IGNORED

TNFS and NAS?

Mathy

Hello guys

Would it be possible to install something that supports TNFS on a NAS?  I'd like to use my Synology NAS if and when I ever get a FujiNet adaptor.

No, I'm not gonna buy a Raspberry Pi or whatever just so that I can run FujiNet.  It's either my NAS or nothing at all!  Please restrain from trying to convince me otherwise.

Sincerely

Mathy

1 hour ago, Mathy said:

Would it be possible to install something that supports TNFS on a NAS?  I'd like to use my Synology NAS if and when I ever get a FujiNet adaptor.

A Synology NAS is based on Linux, so it should be easy enough to create a package that can be installed on your NAS. There is already a community that provides a lot of packages: https://synocommunity.com/packages, maybe someone there is willing to build and maintain the tnfs package?

• Like 4

Hi Mathy!

tnfsd has very few dependencies, and you can grab the source, here:

https://github.com/spectrumero/spectranet/tree/master/tnfs/tnfsd

and it builds using make OS=LINUX

There are no real dependencies other than the standard POSIX libraries.

once built, you have a tnfsd that you can copy into a /usr/local/sbin somewhere and run it.

tnfsd /directory

Injecting it as a system service is an exercise for the reader.

-Thom

• Like 1

Hello Thom

Could you please translate that into simple English?  Especially the lower half of what you wrote.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS looks like I need windows to compile this.  The only windows I use are the ones that let the sunlight in...

Edited by Mathy
Add the "PS"

Hey Matty

Which NAS do you have and what CPU does it run? I *may* be able to build a package for you. I did this a long time ago for something else. Synology provide a quite nice build and packaging environment for any 64 bit Linux which you can use. I can try and build it for my NAS but I don't have much to test it with.

Hey spooks

59 minutes ago, spookt said:

Hey Matty

Which NAS do you have and what CPU does it run?

DS412+ 

• CPU: Intel Atom Dual Core 2.13 GHz, with floating point

• RAM Size: DDR3 1 GB

Thanks!

Sincerely

Mathy

PS a memory upgrade to 4 GB is planned/ordered.

Edited by Mathy
Moved some stuff around

8 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hey spooks

DS412+ 

Thanks!

Sincerely

Mathy

Ok, so basically take the linux binary from here, and put it in /usr/local/sbin and see if you can run it:

http://spectrum.alioth.net/downloads/tnfs-linux-x86.tar.gz

Hello Thom

I got to the point where I can read the README.TXT (Maybe somebody could update that one too.  It speaks of the ZX only), but have no clue where to place "tnfsd" and how to get it there.  Maybe somebody can make this look like it came from Synology's Package Center?

Sincerely

Mathy

2 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello Thom

I got to the point where I can read the README.TXT (Maybe somebody could update that one too.  It speaks of the ZX only), but have no clue where to place "tnfsd" and how to get it there.  Maybe somebody can make this look like it came from Synology's Package Center?

Sincerely

Mathy

Yup, if I can get more off my plate, I will try to get the development tools that can make packages. They make you jump through hoops to get the development kit.

-Thom

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tschak909 said:

Yup, if I can get more off my plate, I will try to get the development tools that can make packages. They make you jump through hoops to get the development kit.

-Thom

Here is the DSM 6.0 developer guide:

https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/Software/DeveloperGuide/Firmware/DSM/6.0/enu/DSM_Developer_Guide_6_0.pdf

It walks through the process of setting up a dev environment on any 64bit Linux platform and how to build and package software for the different Synology architectures.

Edited by spookt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spookt said:

Here is the DSM 6.0 developer guide:

https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/Software/DeveloperGuide/Firmware/DSM/6.0/enu/DSM_Developer_Guide_6_0.pdf

It walks through the process of setting up a dev environment on any 64bit Linux platform and how to build and package software for the different Synology architectures.

Have you tried setting up the current build environment?  How difficult is it to set up?  I imagine once you actually have the build environment set up, then it wouldn't be relatively easy to build TNFSD from sources here:

http://spectrum.alioth.net/svn/

That's assuming the Linux binary that Thom linked to above doesn't work?   Is there enough guidance in the docs to suggest how/where to get that binary placed in the Synology filesystem?  Or how to take that binary and create a user-friendly Synology package out of it?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jamm said:

Have you tried setting up the current build environment?  How difficult is it to set up?  I imagine once you actually have the build environment set up, then it wouldn't be relatively easy to build TNFSD from sources here:

http://spectrum.alioth.net/svn/

That's assuming the Linux binary that Thom linked to above doesn't work?   Is there enough guidance in the docs to suggest how/where to get that binary placed in the Synology filesystem?  Or how to take that binary and create a user-friendly Synology package out of it?

I’ve got as far as installing the dev system for the target architecture of my NAS which was very easy following the document I linked., Haven’t got any further yet as real life got in the way!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spookt said:

I’ve got as far as installing the dev system for the target architecture of my NAS which was very easy following the document I linked., Haven’t got any further yet as real life got in the way!

Totally understandable!  Do report back if/when you get further - I'm sure at least Mathy would be very interested in the results.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2020 at 2:57 PM, Mathy said:

Mathy,

What Synology model do you have?  I started looking at the dev kit last night and am going to attempt to get TNFS working on my DS212j this weekend.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2020 at 6:04 PM, Mathy said:

DS412+ 

Thanks!

Sincerely

Mathy

@Brentarian Mathy posted this a little further back in the thread