I'm setting up my Magnavox Odyssey (the original from 1972), and I have a few questions about TV's, given the overlays that are required for the Odyssey games.

I have a 40" LED Vizio and the Odyssey works on it and gives a pretty decent image, however given the size of the screen the the bezel is too far for me to safely tape the overlays onto it. The other option for getting the overlays to stay on the TV during game play would be to tape it onto the TV screen itself, would there be any potential harm to the TV in doing that? Or is there some type of tape or adhesive which would be safe for using on the TV screen itself?

Another thought I had is that I could get a smaller cheap flat screen TV, I used to have a 26 inch in which the overlays fit very nicely actually, I could possibly get a new TV in the 20-something inch range that would be just for the Odyssey (and since it would be a back up if there were any damage to the screen it wouldn't be too bad).

Or would the ideal set up be a traditional CRT TV?

Thank you for your thoughts and comments, and I hope everyone is doing well.

Personally I use about a 20" CRT TV for my Odyssey and it works great for my Odyssey, I also use a sony Trinitron which works good too. 

LED TV screens are usually made of polymers. In addition to having to push on the screen itself and use your nail to pull the adhesive (unlee you fold it to make a llittle "latch" to pull it back) I wouldn't be so sure about the potential reaction between the adhesive's adhesive and the polymers of the screen.

What you could do is to use a bit of thread, like sewing thread that you tie tothe overlays with adhesives, then you fix the thread ends to your TV's bezel. Won't be pretty nor durable, but you don't play the Odyssey for hours either, I think.