IGNORED

What should be my second 2nd Gen console?

I'm not saying colecovision is a bad choice.  It is promoted as the arcade at home machine but I hate for people not familiar with the arcade machines to think that Donkey Kong is colecovision donkey kong or asteroids is atari 2600 asteroids.  Colecovision was the leading game system in 1983, attracted third party publishers, and has quite a few designed for home video games.  Many of those can also be found on the Commodore 64 which took over as the worlds top selling video game system in 1984.  The commodore 64 also has built-in composite and s-video output.

Edited by mr_me

Colecovision is kinda "between two seats" when it come to generations. The OP asked for a second console after the Atari 2600. Intellivision and Videopac have the same "flavor". The Colecovision is kind of the "middle gen" (kind of how the PC-Engine is the "cross between the 8 bits and the 16 bits generation".

Also, the Colecovision is flaky (albeit fixable with standard parts) and prices are all over the place - at least in Europe; I haven't seen a single loose Colecovision game sold for under40€ lately, and acquiring a loose Colecovision system for under 80€ is a pipe dream.

Those are two reasons to recommande a Videopac or an Intellivision over the Colecovision (or over the Astrocade and Channel F) both are machines that have that distinct 2nd gen flair, and remain affordable and straightforward to use.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Somebody tell wikipedia then because they have the CV listed as 2nd generation and it's not listed in their 3rd generation entry.  The Intellivision, Atari 2600 and CV are ALWAYS mentioned in the same breath as being the main consoles of that generation.  I have never heard anything different and suddenly you're telling me that everything I've read and heard prior to this thread is wrong?  More like you're wrong.

Who cares about Wikipedia?  I'd trust the AtariAge community on this topic before whoever contributed to Wikipedia.  And I'm sure someone on this board has already had this conversation with you (it comes up kind of a lot), so I don't believe that EVERYTHING you've read prior to this has said they are the same gen.

If you lived through it then you remember the Coleco as a distinctly different thing just like the Sega Genesis was different than the NES.  CV came out 6 years later and offered a different experience.  If we continue that example, you could still buy a NES (or SMS) when the Genesis was offered, but you knew you were getting something more advanced with Genesis just like you knew you were getting something more advanced with the Colecovision.

On top of that, if someone is wanting to experience the NEXT system after the Atari 2600, regardless of generational labels, I would still say you should experience the Odyssey2/Videopac or the Intellivision before anything that comes after.  You are skipping too much gaming history (and good games) otherwise.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 9:48 PM, CatPix said:

What are the games?

I hope one of them is KC Munchkin. I think, with his random maze generator and that "chase the dot" mechanism, that it's one of the most inspired Pac-Man clones. Two small changes that make it so much more fun than most Pac-Man clones or variants. Even if the random generator can result in unfairly hard mazes or pretty easy ones... each maze is a new challenge.

KC Crazy Chase is fun, but mostly if you get The Voice! else... it's a bit meh, due to the maze layout never changing.

I have K.C. Munchkin!, Pick Axe Pete!, K.C;s Krazy Chase!, Killer Bees, UFO!, Sub Chase!/Armored Encounter!, and the Compute Info! carts. Sorry for not responding earlier, I don't check up on here that often.

2 hours ago, shanesawkool said:

I have K.C. Munchkin!, Pick Axe Pete!, K.C;s Krazy Chase!, Killer Bees, UFO!, Sub Chase!/Armored Encounter!, and the Compute Info! carts. Sorry for not responding earlier, I don't check up on here that often.

Some nice starter games there! Samurai/dynasty and 4 in a row have some impressive difficulty levels for those games if you like that kind of thing (the first game is reversi/Othello), but backgammon is expensive. The later titles like super bee, turtles and nightmare can be found cheaper (I bought nightmare for about £2) and similar kind of gameplay to the games you have now. Most of the earlier stuff is almost like demos, so get them as cheap as you can if you are intending to collect. 

Ps: sorry it was me who mentioned colecovision it's all my fault! 

On 7/2/2020 at 1:56 PM, wongojack said:

Who cares about Wikipedia?  I'd trust the AtariAge community on this topic before whoever contributed to Wikipedia.  And I'm sure someone on this board has already had this conversation with you (it comes up kind of a lot), so I don't believe that EVERYTHING you've read prior to this has said they are the same gen.

If you lived through it then you remember the Coleco as a distinctly different thing just like the Sega Genesis was different than the NES.  CV came out 6 years later and offered a different experience.  If we continue that example, you could still buy a NES (or SMS) when the Genesis was offered, but you knew you were getting something more advanced with Genesis just like you knew you were getting something more advanced with the Colecovision.

On top of that, if someone is wanting to experience the NEXT system after the Atari 2600, regardless of generational labels, I would still say you should experience the Odyssey2/Videopac or the Intellivision before anything that comes after.  You are skipping too much gaming history (and good games) otherwise.

Not just Wikipedia.  Many other sources too after googling "second generation video game consoles".  But as the sensible CatPix mentions, it's kind of a half way between generations machine.  Let's all not get so hot under the collar about something so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.  The only motivation for my first comment in this thread was to make a friendly suggestion and then I just felt I was being berated for it.