IGNORED

TNFS and NAS?

Mathy

I took a look at Synology's build tools.  It wouldn't be terribly hard to build TNFSD for it, but their build chain is old and their documentation not great and also obviously out of date, so it would take some work.  Different Synology devices use different CPU architectures, so you'd need to set up a build chain for at least a couple of architectures. (e.g. the DS413 uses Motorola/Freescale while the DS412+ uses Intel, which is why they don't support Docker on both.) 

After all that work you'd have have a TNFSD that would work for some Synology devices but would also be a pain to update/maintain, and it would do nothing for people with QNAP or other NAS devices.

I think the way to go with this is for someone who's decent with Python to take the existing TNFSD C sources and re-write it in Python. It would take a little time, but the result would work on almost every device out there and would be relatively easy to maintain.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I just set up myself a new Synology NAS (920+) and my FujiNet is due to arrive this week, and I would also be very interested to be able to have TNFS to the Synology. Sure I could possibly set up an RPi, but I'd like to be able to use all of the new storage I have, instead of having more hardware, so will be watching for more updates to this....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed tnfsd on my Synology DS216play. As this NAS uses an ARM based processor, i tried the "tnfsd for armhf (Raspberry Pi)" version from fujinet.online, it works!

Step by step:

1. i mounted my home-directory on my Mac via SMB

2. copied tnfsd.armhf to my home-directory

3. made a directory "Atari" on my home-directory

4. copied all my stuff (games, demos tools etc.) to this new directory

5. logged into my NAS per ssh as admin

6. became root by "sudo su -"

7. copied the raspberry Pi binary to /usr/local/sbin: "cp /volume1/[myhomedir]/tnfsd.armhf /usr/local/sbin/tnfsd"

8. i started the demon, pointing to the Atari-dir: "/usr/local/sbin/tnfsd /volume1/[myhomedir]/Atari &"

Voilá, my local TNFS-Server is running on the IP-address of my Synology NAS!

Now i have to look into adding the tnfsd proper as a system service so that it is available after reboot.

For users with celeron-based Synology NAS, the same will probably work with the the normal Linux x86 tnfsd.

Edited by Dinadan67
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For anyone wanting to run tnfsd on an ATOM based Synology (in my case the 412+) I've attached the tnfsd binary.  Stick it in your /usr/local/bin on the NAS and you should be good to go.  I compiled this in docker on an Ubuntu image using OS=LINUX.

As for getting into your NAS via SSH, there's plenty of official documentation for that. 

If you want to have tnfsd run every time your NAS boots, you have two options:

A) Create a start-stop script and add it to rc.d: https://help.synology.com/developer-guide/integrate_dsm/run_with_system_boot.html

-or-

B) Use DSM's task scheduler to run the command at bootup: https://zarino.co.uk/post/synology-package-start-stop/

I'd go with B.  The command would be

/usr/local/bin/tnfsd /volume/path/to/your/stuff

tnfsd.zip

Edited by tuf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hello tuf

Thanks.  Do I need Docker for this?  And how do I get to the point where I can at least see /usr/local/bin on my DS412+.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS is there a way to locally test if tnfsd is running correctly when you don't have a FujiNet yet?

PPS if somebody can put together something like a "how to install tnfsd on a 412+ for really dumb dummies" that would be very nice.

Edited by Mathy

1 minute ago, Mathy said:

Hello tuf

Thanks.  Do I need Docker for this?  And how do I get to the point where I can at least see /usr/local/bin on my DS412+.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS is there a way to locally test if tnfsd is running correctly when you don't have a FujiNet yet?

Sure, run the tnfs client that's here:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/spectranet-tnfs-fuse

-Thom

Hello @tschak909

Damn your fast.  I hardly got a chance to add the "PPS" before you replied.

Sorry, I don't understand what I have to do.  Let me think out loud for a minute:

- Find /usr/local/bin on my NAS (don't have a clue yet how to do so)

- Put "tnfs_client.py" and "tnfs-fuse.py" from there (don't have a clue yet how)

- Do I need a certain version of Python?  Synology shows me Python 3 and Python Module.

- Do I still need Docker?

- Do a need to install some version of Linux?

- What about tuf's "tfnsd?

As I said above, I need a "... for dumb dummies" guide.

Sincerely

Mathy

once you install tnfsd and get it running on your NAS (I can't speak to that, nor should I be expected to.), you can run tnfs_client.py on your desktop (client) machine. If you need to install python on your desktop machine to do so, then do so.

$ tnfs_client_py <address_of_your_tnfs_server>

Python 2.7 or later, should work.

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

30 minutes ago, Mathy said:

PPS if somebody can put together something like a "how to install tnfsd on a 412+ for really dumb dummies" that would be very nice.

You don't need Docker, this runs natively on your ATOM based Synology. 

You need to figure out how to log in to your 412+ - you SSH to it.  I posted a link above with some info.  As far as I know there's no way to get to those system directories with DSM.  You can put the tnfsd binary on one of your shared volumes and just copy it to /usr/local/bin once you have SSH access.

To test if it's running correctly, use Fujinet and set it up as a TNFS host...that's what I did :)  What Thom is suggesting is a different way to test - both work.

27 minutes ago, Mathy said:

- Find /usr/local/bin on my NAS (don't have a clue yet how to do so)

Do the step below first.

- Put "tnfs_client.py" and "tnfs-fuse.py" from there (don't have a clue yet how)

- Do I need a certain version of Python?  Synology shows me Python 3 and Python Module.

- Do I still need Docker?

- Do a need to install some version of Linux?

Don't do any of this.  Read this and get to the point where you can SSH to the DS412+: https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/General_Setup/How_to_login_to_DSM_with_root_permission_via_SSH_Telnet

- What about tuf's "tfnsd?

Once you've accomplished the task above, copy the tfnsd file to one of your shared synology folders (I assume you know how to mount one of these on a computer somewhere).

If you make it that far post here and I'll step you through it either in the chat here or on a discord somewhere.

Edited by tuf
  • Thanks 1

Hello tuf

To my own amazement, I got as far as where I have the impression that I can copy the file from my iMac to the DS412+.  And then it asks for my root password.  (Insert rand about passwords, bad memory and related stuff here)  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

1 hour ago, Mathy said:

Hello tuf

To my own amazement, I got as far as where I have the impression that I can copy the file from my iMac to the DS412+.  And then it asks for my root password.  (Insert rand about passwords, bad memory and related stuff here)  

Hah - your root password is the same as your normal password if you're trying a 'sudo' command.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 9:46 AM, vinniet said:

I have QNAP NAS and it has Container Station which is Docker based.  My NAS is ARM based and the only image I can find on dockerhub was:

https://hub.docker.com/r/tschak909/tnfsd-armv7l

This worked perfectly when tested with client.  

I have the same NAS, how can I set this up? I found a container in dockerhub - and set it up and it's running, but I get a failure when I try and connect to it from fujinet. 

monsoft/tnfsDOCKER

The TNFS server allows you to easily share files between a PC, Spectrum and Atari (#FujiNet ).

Edited by Frankie

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question on this. 

I downloaded the x64 version of the tschak TNFS server. 

installed the container and checked with the above python script and it is running. 

now my issue is how to get it to point to the Atari folder. 

I have a docker folder in my synology volume, created a TNFS folder and inside that a folder named Atari. This is where I would like to keep all my files. 

I went to the volume tab of the container added that file folder and included what I believe is the correct mount path.  However when I check it with the python script there is nothing there. No files or file folders. 

I am assuming my mount point is probably incorrect but I have tried a whole pile of different mount points to no avail. 

What would be the correct mount point?  The folder is located at:

volume1/docker/TNFS/Atari

(I have tried that as the mount point to no avail). 

any help appreciated. 

Craig

55 minutes ago, moonlight_mile said:

Quick question on this. 

I downloaded the x64 version of the tschak TNFS server. 

installed the container and checked with the above python script and it is running. 

now my issue is how to get it to point to the Atari folder. 

I have a docker folder in my synology volume, created a TNFS folder and inside that a folder named Atari. This is where I would like to keep all my files. 

I went to the volume tab of the container added that file folder and included what I believe is the correct mount path.  However when I check it with the python script there is nothing there. No files or file folders. 

I am assuming my mount point is probably incorrect but I have tried a whole pile of different mount points to no avail. 

What would be the correct mount point?  The folder is located at:

volume1/docker/TNFS/Atari

(I have tried that as the mount point to no avail). 

any help appreciated. 

Craig

The container expects the /data volume to point to wherever you want your TNFS data needs to go. I do not know how to do this on the Synology devices.

-Thom

1 hour ago, tschak909 said:

The container expects the /data volume to point to wherever you want your TNFS data needs to go. I do not know how to do this on the Synology devices.

-Thom

Gotcha. I think what the issue is that the data folder is pointing within the container. When I get some ambition it will download docker and try to change the image to allow the data to point outside the container. 

Thanks for the help.