IGNORED

Cannon Fodder soldier name glitch?

EddieHitler

Hi all, 

Just played Jag Cannon Fodder for the first time (though the game is an old favourite of mine, right from the Amiga 1200 days) all-in-all it’s a great version of the game, it’s got the song which I believe is the only console version to do this, the Jag controller feels pretty good for playing the game (not quite mouse territory but still pretty good)  and it’s got a proper save feature, rather than just a password system which doesn’t save anything like ranks of the soldiers you have achieved - generally war has never been so much fun! 

One thing I’ve noticed, for those unfamiliar with the game (it was developed my a British team and is generally more popular this side of the pond) you take 2-5 recruits into a mission all with their own names, when they die they are replaced by a near inexhaustible supply of fresh meat - all with their own names.

The first 2 recruits you get are called “Jools” and “Jops” named after the devs. I’ve noticed in the Jag version, when you loose your first 4 or 5 men, every new recruit thereafter is called Jools, if you kill off enough soldiers you will get an army of just Jools. Is this a known bug with this version of the game? 

Edited by EddieHitler

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 10:20 PM, jeremiahjt said:

I thought the names just started over every time you started the game back up, but I beat the game with only losing one soldier so I never had to worry about it too much.

Seriously, only lost one soldier!?!?!  This game is rock hard.  I've never beaten it in 20-odd years.  That's impressive.

I've never played the original Amiga version so I can't help with the OP's question.  I just assumed the names cycled but never noticed Jools kept popping up.  That said, the Jag version is full of bugs like the useful recover lost missiles and grenades from dead troops one. 

It's still one of may favourite Jag titles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doctor_shred said:

Seriously, only lost one soldier!?!?!  This game is rock hard.  I've never beaten it in 20-odd years.  That's impressive.

I've never played the original Amiga version so I can't help with the OP's question.  I just assumed the names cycled but never noticed Jools kept popping up.  That said, the Jag version is full of bugs like the useful recover lost missiles and grenades from dead troops one. 

It's still one of may favourite Jag titles.

It's a solid port too, it seems to have more sounds(than pc but not amiga tho) and the intro music sounds amazing. Considering the purchase of a ps2 mouse and a converter for mine, would it work?

Edited by DoTheMath

Yeah the game has more sound FX’s than the Amiga version - I’m pretty sure one of the enemy soldiers death cries is lifted right from Doom, when Doomguy is killed.

its a great port, only problem is the Jag controler isn’t perfect for it, it feels a little clunky sometimes. I have beaten it on the Amiga many years ago when I had a lot more time and patience, but it took a lot of time plugging away at the same save file.

• Like 1