IGNORED

Maniac Mansion and POP don't work on my //e - RAM card questions

Sir Guntz

I have an issue with two games on my //e, Maniac Mansion and Prince of Persia. They flat out don't work, no matter that disk images I try. I've ruled out bad disks by copying known good games to those same disks and they work fine.

I've heard that Maniac and POP require 128K RAM to run, I don't know if I have that. I have a //e with a 65c02 marker on the keyboard, I don't know what exact model of //e it is. Inside it has just a 64K RAM card in the AUX slot, maybe a double hi-res card. Do I need to get a 128K card for one of the expansion slots? I've also had some conflicting information that the //e has 64K on-board and using a 64K AUX card should work, but these games don't work. I think I should just get a 128K RAM card and be done with this.

You're right, both games requires 128 Ko in order to use double hires.

According to your description, you already have the needed 128 Ko : 64 Ko on the motherboard and 64 Ko on the card in the AUX slot. The double hires also required a jumper to be put on the expansion card in the AUX slot. And finally, the motherboard have to be a Revision B (early motherboard doesn't support double hires). But if you have an Enhanced //e (65c02 marker on the keyboard and "Apple //e" printed on top of the screen at boot time), you're good.

Apple-brand auxillary cards come in three varieties. 

First there is the 80-column card :

s-l1600.jpg

It only has 1KiB of RAM, enough for 80 column text but nothing else.  

Second is the early Enhanced 80 Column/64K Card

s-l1600.jpg

It comes with 64KiB of memory, which is required for Double High Resolution Graphics.  Double High Resolution Graphics needs the leads at J1 connected for it to work.  The jumper is there for owners of early Apple IIe motherboards which did not have the capability to use  Double High Resolution Graphics regardless of the memory expansion in the auxillary slot.

Finally came the "late" or "compact" Enhanced 80 Column/64K Card s-l1600.jpg

This card came pre-installed in Apple IIe Platinum machines.  It has the jumper permanently installed.