IGNORED

Commodore Vic-20 Problem - Help Please?!

The VIC-20 has two identical 6522 chips that serve different purposes: https://vic-20.appspot.com/docs/viausage.txt

Often but not always those chips are socketed so easy to replace one if it is bad. In theory you can swap the chips, which would cause other things to stop working, in this case I would think tape would stop working.

Of course the question is how those timers are loaded, if it is due to other components or perhaps a corrupted ROM. Would the computer start up normally without a game cartridge, but with a very fast cursor?

On 3/30/2020 at 5:55 PM, carlsson said:

The VIC-20 has two identical 6522 chips that serve different purposes: https://vic-20.appspot.com/docs/viausage.txt

Often but not always those chips are socketed so easy to replace one if it is bad. In theory you can swap the chips, which would cause other things to stop working, in this case I would think tape would stop working.

Of course the question is how those timers are loaded, if it is due to other components or perhaps a corrupted ROM. Would the computer start up normally without a game cartridge, but with a very fast cursor?

Ill boot it up again when I get it back and check. Thank you. I’ll update then

• 2 weeks later...

Motorola ZC86068P? I understand that the Motorola MC6820/6821 may be similar to a 6520 PIA, but out of the search results I can find online, I don't see any that mentions a Motorola chip that is equivalent to the MOS/Rockwell/Synertek 6522 chips. (*)

The leftmost chip is UAB1 (Keyboard-Serial), also known as VIA #2 which I believe is the chip to exchange. The one right to it (yours named ZC86068P) goes into UAB3 (Serial-Joy-User-Cass), also known as VIA #1.

How does the computer behave when you boot it without a cartridge? Does it behave as expected, but the cursor blinks very fast? Does the keyboard read correctly? Did you have a chance trying to load something from a disk drive? From tape?

(*) As a side note, it recently was posted by a Commodore alumni on Facebook that pretty much all second sourced chips - at least in the beginning - were manufactured by MOS but sent to Rockwell and Synertek to put their logotypes on them to satisfy the requirement of second sourcing CPUs and support chips. Possibly they went on to actually manufacture their chips a bit later on.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 10:28 PM, carlsson said:

Motorola ZC86068P? I understand that the Motorola MC6820/6821 may be similar to a 6520 PIA, but out of the search results I can find online, I don't see any that mentions a Motorola chip that is equivalent to the MOS/Rockwell/Synertek 6522 chips. (*)

The leftmost chip is UAB1 (Keyboard-Serial), also known as VIA #2 which I believe is the chip to exchange. The one right to it (yours named ZC86068P) goes into UAB3 (Serial-Joy-User-Cass), also known as VIA #1.

How does the computer behave when you boot it without a cartridge? Does it behave as expected, but the cursor blinks very fast? Does the keyboard read correctly? Did you have a chance trying to load something from a disk drive? From tape?

(*) As a side note, it recently was posted by a Commodore alumni on Facebook that pretty much all second sourced chips - at least in the beginning - were manufactured by MOS but sent to Rockwell and Synertek to put their logotypes on them to satisfy the requirement of second sourcing CPUs and support chips. Possibly they went on to actually manufacture their chips a bit later on.

Thank you. I now have a replacement chip so can see what is going on. 

I will boot it up as is and see if the cursor is blinking too fast. Will then try and replace the chip and see if it continues.

Thanks for your help... Will let you know

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You may run a few benchmarks. Here are some inspired by the Rugg-Feldman ones from 1977.

10 PRINT"START":TI$="000000"
20 FOR K=1 TO 1000
30 NEXT K
40 PRINT TI/60:PRINT"END"

It should report 1.11 on PAL (1.2 on NTSC).

Add one row:

25 A=K/2*3+4-5

On PAL it should run for 9.8 seconds (NTSC 10.61 seconds).

You could compare this with a stopwatch to verify that both the computer runs at expected speed, and that the TI timer (which comes from the VIA chip) runs as it should.

Also I didn't catch if you ever responded to how the computer behaved at BASIC prompt before you replaced the chip, if the cursor blinked even faster or if it otherwise acted up. I take it you have no secondary storage peripherals like tape recorder, floppy drive etc to try and load software from.

Edited by carlsson