IGNORED

Buying A Nintendo Switch Is Proving To Be Difficult In The US Right Now

There's a companion to that story that also is a partial indicator of the problem, BOTs, and one in particular is very popular scooping up the stock from 2 major retailers looking at the massive traffic, trading, and selling its community has grounded over on discord.  Bird Bot.

https://github.com/natewong1313/bird-bot

It actively masks that it is a bot, and is sits on these sites for scalpers with their data already set, and it will just insta-buy as much stock the site allows as possible.  By the time those people are done, good luck with the scraps.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Well I've been patiently awaiting for a restock. My mother requested that if I find her one to snag one for her. The wife said the same thing, so I guess I'm trying to find two of them. 

?

for what it's worth, i've been seeing here and there places being restocked (from Reddit posts)- sounds like you're out $600 Beefy.  ;)  I think I saw a Costco in the Pacific NW that had a whole pallet of the darn things.

i'm looking (but not very hard) for a V2 Switch to replace Mrs. Digdug's, if anything for the better battery since she doesn't dock that often.  Lite won't do the trick, though, because she does dock every once in a great while, the screen is smaller, and the joycons don't detach.

3 hours ago, digdugnate said:

for what it's worth, i've been seeing here and there places being restocked (from Reddit posts)- sounds like you're out $600 Beefy.  ;)  I think I saw a Costco in the Pacific NW that had a whole pallet of the darn things.

i'm looking (but not very hard) for a V2 Switch to replace Mrs. Digdug's, if anything for the better battery since she doesn't dock that often.  Lite won't do the trick, though, because she does dock every once in a great while, the screen is smaller, and the joycons don't detach.

I did some store searching and nothing around here for 100 miles. They need to start shipping them East!

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Reps said that last year too and a few dared to speculate it this year too because of the new hardware coming.  I'll wait until Nintendo has a personal security breach instead of a so-called trusted partner, or makes a press release.  These stories float so often they're hard to even care about anymore.

Even if it were real it's likely just a PRO version because the Switch is selling so well and consistently so they have no motivation at all to dump it.  IF third parties start backing off releases as it's too hard to make custom engine conversions after the next consoles are out, maybe then, but not until they start feeling the bite.  And that Pro version given how the Switch was already internally 100% modular with every part capable of being popped off the main board with upgrades, I see them sticking to their format.  You'll get a juicy bump on the CPU/GPU chipset from the TegraX1 to its successor, probably 2-4x the total system memory to use, boosted wifi/bluetooth the current standard, stuff like that.  It (like a PS4 pro vs original) would run all the old stuff, and the new, probably like GBC get a mix of stuff that works on both to not screw existing owners, and stuff that only runs on the Pro.  That would be the wisest choice as they'd keep to the curve, but not offend others into bailing.

12 hours ago, Video said:

If they make a "pro" version, I hope they mostly keep the single piece from factor of the lite, just add a tv out functionality.

I would hope they'd keep the two choices too for dock and for handheld alone.  It would be a smart choice to have the $100 (or whatever then) price difference for differing market interests.  We have the lite here now as my kid has hers and I have to say I prefer the stronger build of the frame.  The defective thin plastic design of the original model sucks as too much heat seems to start to brittle and crack the system on the plastic fins over the heat vent on top, mine all cracked and they're off now so it's just a big oval as I didn't like the mess.  I also noticed heat caused a start of a stress crack on the bottom right off the USB-C jacks plastic hole too.  I want to be mad at Nintendo, and I kind of am as they're not known for shitty design choices, but what's more annoying is the fact it was a known because the same cheap plastic thin design and brittle cracking stress points are also on the Nvidia Shield Tablet too that I own.  It's like those 2 clowns would have come together taking the shield and making it into the switch and fix a know plastic heat cracking issue...but no, it's there.  The lite is far thicker, and the vent holes are fatter and rounded too so they're far more tougher as is the plastic around the rest of the body as well including the charge port.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

I went to target today they had one switch left.  I did not buy.  A lady and her kid were asking.  He said sold out but then another guy said one left.  She said its been sold out everywhere.  I told her its because of covid.  She was surprised.  So its still hard to find looks like.

I bought one about 2 weeks ago from a warehouse club,  paid normal price.  I thought they were back in stock

My wife loves Animal Crossing and she got bored with City Folk so got the physical cart for New Horizons 1st and when Amazon had it back at reg price I got it  (Ordered Oct 30 delivered Nov 11)  now the scalpers are back $500 plus Glad I jumped in on that narrow window Now it says in stock Jan 18th at the $ 299 price

I'm trying hard and going blank on finding christmas gifts, but walked by the game space at a store earlier and they had multiple classic Switch consoles locked up, the three of the lite colors, and a pile of the SMB G&W all in the same rack.  I don't as often see the full size unit, but lites it's rare I see a store totally out.