said:

Updated CPLD file for the TIPI/32K is attached.  In this version now ignore the 4th CRUBASE jumper for CRU addressing but still uses it for RAM disable.  This will allow a CRU addresses of >1000 to >1700  with or without the RAM disabled.  I tested with a SAMS and work, but don't have a NanoPEB.  You do need to cycle power between jumper changes or the CRU address will not update.  RAM disable is immediate. 

but you will have to manually load the attached JEDEC file into the pi and update the file name. 

tipi-32k_top-v2.jed 122.64 kB · 2 downloads

That's awesome! Quick turnaround :) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, J-Data said:

tipi-32k_top-v2.jed 122.64 kB · 1 download

J-Data:

Mission accomplished.  CPLD is reprogrammed.  Am surprised it worked -- You are looking at a person who has crapped out more than one firmware update in his life.  Your site instructions were spot on.  I downloaded the v2 file and flashed it as named.

(Am NOW experienced!)

Problems  (NONE with Unexpected behavior!)

Everything is working without ANY jumpers set.

No memory conflicts - nothing.  If I jumper the last pair - The system will crash with lots of nasty noises!

Drive Priority works perfectly with TIPI @ >1000 and NanoPEB at >1100.  According to the "drives" cmd in Force Command all expected drives are present.  If I remove/erase DSK1-3 mapped drives from the TIPI configuration the nanoPEB drives show up and load and run files in XBASIC.

AUTOCMD now runs first from TIPI (desirable!).

If I remove the TIPI from the chain (Speech and Nano) Nano works!

If I remove the Nano from the chain TIPI works.

Nano's RS232 seems to work.

I'll continue to test and let you know if anything comes up.  So far -- so excellent!

Thanks 

Edited by dgrissom
Left off 2 system tests...

1 hour ago, dgrissom said:

If I jumper the last pair - The system will crash with lots of nasty noises!

I'm really sorry.  I posted the wrong version of the updated file, which was an earlier test build that still had a bug.  The correct one, that had been fully tested is now attached.  (I was in a rush to get back to work after lunch). 

The bad version does disable the RAM with the 4th jumper set, but will always have a CRU address of >1100 with ANY jumper set, including the 4th (used "&&" rather than "&" on the  CRUBASE mask operation to strip out the 4th bit in Verilog). 

This corrected version give address >1000 and ram disabled with only the fourth jumper set (the goal), and from 1100 to 1700 with first 3 jumpers sets regardless of the fourth jumper. 

Sorry for the confusion.  Hopefully this resolves the issue you're seeing (both TIPI and NanoPEB with CRU address of >1100 might explain the behavior.)

tipi-32K_top-v3.jed

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, J-Data said:

Sorry for the confusion.  Hopefully this resolves the issue you're seeing (both TIPI and NanoPEB with CRU address of >1100 might explain the behavior.)

tipi-32K_top-v3.jed 122.64 kB · 2 downloads

"The bad version does disable the RAM with the 4th jumper set, but will always have a CRU address of >1100 with ANY jumper set, including the 4th" 

That explains why it crashed when I jumpered it. 

Actually, that V2 seems to work perfectly.  CRU TIPI >1000  NanoPEB >1100.  (Again with no jumpers).

Currently, the only thing that I am upset about is that I had 2 neat switches on the front of my Speech / TIPI case.  One those switches is now completely useless.  That hole will have to take momentary contact switch for my PI's power off/on routine. 

To fully test, I need a link to a good memory checker! - Someone mention Fred Kahl's site.  I'll check there.)

BTW:  I accidently left the power engaged on the console and plugged the Raspberry PI to external power while testing.  It did EXACTLY as you described and made lots of neat noises and the console power light  lit up when its power was off!  (I quickly switched the TIPI PI switch to external power and will try not to do that again!)

I've downloaded v3 and will set it back up to update it if in a little while for testing.  (I just put it back the TIPI back into its case) ?

Thanks for your patches.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgrissom said:

One those switches is now completely useless.  That hole will have to take momentary contact switch for my PI's power off/on routine.

Or you could put the TIPI activity LED there.  Its in about the right spot. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

@dgrissomHere is a good memory checker that runs from things like the finalGROM:  https://github.com/jedimatt42/ti994a-32kmemtest/releases

Exactly what I needed.  (Fred's test worked  from MiniMemory but not EA Carts.)  This one worked right out of the box.  Am trying out the Burnin (On Pass 6).  I like that is runs from FG99.   No problems so far! 

Thanks to you and J-Data for your help.  Its looking like I am going to have a heck of a little TI. (Only needs 80 columns).  

David

• Like 3

On 6/16/2020 at 4:29 PM, J-Data said:

tipi-32K_top-v3.jed 122.64 kB · 6 downloads

I used v3 to reprogram the CPLD.  The external RAM switch is needed again to switch from TIPI to Nano RAM.  ;-)

• All TIPI drives are on 1000.
  • All Nano drives are 1100.  
  • If no TIPI drive is assigned to a DSK# then the Nano DSK# is read.

I've added and testing the wiring for the PI's soft on/off switch.  (The switch should be here tomorrow.)   

I will be adding an external power light to enclosure (I may go all out and show both power and activity - I have a bunch of 2 color LED's.)

Update:  Decided there were too many wires inside the enclosure and just went with a green external LED for rPI power.  Shutdown/Start switch is working great.  (If I can just remember to use it before cycling the TI's power I can run on internal power. Bad habits are hard to break!!!)

Edited by dgrissom
Added update on LED and soft power button.
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

This is pretty awesome.  I have gotten mine setup and have added a single pushbutton switch that can reboot or shutdown the TIPI, depending on how long you press it, based on http://scruss.com/blog/2017/10/21/combined-restart-shutdown-button-for-raspberry-pi/

I was also thinking that it would be cool to add a load interrupt switch as well.  Has anyone done that?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 8:30 PM, J-Data said:

image.thumb.png.b5e0722455259a682a73cf1ef65c9011.png

Out for Fab.  To lazy to solder fine pitch components myself, so I'm letting the CM solder the SMT parts.

Hey Yo,

I have had a request to make a beige enclosure that can fit this-- Can you get me this 3D object in STP format? I dont need pretty colors or anything, I just need an accurate volumetric model.

No it's not.

The speech synth has 3 screw holes that I am using to mechanically restrain the board with.  This device has no such provision.  I will have to mechanically restrain it with an overhang in the top half of the shell, and I would like to avoid colliding with anything when I design such provision.

A STP file will give me all I need.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if there is an STL file of the TI Speech Synthesizer case that can be 3D printed available anywhere?

I just received my TIPI-32K and now I'm trying to figure out how to put it together with my Pi Zero 2 W... Got no instructions with the board at all.

Parts.thumb.jpg.a6ae43a288c1003e310a64a2c15bd461.jpg

Edited by Calab

26 minutes ago, Calab said:

Does anyone know if there is an STL file of the TI Speech Synthesizer case that can be 3D printed available anywhere?

I just received my TIPI-32K and now I'm trying to figure out how to put it together with my Pi Zero 2 W... Got no instructions with the board at all.

A good place to start for TIPI is:  Home · jedimatt42/tipi Wiki · GitHub

TiPI/32:  Home · jgparker/tipi Wiki · GitHub

I have one as well and may be able to help.

David G

28 minutes ago, Calab said:

I think arcade shopper will sell a 3d printed speech synth case. I don't recall if anyone open sourced an STL

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dgrissom said:

A good place to start for TIPI is:  Home · jedimatt42/tipi Wiki · GitHub

TiPI/32:  Home · jgparker/tipi Wiki · GitHub

I have one as well and may be able to help.

Thanks!

Reading through those pages gives me an idea of what I should be doing, but I like things spelled out clearly.

From what I can tell...
- the 10 pin socket goes onto the last header holes on the bottom of the Pi to provide the connection between the TIPI and the Pi.

- the 4 pin header goes onto the first four holes on top of the Pi to provide a place to attach 5v from the TIPI, using the orange wire provided.

- the jumper I received is to disable 32K, if I should choose to do so.

- the LED is an optional power light for the TIPI.

- I can add another header to let the Pi do any JTAG programming on the TIPI that I might need... but I have no idea if/when/how I would be doing that.

... then there is the SD card setup, which I will worry about once the hardware is good to go.

I also just noticed that the TIPI has no mounting holes, so mounting it in a custom case might be tricky!

Edited by Calab

10 minutes ago, Calab said:

Thanks!

Reading through those pages gives me an idea of what I should be doing, but I like things spelled out clearly.

From what I can tell...
- the 10 pin socket goes onto the last header holes on the bottom of the Pi to provide the connection between the TIPI and the Pi.

- the 4 pin header goes onto the first four holes on top of the Pi to provide a place to attach 5v from the TIPI, using the orange wire provided.

- the jumper I received is to disable 32K, if I should choose to do so.

- the LED is an optional power light for the TIPI.

- I can add another header to let the Pi do any JTAG programming on the TIPI that I might need... but I have no idea if/when/how I would be doing that.

... then there is the SD card setup, which I will worry about once the hardware is good to go.

I also just noticed that the TIPI has no mounting holes, so mounting it in a custom case might be tricky!

TIPI Case from Beige TIPI / Synth Case:  Speech syn for beige TI-99/4a - Page 11 - TI-99/4A Computers - AtariAge Forums

Follow that thread for the STL files.  I printed one and make certain you get the latest thread with attachments as you may have to sand a lot off the finished print.  Don't worry it won't rattle around inside the case.

It should be pre-programed as purchased.  Solder the 10pin header coming out of the bottom of the Pi. 

Search Atariage carefully.  Lot's of good post on assembly.  

Jedimatt42's Github has links to the SD Card image with full instructions on installation.  Pretty easy to do.  I use the small card I can buy 8-16GB (easier to back up and reflash "your" new image).

The links to the instructions are all in the store description. Reading is important when ordering open source electronics. It's all in wiki format

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk