IGNORED

New addition to the family: 600XL with supervideo mod and 64kb of ram? B/W...

leech

Just got another machine today, wanted to see how good the SuperVideo 2.1 mod looked, and hooked it up to the 1084S.  Now of course I ran into an issue where it is black and white.  The ebay listing showed it had full color, but I'm not having any luck getting that to work.  Is this due to it being a PAL machine? 

I also learned PAL machines for the 600XL came with a monitor port, I thought they all had just the RF out, so yay.  But weirdly my NTSC 600XL has a black serial label (never seen this on any of my other 8bits), and had a previous mod where someone wired up the cartridge port frame, that leads to a connection between the second joystick port and the SIO port... At least this machine has everything socketed. 

So the questions I have;

1) What do I need to get the PAL SV2.1 mod to work on say a 1084S-D1 (NTSC) in color?  Or maybe I can do that through SCART on an OSSC (will try that shortly).

2) Anyone seen any sort of grounding type connection like this for any of the 8bits, or a 600XL in particular?

Thanks!

20200327_162418.jpg

20200327_162438.jpg

20200327_163718.jpg

Edited by leech
added images

8 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

The grounding strap is normal for some units.  Some just have a metal spring arm touching the shield, others have one or two wires.

Interesting, this looks... like a really terrible solder job, that's why I was wondering what it could be, figured I was hoping Atari would have done a better job :P

Ha, I have been wondering why I have some solder on the PBI of my original 800XL, I can't remember if it was me or my older brother who tried to do something to it, but it would have been like 30 years ago!  Keep thinking I should actually clean those up so the PBI looks normal again.

The 600XL is pretty sweet when you need one with a very small footprint!

Could you post more detailed picture(s) of video area? Right now I have another PAL 600XL on the desk and I am trying to make video better. See in neighbouring thread (how many mods..) I would like to know what needs to be altered in a PAL machine with monitor out.

Edited by archeocomp

3 hours ago, archeocomp said:

Could you post more detailed picture(s) of video area? Right now I have another PAL 600XL on the desk and I am trying to make video better. See in neighbouring thread (how many mods..) I would like to know what needs to be altered in a PAL machine with monitor out.

2020-03-28 11.04.11.jpg

Not sure if you can see in the other picture, but the motherboard for the NTSC machine actually has all the correct holes for dropping in the DIN5, right where they put in the channel switch.  But that section near the port I just took a picture of is empty on the other machine, so I am guessing that is where the mod was done, as I see a few places where it looks like components were removed.