IGNORED

TNFS and NAS?

Mathy

3 minutes ago, moonlight_mile said:

Gotcha. I think what the issue is that the data folder is pointing within the container. When I get some ambition it will download docker and try to change the image to allow the data to point outside the container. 

Thanks for the help. 

DUDE, IT'S A VOLUME MOUNT!

All you have to do is set the volume mount to point to wherever you need it to point.

-Thom

27 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

DUDE, IT'S A VOLUME MOUNT!

All you have to do is set the volume mount to point to wherever you need it to point.

-Thom

I want to apologize. I had the volumes backwards. I am really sorry. I was basing the setup to the pihole setup I did and it was the same but i got confused with the mount point.

I got it running. Thanks again for your help and your contribution of this container. 

craig

• 2 months later...

Looking to set a TNFS server on my NAS, runs on Xigmanas (formerly Nas4free), based on Freebsd 12.  Running on an AMD FX 8350 at 4Ghz, so x64 platform.  I can SSH into my NAS, and I can fumble my way through Unix.  Anyone give me some pointers?

Edited by wildstar87
Putting cpu details in

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 2:19 AM, wildstar87 said:

Looking to set a TNFS server on my NAS, runs on Xigmanas (formerly Nas4free), based on Freebsd 12.  Running on an AMD FX 8350 at 4Ghz, so x64 platform.  I can SSH into my NAS, and I can fumble my way through Unix.  Anyone give me some pointers?

tschak909 already explained building on Linux, building for a *BSD is almost the same.

Grab the source code (https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/spectranet), put it on your NAS device, and then run:

make OS=BSD

in the tnfs/tnfsd/ directory inside of the downloaded spectranet repo.

Assuming you have all of the correct programs installed (compiler, linker, etc.) on your NAS, it will build a binary called tnfsd inside of the bin/ directory, which you can then execute on your NAS in order to serve files.

You can use the Python script tnfs_client.py to test your new server, assuming you have Python installed on the machine where you are testing from.  You could also use your FujiNet to test as well.

41 minutes ago, spicyjack said:

tschak909 already explained building on Linux, building for a *BSD is almost the same.

Grab the source code (https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/spectranet), put it on your NAS device, and then run:

make OS=BSD

in the tnfs/tnfsd/ directory inside of the downloaded spectranet repo.

Assuming you have all of the correct programs installed (compiler, linker, etc.) on your NAS, it will build a binary called tnfsd inside of the bin/ directory, which you can then execute on your NAS in order to serve files.

You can use the Python script tnfs_client.py to test your new server, assuming you have Python installed on the machine where you are testing from.  You could also use your FujiNet to test as well.

Thanks, I'll give this a try.  I don't think that stuff is installed however, but I will check.  I know that they try to strip out everything that isn't needed, so they can run off a USB drive, they don't even have man pages.  I might have to try installing FreeBSD on another machine to build.

• 1 month later...

Does nobody understand that it's next to impossible to make step by step guides for every concievable NAS, especially since I do not have all these different bits of hardware? You'll need to do some of your own digging.

With that said, you'll want to use the container at docker hub. There are two versions for x86-64 and arm respectively:

https://hub.docker.com/r/tschak909/tnfsd-x64

https://hub.docker.com/r/tschak909/tnfsd-armv7l

The container mounts a volume at /data. You'll want to point that to whatever you wish to expose over tnfs.

The container also exposes UDP port 16384.

The dockerfile is shown here: https://hub.docker.com/layers/tschak909/tnfsd-x64/latest/images/sha256-d24f6d6f7c27c0f0e4095cb9e770c56066313bc0e3cc51eb02b8b03eb87b6a21?context=explore

-Thom 

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

BTW. I got TNFS server running on Synology NAS but not all is working yet. I'm in process of building synology package but there is not very well documented how to do all bits. I think that I'm missing some permissions but when I start process manually as root, all things works. I'm currently out of home and will back on the end of august so will re-start work at this time.

root@HomeStorage:/var/packages/tnfsd/target/bin# ./tnfsd /volume2/ISO/tnfs &
root@HomeStorage:/var/packages/tnfsd/target/bin# Starting tnfsd version 20.1115.2 using root directory "/volume2/ISO/tnfs"
root@HomeStorage:/var/packages/tnfsd/target/bin# netstat -ulpn|grep tnfs
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:16384           0.0.0.0:*                           30025/./tnfsd       
root@HomeStorage:/var/packages/tnfsd/target/bin# ps aux|grep tnfs
root     30025  0.0  0.0   1588   388 pts/6    S    16:23   0:00 ./tnfsd /volume2/ISO/tnfs

Edited by monsoft
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

A BIG thank you to @tschak909 !!  I successfully set up the TNFS server on my NAS and it is working great.  My son, who is a computer programmer (who started on an Atari 400 35 years ago), helped me with the set-up.  I used the Docker container file at https://hub.docker.com/r/tschak909/tnfsd-x64 on a Terra-Master F2-220 NAS.  Thanks to @tschak909 for the FujiNet and the Docker container.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 7:16 PM, tuf said:

For anyone wanting to run tnfsd on an ATOM based Synology (in my case the 412+) I've attached the tnfsd binary.  Stick it in your /usr/local/bin on the NAS and you should be good to go.  I compiled this in docker on an Ubuntu image using OS=LINUX.

Howdy, @tuf.

You wouldn't happen to have a compiled 1.2 (current) version of tfnsd for Atom? My Synology doesn't support Docker, so I cannot compile it myself easily.

1 hour ago, mnemo said:

Howdy, @tuf.

You wouldn't happen to have a compiled 1.2 (current) version of tfnsd for Atom? My Synology doesn't support Docker, so I cannot compile it myself easily.

Oh there's a new version?  I can give it a shot.  Stay tuned, might take me a minute - I'll try when I get home from work tonight.

Edited by tuf

7 minutes ago, tuf said:

Oh there's a new version?  I can give it a shot.  Stay tuned, might take me a minute - I'll try when I get home from work tonight.

That would be great! Take your time. ?

Current version should be here: https://github.com/spectrumero/spectranet/tree/master/tnfs/tnfsd

EDIT: There's also optional functionality that can be enabled with define "TNFS_DIR_EXT". I don't think it's used by FujiNet.

Edited by mnemo

14 hours ago, mnemo said:

That would be great! Take your time. ?

Current version should be here: https://github.com/spectrumero/spectranet/tree/master/tnfs/tnfsd

EDIT: There's also optional functionality that can be enabled with define "TNFS_DIR_EXT". I don't think it's used by FujiNet.

Here you go.  There's an .exe that gets produced as well, not sure what that's for but I included it.  Let me know if it works!

tnfsd-3-17-22.zip

32 minutes ago, tuf said:

Here you go.  There's an .exe that gets produced as well, not sure what that's for but I included it.  Let me know if it works!

Thank you! Sadly, the Linux binary doesn't work on my Synology. I guess it's for another platform?

The .exe is for Windows and works.

/bin/tnfsd: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

I can find the string "/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2" in the binary which refers to 64-bit. But the Intel Atom is 32-bit.

/proc/cpuinfo says:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 54
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU CE5335   @ 1.60GHz
stepping        : 2
microcode       : 0x205
cpu MHz         : 1600.126
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm movbe lahf_lm arat dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2022 at 3:07 AM, mnemo said:

Thank you! Sadly, the Linux binary doesn't work on my Synology. I guess it's for another platform?

I know it's been a minute but I just had to recompile for a new Synology that runs a Celeron.  To compile it you need an OS that has an older version of GLIBC since the Synology runs an older version.  I used "Holy Build Box" in Docker on the Synology to build it in, which worked great.  I did have to add "-std=c99" to the CFLAGS (add it to the end of the FLAGS line for LINUX) to get it to compile.

tnfsd

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 9:33 AM, tuf said:

I know it's been a minute but I just had to recompile for a new Synology that runs a Celeron.  To compile it you need an OS that has an older version of GLIBC since the Synology runs an older version.  I used "Holy Build Box" in Docker on the Synology to build it in, which worked great.  I did have to add "-std=c99" to the CFLAGS (add it to the end of the FLAGS line for LINUX) to get it to compile.

Thanks for getting back to me, but sadly this exe won't run on my NAS, either.

Same problem: It's a 64-bit exe, but the NAS is 32-bit. Just looked at the "Holy Build Box" homepage and it says it can ONLY build 64-bit exes.

$ /usr/bin/tnfsd
-sh: /usr/bin/tnfsd: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

I would like to build the exe myself, but my old Synology DS214play doesn't support Docker. ?

I put tnfsd on a Raspberry Pi 4 now and installed Samba to easily access the tnfsd directory to put some stuff in. ?

Edited by mnemo

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2022 at 3:02 AM, mnemo said:

I would like to build the exe myself, but my old Synology DS214play doesn't support Docker. ?

I put tnfsd on a Raspberry Pi 4 now and installed Samba to easily access the tnfsd directory to put some stuff in. ?

Hah well I tried to compile you a 32 bit copy but ran in to all sorts of issues and ran out of time.  Hosting on the Pi is a reasonable solution!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/2/2020 at 11:14 AM, tschak909 said:

Yup, I built that container.

-Thom

I know this is old thread but I been using your container for 4 years until my NAS drives died and I had to rebuild it.   I have you container installed and it sees atari stuff from my NAS drive.  Also see tnfsd is running linked to that directory.  When I try to connect from Fujinet it times out.  Other sites work fine from Fujinet.  I am baffled on why it will not connect.  Thoughts anyone?

UPDATE:  I used the python tnfs client on NAS and went against the local address 10.0.3.2 and I can connect.  Its just not connecting over the external address.  Seems like docker thing. 

Edited by vinniet

51 minutes ago, vinniet said:

I know this is old thread but I been using your container for 4 years until my NAS drives died and I had to rebuild it.   I have you container installed and it sees atari stuff from my NAS drive.  Also see tnfsd is running linked to that directory.  When I try to connect from Fujinet it times out.  Other sites work fine from Fujinet.  I am baffled on why it will not connect.  Thoughts anyone?

UPDATE:  I used the python tnfs client on NAS and went against the local address 10.0.3.2 and I can connect.  Its just not connecting over the external address.  Seems like docker thing. 

Can you print the tnfsd version that comes up when you start it?

-Thom

• 3 weeks later...

So I went down this rabbit hole this weekend with mixed results.  I was able to create a Win11 image via VirtualBox and import it to the Virtualization Machine on my QNAP NAS.  Its  a pig but it works for now.  Id rather the Unix/Docker route but am not that experienced with that.  QNAP provides Docker access so I can download the container here:

https://hub.docker.com/r/tschak909/tnfsd-x64 

What I dont know is how I would get into it to put my files and make it available on my personal network.  For the Win11 image I just had to turn on network discovery and it worked.

Also - for those that want to try this you can run Win11 Home without a license - you cant customize it, but for a TNFS server it can work.

Also - is there a place where I can get the Highscore enabled images to host on my private server for myself :)