IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 6 - Mission X

I just got a new high and then accidentally hit a button that restarted the game before I was able to take a screen shot (I thought I was hitting a button to bring the score back up). It was 21,XXX. I hope I can beat that and get a pic. I wish the game relied more on the machine gun and less on the bombs. I would love to be able to shoot the missiles out of the air.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

I think personal best :)

431 hits

I lost 2 lifes on nothing though, 1 on the bridge a plane shot me off my own pad while recharging! and again when I was respawning, right in front of its fire range, WEAK! .... ?

88,170.jpg

Nice score!  And yes, that runway isn't a safe area for you.  The guns will take a break, but the fighters are happy to strafe your ass.   ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

I think personal best :)

431 hits

I lost 2 lifes on nothing though, 1 on the bridge a plane shot me off my own pad while recharging! and again when I was respawning, right in front of its fire range, WEAK! .... ?

88,170.jpg

Nice score! Yeah, those fighters that take cheap shots on the runway are the worst.

13 minutes ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

Thanks, I played a few more and improved my ratio, but only got into the 50k range.  With more time I'm sure I could improve.  Still pretty happy as I think I finally get this game.

It's not bad as far as games of this type go.  Decent Xevious vibe and the difficulty ramps at a pretty reasonable and smooth rate.  Another reason these HSCs are so fun, gives you an excuse to dive in and really get to know these games!

• Like 2

My main strategy is to spend most of my time at max altitude, only dropping down to dodge the occasional missiles. Until the train tracks! Then I dive up and down repeatedly while bombing the ever loving bejeezus out of the tracks. Each segment is worth 100 points, I think. Then when you get to the part with the train engines you need to make a point to hit them because they're a pretty high value target. You end up with a lower point to hit ratio this way, but I always go by the end total score anyway.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

My main strategy is to spend most of my time at max altitude, only dropping down to dodge the occasional missiles. Until the train tracks! Then I dive up and down repeatedly while bombing the ever loving bejeezus out of the tracks. Each segment is worth 100 points, I think. Then when you get to the part with the train engines you need to make a point to hit them because they're a pretty high value target. You end up with a lower point to hit ratio this way, but I always go by the end total score anyway.

By contrast, I spend all of my time at lowest altitude where the plane is the fastest. Way easier for me to dodge missiles and I'd rather live longer than get in a few extra hits per screen. 

I do zoom up/down on the rail/road to hit trucks & trains so I don't have to veer off course, but later on that gets pretty unreliable as a tactic when the missiles are coming really fast.

3 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

By contrast, I spend all of my time at lowest altitude where the plane is the fastest. Way easier for me to dodge missiles and I'd rather live longer than get in a few extra hits per screen. 

I do zoom up/down on the rail/road to hit trucks & trains so I don't have to veer off course, but later on that gets pretty unreliable as a tactic when the missiles are coming really fast.

Yeah on my high score run, I started noticing that I'd have missiles coming at me from various simultaneous altitudes, making it really tough to dive / climb without hitting one of them.

I'll have to experiment with your approach next time!

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 1