IGNORED

UAV for the 7800

willis

Just a little question regarding the UAV. Is this the most robust and best way to mod the 7800 with the best results?
I've seen plenty of pics with the mod done and the picture looks great. Just wondering if everyone had a different preference or if the UAV is the way to go.

8 hours ago, willis said:

Just a little question regarding the UAV. Is this the most robust and best way to mod the 7800 with the best results?
I've seen plenty of pics with the mod done and the picture looks great. Just wondering if everyone had a different preference or if the UAV is the way to go.

The UAV is currently the best AV mod setup available for the 7800. Pair it up with a retrotink2x using the s-video and you might not ever need or want anything better visually. Or at least that is what I've been told by most with that setup. 

4 hours ago, willis said:

Thanks Crossbow!

Sure no problem! Also you want the basic version of the UAV for 7800 installs. You can use the kit but the only part you would use would be the green terminal block since the 7800 installation doesn't use the jumpers or sockets on it.

8 hours ago, willis said:

This may be just a complete simple question, also for my total lack on the subject, but what gauge of wire and what type of solder do most people use for mods? I don't want to do a shoddy job, so any good recommendations?

Most of these mods are setup for 22 gauge and don't skimp - you want solid core wire (pre tinned is nice too).

19 hours ago, willis said:

This may be just a complete simple question, also for my total lack on the subject, but what gauge of wire and what type of solder do most people use for mods? I don't want to do a shoddy job, so any good recommendations?

Very much whatever you’re comfortable using. 

11 hours ago, Elysiom said:

Most of these mods are setup for 22 gauge and don't skimp - you want solid core wire (pre tinned is nice too).

Eh, not my experience at all.

I’ve put UAV’s in my personal 4-switch 2600, 5200, 7800 and (at last count) 4 different A8 computers. I’ve used everything from solid-core 24 gauge (which is stiff and a real pain unless you’re cutting almost perfectly to length) to 28 gauge silicone insulated stranded. Absolutely no difference in video quality and the stranded core is a lot easier to work with, to route inside the system and to bundle up out of the way when you’re done.

8 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Very much whatever you’re comfortable using. 

Eh, not my experience at all.

I’ve put UAV’s in my personal 4-switch 2600, 5200, 7800 and (at last count) 4 different A8 computers. I’ve used everything from solid-core 24 gauge (which is stiff and a real pain unless you’re cutting almost perfectly to length) to 28 gauge silicone insulated stranded. Absolutely no difference in video quality and the stranded core is a lot easier to work with, to route inside the system and to bundle up out of the way when you’re done.

I'm not a huge fan of stranded core just due to how fragile it can be but I think you are right, 22 might be a little large now that I think about it - somewhere around 24 seems perfect.

Yep. Without a doubt the best available 7800 video mod. I've tried all of them. None come close to the quality of the UAV. 

I too prefer solid core wire. Stranded core has a tendency to fray, and cause one nearly invisible strand to go traveling and slightly short a nearby connection, causing all kinds of static, color bleed, etc. 

To be fair on this, I actually did two UAV installs into 7800s this past weekend for AA members and used 28g stranded. I also have 30g solid core and have used that as well. Zero difference in quality of the output, but at least with the stranded I don't have to keep going back and reattaching it or replacing it due to the thin solid core breaking on me. It was quicker to go this route although I couldn't shape the wire where I wanted it to go as much as I can with the solid core or course. But in most applications here is what I due and this is espeicially true on the 7800:

I will usually use solid or stranded core of about 28g from the attachment points on the mainboard to the UAV board itself. But I always use stranded from the outputs to the AV jacks. But I also install connectors/disconnects to make future servicing easier if needed. Since those output wires will be getting moved around possibly and not be as static, they have to be stranded to prevent them from breaking.

• Like 1