(Game 6)

Mission X

Mattel-Mission-X.jpg

Mission X by Mattel Electronics 1982-83
You control a World War II plane, bombing enemy targets and shooting down
enemy planes.

mission_x.gif

ROM Download Link

http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21555/intellivision/Mission-X-1982-Mattel.html

High Score Club Record

149,890 Ignorama

Game Setting

PRESS DISC

Contest Ends
SUNDAY APRIL 12TH 11:59PM EST

(HIGH SCORES)

1. 106,990 BiffMan [+11]

2. 88,170 JacobZu7zu7 [+10]

3. 74,600 cmadruga [+9]

4. 70,950 JasonlikesINTV [+7]

5. 55,920 gezkc [+6]

6. 45,420 Intelligentleman [+5]

7. 39,780 cparsley [+4]

8. 33,250 Ace24 [+3]

9. 30,770 wolfy62 [+2]

10. 28,080 ed1475 [+1]

11. 24,230 IntyFanMatt [+1]

12. 23,630 mr_me [+1]

13. 22,360 fakecortex [+1]

14. 13,690 roadrunner [+1]

15. 13,470 PlayerOne [+1]

16. 12,780 dpisacane [+1]
17. 8,280 jblenke [+1]

Rankings

1. IntyFanMatt [+36]

1. gezkc [+36]

3. BiffMan [+33]

4. wolfy62 [+22]

4. mr_me [+22]

4. dpisicane [+22]

7. Player One [+20]

8. cmadruga [+19]

9. JasonlikesINTV [+17]

10. JacobZu7zu7 [+14]

11. m-crew [+13]

12. fakecortex [+11]

13. Intellfan [+10]

14. hoosierdadee78 [+7]

15. Intelligentleman [+6]

15. Ace24 [+6]

17. jblenkle [+5]

18. S.BAZ [+3]

18. roadrunner [+3]

20. t0spmad [+2]

20. Mister-VCS [+2]

Games Won

2 - BiffMan (Atlantis - Demon Attack)

1 - mr_me (Lock N Chase - Tron Deadly Discs)

1 - gezkc (Burgertime)

1 - cmadruga (Tron Deadly Discs *speed 1*)

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

41 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

One of the few games I don’t have. Never heard anything good about it though. You guys enjoy!

If you've never played and you see it for a good price, I recommend it. Like many other intellivision games, it has its share of flaws, but also its charms. It has hardly left my Intellivision since I got it 3 or 4 weeks ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

If you've never played and you see it for a good price, I recommend it. Like many other intellivision games, it has its share of flaws, but also its charms. It has hardly left my Intellivision since I got it 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Ok I’ll see if I can find it but I’m not that motivated to get it. Thank you. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

This is going to be hopefully fun and interesting for me,because I gotta admit,for whatever reason I have never actually played this game!??

That's what's great about HSC!  ?

It's decently entertaining, and changing height is a fun tactic/escape mechanism.  The meat of the game is definitely in target selection, so be sure to check out the instructions for score values.  Also, it's really satisfying when you nail both sides of a bridge! ?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

That's what's great about HSC!  ?

It's decently entertaining, and changing height is a fun tactic/escape mechanism.  The meat of the game is definitely in target selection, so be sure to check out the instructions for score values.  Also, it's really satisfying when you nail both sides of a bridge! ?

I've gotten pretty good at bridge bombing!  Plus I think you get 1000 bonus points if you do it.

5 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

I've gotten pretty good at bridge bombing!  Plus I think you get 1000 bonus points if you do it.

500 bonus on top of the 150 each segment, so 800 total for 2 bombs. Best bomb target outside aircraft carriers! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gezkc said:

This is another one I've never played before. 

Do you like it?  I am gunna pick it up on eBay and give it a go.  I watched some gameplay videos and it looks pretty cool.  I always liked 1942 and this looks similar.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Do you like it?  I am gunna pick it up on eBay and give it a go.  I watched some gameplay videos and it looks pretty cool.  I always liked 1942 and this looks similar.

I've only just started playing it but it's not bad actually. Not as good as 1942 but definitely the same sort of game. 

• Like 3

Ok folks, what am I missing here? What can you shoot at? I'm only hitting things with my bombs. Do I have to be at certain altitudes? I feel like you fly faster when you're lower. I read the instructions, so I'm getting a good idea of the high point targets and I'm remembering to fly low on the runways.

For our reference:

https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Mattel_Intellivision//Manual/formated/Mission-X_-_1983_-_Mattel_Electronics.pdf

1514996454_MissionX2020-03-3118_26_49.thumb.png.2944092f4c4833b965b16f9118973468.png

I am definitely going to read the booklet first on this one.

For years I was dumb enough to think I wouldn't learn anything from reading them,that I was too good at video games.

And then there was the lazy part,oh man that's most of it!

Too lazy to take it out and read because I didnt have the patience to wait to play a game.

Or attempt to play it that is! No wonder I always got lousy scores.?

I have found since I started reading the game book about six months  ago, there are always tips on what to do and how to get more points I would never have figured out on my own.

When in doubt,

Take the instructions out!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Ok folks, what am I missing here? What can you shoot at? I'm only hitting things with my bombs. Do I have to be at certain altitudes? I feel like you fly faster when you're lower. I read the instructions, so I'm getting a good idea of the high point targets and I'm remembering to fly low on the runways.

For our reference:

https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Mattel_Intellivision//Manual/formated/Mission-X_-_1983_-_Mattel_Electronics.pdf

1514996454_MissionX2020-03-3118_26_49.thumb.png.2944092f4c4833b965b16f9118973468.png

Here's a quick run down that should help. I had some of these same questions when I first started playing a month ago or so.

For the most part, you're going to be bombing the targets below. 

You cannot shoot the surface-to-air missiles that come up at you.

You can dodge them left and right. Or, by diving down or climbing up.

Occasionally, other fighter planes will attack you. They will match your altitude, but dodging left and right still works. 

You can also blast them with your cannons.

It's important to get a feel for what your plane looks like at the various altitudes and what the missiles look like.

It's entirely possible to fly right through a missile if you're sufficiently above or below it.

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, fakecortex said:

At game over, press a side button and it shows back up. Glad I read the instructions for that one cause I was confused at first too.

Thanks for the tips Intelligentleman!

I read the book,I thought from front to back . Dont know how I missed that,thank you!!!?

• Haha 1