IGNORED

Request for help with Colecovision issues

WispFollower

Hello, I was hoping to get some feedback on an issue I'm having with my Colecovision. It's having trouble with the player one controller port. It seems to have started with control stick issues and graduated to rapid firing up on the control stick and the fire buttons constantly. The player two side seems to work fine. I will also say I think the power supply has always been a bit weak on this console as I have had to jostle the power cable where it ports in to get it just right for all the colors to come in nice and bright (sometimes gotta settle for good enough and the reds and purples get tough to see). It may be worth noting when I checked the composite outs after getting the rgb mod, the video seemed fine.. but after getting the rgb mod, i preferred it due to clarity even with the color issues.

This console was modded by Yurkie years ago and has seen a lot of hours of gameplay. The mods include rgb, pause switch, composite, bios skip. Anyone ever experience an issue like this? Are there parts available to fix the controller port, power supply, and go from there?

Thank you for any help with saving my Colecovision. I can't live without it!

One note regarding the power connection...the console connection has male pins, and the power supply's cord connector has the mating female sockets, in the molded plastic end.  I have seen the female sockets on the power supply's connector "open up," over years of connecting/disconnecting, causing issues with getting a good connection.  If that's the case you're having, the 2 solutions are to either replace the power supply (hopefully it's not suffering from "opened up sockets), or "fatten" the male pins on the console's connector.  To "fatten" the pins, you can add solder to them, but doing this would mean that if you were to get a new power supply at a later date (without worn sockets), you would need to remove this extra solder thickness, or replace the console's connector if necessary in the future.  I did this once years ago for a console I was working on for someone...and it totally worked.  

• Like 1

To add to @digress 's suggestion (which is likely spot on btw), you might also look at getting the ESD protection boards for that CV too. The ICs get messed up because they are very easily zapped by ESD just from plugging the controllers into the system and it is a very common problem on the CV especially. Those ESD boards route any stray voltage that could cause issues, safely to ground. Again, they aren't required, but an excellent preventive measure for the future.

• Like 3