IGNORED

Stella - Mouse Paddle question

BobZ

I use a mouse for 2600 games that normally use a paddle (Warlords, Kaboom,etc).

but the direction is reversed....left is right and right is left.

I have the full Stella users manual but don’t see where I could reverse that so left=left and right=right.

I’ve tested a bunch of setting changes with no luck! any suggestions? 

Bob

That’s cool. I’m saying I use a mouse but it’s actually mouse internals inside of an Atari Paddle that I built.

So it’s really still a mouse, much like the build you posted. What’s odd is that if I run Stella on my PC it works as expected. When I run Stella from my RetroPie (my default), the control is reversed. Even weirder...inside Stella on the RetroPie, you can also use the mouse in Stella for navigating all of the config menus. My mouse/paddle goes in the correct direction inside Stellas menus!!! Then I exit the config menus and the mouse is back to reverse.  So I really thought the solution resides inside the Stella configs somewhere. I haven’t found where so far! I like the fidget spinner controller, that’s great. Maybe I’ll build that too....stuck indoors with extra time!

Yes, I’ve tried that. I methodically tested every permutation on the Game Properties/controllers tab.

I can always just run Stella from my PC if I want to play a paddle game I guess! Not sure why Stella on Linux (RetroPie) is giving me this issue. Plus I could create a spinner like the video above - you can change the axis physically on the spinner by adjusting it. So there’s that. I definitely have a few work around options. Just bummed I can’t get this to work as expected!

Paddles_IAxDR is the setting I use. That works best. It’s reversed as I was saying...and other setting are pretty lousy. If I press the TAB button to get to the Stella config menus, the mouse goes in the correct direction!! WTF. Exit the menus and I’m in reverse for game play. I tried the Stella version RetroPie uses by default then I upgraded to whatever version it uses when you tell it to go out to the github Stella site and get the most recent. I think the issue is the Stella on Linux or whatever version you get with RetroPie. I can stick to Stella on my PC but I use RetroPie for all of my game emulators. 
It would be nice to have it all in 1 place. 

Just “Paddles” produces terrible results - jittery, jumpy, etc.... I’ve already tried every combination of settings. The only one where my mouse works well is IAxDR. But the motion is reversed.  Any other settings produce an unusable result. I just built a quick test version of the spinner as in the video posted on here - that works well. I’ll just build that for my RetroPie. I’ll stick to the mouse/paddle in Stella for the PC version.