IGNORED

XL keyboard technical drawings

ivop

12 hours ago, flemingt said:

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth. I knew work was going to get busy so I was eager to solder the switches. 

I just spent some time this morning testing out the keyboard pcb, and it works!

The connection is a bit ghetto at the moment but I'm happy. 

Next step is to do about more CAD for the space bar stabilizer. Move some of the holes relative to the metal backplane a fraction (though I may not use them for mounting).

I think I'll try recommission my FDM printer and make some of the adaptors so I can get a feel for the keycap height relative to the chassis.

Last thing to do, when it's all buttoned up will be to desolder the keyboard ribbon connector and put some headers in its place.

IMG_20220318_101930.jpg

Hey @flemingt!

Welcome back! This looks really good!

21 hours ago, mytek said:

My mom's name was also Helena. She was from what used to be called Czechoslovakia, was deported to Germany following WWII, and met my dad when he was stationed there with the Air Force. She passed away in 1994.

My grandma Helena also has an Eastern European heritage (and hence have I). Her grandfather was born in what is now called Wrocław in Poland. He went westward. Married a girl in Wiesbaden, Germany, and then went to Amsterdam. A son was born in 1881. He married a Dutch girl, and "begot" a daughter that was Helena :)

21 hours ago, mytek said:

Keyboard project is looking really nice ?

Absolutely! :) ?

• Like 1

Hi @flemingt,

It looks pretty good! It was the same with me when I printed the stems. It was even more loose when I used a 0.2 mm nozzle on my printer. I also had stringing too and just cleaned it up a bit. I wonder how the tolerances will be if someone prints these in a resin based printer?

This is really good stuff! Looking forward to seeing the keycaps on the keyboard! Getting closer!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is 3D printed. There's definitely flex, but I know how to resolve that. The most important thing I've been working on is alignment with the existing case holes, getting the angles right, and some clearancing. I'll figure out heights etc once the concept is finalised.

IMG_20220330_200157.jpg

Edited by flemingt
Added picture

1 hour ago, flemingt said:

I thought I'd give a small update. I've been prototyping a method of attaching the keyboard to the case. It's a bit rough and ready at the moment...

It looks good! One question: would one be able to install the new keyboard with the shielding still in place?

2 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

It looks good! One question: would one be able to install the new keyboard with the shielding still in place?

Just to put it out there... the metal shielding is only needed if you are going to use the RF output. If you plan on going composite or S-Video it's actually better to leave the shield off for better heat dissipation from Sally, Antic, and GTIA all of which get pretty warm.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mytek said:

Just to put it out there... the metal shielding is only needed if you are going to use the RF output. If you plan on going composite or S-Video it's actually better to leave the shield off for better heat dissipation from Sally, Antic, and GTIA all of which get pretty warm.

Hi @mytek

Thanks for that info! I have a desire to keep some of my computers as close to stock as possible and I want to see if I can use this a drop in replacement (on ones that I have modded, I have removed the shielding). I believe that on some variants of the 600XL/800XL keyboards with a metal plate, the shielding also acts as ground.

Unfortunately so as to not have the keys proud of the case my guess is that the RF shield will have to be removed.

I've pretty much got the X Y positioning of the keys correct, there is some work to do on Z, but it's pretty close.

I've also redesigned my U1MB bracket to try cheat some space, but it looks like I'll have to relocate the battery holder.

Ignore the wiring on the underside of the keyboard, I need to redo later.

IMG_20220403_162105.jpg

16489995545064022999973339092925.jpg

16489995788797439502615022199285.jpg

• Like 5

Looks pretty good!  I have a couple of questions:

1. How are the heights of the keycaps in relation to the case compared with the original?

2. Are the keycaps secure enough this way? 3. Will you be going forward with printed switch adapters instead of printed stems going forward? Printing adapters would probably be easier since one does not need to modify the key switches and would be easier to print. Also, would be easier to make adapters for the other keyboard variants as well instead of creating a stem for each type.

Heights are pretty much per original kb.

I printed the adaptors in standard PLA and the keys don't budge, the fit is good.

I think the stems, whilst a good idea are a bit of a dead end with the printer I'm using. I wanted to make a bit more progress so these will suffice rather than going resin.

Other adaptor types should be pretty easy to knock up with a few iterations.

IMG_20220409_185555.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/9/2022 at 1:59 PM, flemingt said:

Heights are pretty much per original kb.

I printed the adaptors in standard PLA and the keys don't budge, the fit is good.

I think the stems, whilst a good idea are a bit of a dead end with the printer I'm using. I wanted to make a bit more progress so these will suffice rather than going resin.

Other adaptor types should be pretty easy to knock up with a few iterations.

IMG_20220409_185555.jpg

This is great! As time goes on, it is harder and harder to get keyboards (or parts to repair the keyboard). For example, I have one set of of this style of keyboard that I could not use because it is missing the springs for some of the keys. Not only that, one can customize the feel of the keyboard by using different types of cherry style switches. Not bad for a nearly 40 year old computer!

Thanks. I'm quite happy with progress so far.

I've updated my github with the latest revisions of everything.

I need to work on the spacebar stabilizer holders next, the feel of the keypress isn't very satisfying.

I am having second thoughts on how wire it up to the mainboard, I might design a small thin daughterboard to go into the standard mylar connector. It'll have to be very low profile to fit.

I am not sure if you have seen it, but there is a thread of a similar project here on Atariage that was done for the 130XE that had some designs for a daughter card for the keyboard connector. I had built the keyboard for that project and for me, the connector was the stumbling block (too big to fit for one the versions of the connector). Maybe this can give some insights for your project. Here is the link.

I'd seen the project, buti think I'll try design something just to get more familiar with kicad. 

Board mount space-bar stabilizer clips are finished since yesterday evening, so it looks like this interface PCB is the last big piece.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I think I'm done. Theres good clearance between the bracket and interface board. I wound up just soldering to the interface board itself as the Dupont connectors were dodgy. I just need to stick down the relocated U1MB battery, or mod one of the 3D printed brackets to accept it.

All buttoned up now and works great. I'll update the files on the github over the coming days.

IMG_20220520_155156.jpg

IMG_20220521_172009.jpg

IMG_20220521_172212.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, flemingt said:

Well, I think I'm done. Theres good clearance between the bracket and interface board. I wound up just soldering to the interface board itself as the Dupont connectors were dodgy. I just need to stick down the relocated U1MB battery, or mod one of the 3D printed brackets to accept it.

All buttoned up now and works great. I'll update the files on the github over the coming days.

This looks great! I really like that PCB connector also solves a problem of finding a connector that interfaces with the stock motherboards. I am really looking forward of doing this project! I want to take a moment thank @ivop and yourself for all the hard work and effort into working on this project!

• Thanks 1