Jump to content
Mathy

TNFS and NAS?

Recommended Posts

I would be seriously interested in a TNFS build for the Synology NASs. 

 

I currently own a DS413 and would like to run the server on it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

I would be seriously interested in a TNFS build for the Synology NASs. 

 

I currently own a DS413 and would like to run the server on it. 

What cpu does it use? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

What cpu does it use? 

Dual Core 1.067 GHz CPU (Not sure if this is Intel based or other)

DDR3 1GB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What OS does the Synology use? Is it proprietary or something like a Linux variant? If it’s Linux, you can build the TNFS server yourself. Fortunately, the server is so lightweight that it can run easily on a tiny $10 Raspberry Pi R W. I run mine headless and just SSH into it when I need to access it directly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay found some more info on the CPU

 

Freescale Q P1022 @ 1.067GHz

 

OS is DSM 6.X

Edited by Dropcheck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

Dual Core 1.067 GHz CPU (Not sure if this is Intel based or other)

DDR3 1GB

That doesn't help much :( Need to know what architecture it is.. arm64, x86, x64, PowerPC, whatever.

--

So it's a PowerPC e500v2 CPU. Can you install a build system on the NAS itself? I dunno anything about DSM OS. I think you're on your own with this obscure hardware, sorry.

Edited by mozzwald
edit again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

That doesn't help much :( Need to know what architecture it is.. arm64, x86, x64, PowerPC, whatever

I checked a few review sites and confirmed that all of them seem to agree this is the CPU used.  Freescale Q P1022 @ 1.067GHz

 

Here's the fact sheet I found from NXP who apparently bought out Freescale.

QP1022FS.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

I checked a few review sites and confirmed that all of them seem to agree this is the CPU used.  Freescale Q P1022 @ 1.067GHz

 

Here's the fact sheet I found from NXP who apparently bought out Freescale.

QP1022FS.pdf 266.67 kB · 2 downloads

Here's some info about building software for Synology NAS devices..

https://help.synology.com/developer-guide/compile_applications/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Here's some info about building software for Synology NAS devices..

https://help.synology.com/developer-guide/compile_applications/index.html

 I dabbled in Linux some years ago and played around with the Raspberry a little, but that's way more complicated than my limited experience.   Before I can even start with Synology specific stuff I'd have to setup a Linux/TNFS box with the proper build environment first.  Way more complicated and time consuming than I can afford right now just to use and test hardware.   I'm not much of a software development person.  I have to hand it to you guys who are. 

 

Oh well looks like I'll run the TNFS on a Windows box for the time being.  Thanks anyway.   🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

Oh well looks like I'll run the TNFS on a Windows box for the time being.

Well, you can get the same functionality from an RPi. As I said above, a $10 Raspbery Pi Zero W works great for this purpose. Add another a cheap microUSB power supply and an 8GB memory card and that’s all you need. Don’t even need a keyboard or monitor connected once you’ve got it setup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys

 

I'm not gonna buy a Raspberry Pi for this or any other job/reason.  I've got more than enough hardware (Atari's excluded!).

 

Somebody gave me the advice to install "Docker" on my DiskStation.  So I did that.  After that I can install Linux or Raspbian in Docker and then run the appropriate TNFS on that.  I just now asked that person if he would recommend Linux or Raspbian.  And if there's a difference in CPU load.

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

Edited by Mathy
Added the missing "if"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mathy said:

I just now asked that person if he would recommend Linux or Raspbian.  And there's a difference in CPU load.

Raspbian is just a particular Linux distribution (there are hundreds of them). It happens to have been created for Raspberry Pi boards, although I guess you could run it on almost anything these days. 

 

Ironically, the Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't actually use "Raspbian" these days; instead they call it "Raspberry Pi OS" but it's basically the same thing with a bunch of newer packages and support for newer hardware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrVenkman said:

Raspbian is just a particular Linux distribution (there are hundreds of them). It happens to have been created for Raspberry Pi boards, although I guess you could run it on almost anything these days. 

 

Ironically, the Raspberry Pi Foundation doesn't actually use "Raspbian" these days; instead they call it "Raspberry Pi OS" but it's basically the same thing with a bunch of newer packages and support for newer hardware.

tnfsd doesn't have any dependencies. It's very well self contained, and on UNIX systems, all of the calls map to POSIX, so you can pretty much run whatever container you want, raspbian, alpine, whatever. it'll just work.

 

-Thom

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys

 

But when it comes to cpu load, Raspbian isn't ligher than Linux?

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mathy said:

But when it comes to cpu load, Raspbian isn't ligher than Linux?

You're missing what I wrote above. Let me try again: "Linux" is a rather generic term. Raspbian *IS* Linux. Just one particular distribution - or flavor - of Linux. There are HUNDREDS of Linux distributions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

 

I'm not gonna buy a Raspberry Pi for this or any other job/reason.  I've got more than enough hardware (Atari's excluded!).

 

Somebody gave me the advice to install "Docker" on my DiskStation.  So I did that.  After that I can install Linux or Raspbian in Docker and then run the appropriate TNFS on that.  I just now asked that person if he would recommend Linux or Raspbian.  And if there's a difference in CPU load.

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

Where did you get the Docker program? 

 

If I'm reading the replies right then you should be able to use a 'light' version of any generic Linux distribution that supports POSIX.  'light' usually means the GUI interface that a lot of popular Linux distributions have is missing.   This significantly reduces the CPU load of the Linux version.  Not sure what affect the Docker program puts on the CPU load. 

Edited by Dropcheck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Lenore

 

Just now, Dropcheck said:

Where did you get the Docker program?

 

In the package center, that you'll find in the DiskStation menu.  "All Packages", "Third Party" (I hope that's the right translation.  I'm not sure which translation DSM uses in English.)

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's anything like a WD or a ReadyNAS you just enable ssh login, log on and install gcc, use gcc to build tnfsd, move it to /usr/bin and autorun it in init.d. I've done this to install torrent clients etc. on a few NAS's, never had a Synology NAS though.

 

 

Edit: It appears Synology don't allow that and you have to cross compile and create a package to install through their manager.

 

Edited by Mr Robot
More info
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Lenore

 

 

In the package center, that you'll find in the DiskStation menu.  "All Packages", "Third Party" (I hope that's the right translation.  I'm not sure which translation DSM uses in English.)

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

 

 

 

It appears neither my DS413 or DS214Play have the right cpu for Synology to support Docker installation.  Crap!  🙁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Lenore

 

16 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

It appears neither my DS413 or DS214Play have the right cpu for Synology to support Docker installation.  Crap!  🙁

 

That's odd, my DS412+ is a year older than your DS413.  Did you enable "third party packages".  IIRC you have to enable those manually.  (Sorry, it's past 3 o'clock at night overhere, time to hit the sack, so I'm not gonna check in my DS again.  Doing those little things usually lead to: "Damn, is it that late already?")  :D

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

 

Edited by Mathy
Added the smiley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mathy said:

Hello Lenore

 

 

That's odd, my DS412+ is a year older than your DS413.  Did you enable "third party packages".  IIRC you have to enable those manually.  (Sorry, it's past 3 o'clock at night overhere, time to hit the sack, so I'm not gonna check in my DS again.  Doing those little things usually lead to: "Damn, is it that late already?")  :D

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

 

Seems Synology won't support Docker on any other cpu other than x86.  I do have 3rd party enabled.  But so far I'm not finding any release that supports the cpus I have. 

 

I do have a Raspberry.  Although I've upgraded the OS to Stretch.  I'll look to see if I can cobble together something.  But I don't intend to spend hours installing and recompiling.  It's just not worth it time wise to test boards.  I do have a working Windows temp install. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

I do have a Raspberry.  Although I've upgraded the OS to Stretch.  I'll look to see if I can cobble together something.  But I don't intend to spend hours installing and recompiling.

Even on a tiny, underpowered Pi Zero W, it only takes like a minute or less to compile. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

I do have a Raspberry.  Although I've upgraded the OS to Stretch.  I'll look to see if I can cobble together something.  But I don't intend to spend hours installing and recompiling.  It's just not worth it time wise to test boards.  I do have a working Windows temp install. 

Here are the instructions to build a tnfs server on a pi

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/Setting-up-TNFS-on-a-Raspberry-Pi

 

If you have a pi with stretch installed and connected to your network you can start at

"sudo -i"

 

it just takes a couple of minutes to have a working install

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...