IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 6 - Mission X

It's interesting to look at the ratio of score/hits.

Biffman seems to be highly efficient at 198 points/hit. I'm sure he has been prioritizing targets well.

gezkc showed good improvement between tries! I'm sure Intelligentleman will see improvement as well.

On the other hand... I'm lagging behind the average ?

image.png.30feff171c3b620fa4497e2382f3c5fd.png

Hence, what the strategy tip section of the manual says... (in red)

image.thumb.png.5f94921a05d0f6f1102526de52b30ce3.png

Edited by cmadruga
  • Thanks 7

21 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

It's interesting to look at the ratio of score/hits.

Biffman seems to be highly efficient at 198 points/hit. I'm sure he has been prioritizing targets well.

gezkc showed good improvement between tries! I'm sure Intelligentleman will see improvement as well.

On the other hand... I'm lagging behind the average ?

image.png.30feff171c3b620fa4497e2382f3c5fd.png

Hence, what the strategy tip section of the manual says... (in red)

image.thumb.png.5f94921a05d0f6f1102526de52b30ce3.png

Thanks cmadruga - very interesting! 

I've been trying to go for the big score targets, but sometimes I just hit what I can!

I think my ratio was better the second time mainly because I coped better with the planes. 

42 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

... which makes sense since enemy planes are the highest ratio targets in the game, together with carriers.

image.thumb.png.21f3cd465e6acf38ca79d4fcdeaa94ec.png

Definitely get better scores when I get lucky with a long string of fighter planes. 

Key one in there is how high value trucks are. Same as half a bridge and almost double a tank. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

The one thing I would add to the target selection strategy, though, is that sometimes you're better off if you can clear out 4 or 5 low value targets instead of veering over to a lone tank or something like that.

Depends on how much that target is worth, I guess.  1 truck = 3 AA guns...  1 train engine = 6 AA guns...  ?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Has anyone figured out the timing to consistently get 3 hits on the large ships / carriers?

I don't think the cadence allows for it... which is kind of frustrating, but I suspect it relates to a technical limitation of # sprites on screen.

1 minute ago, cmadruga said:

I don't think the cadence allows for it... which is kind of frustrating, but I suspect it relates to a technical limitation of # sprites on screen.

Might be possible if you slowed way the heck down, but not worth it in my opinion regardless.  Hit twice and move on to something else.  ?

5 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

Managed to boost my efficiency to 240 pts/hit! 

However, being focused is just part of it... 

image.png.2164014e3a2a75e044e0bffd33c9c669.png

Very nice!  Definitely a great ratio.  Did you happen to have a lot of planes to shoot down on that run?  I'm wondering whether they count as "hits" or not and might explain why my ratio seems to vary more than I would expect.

By the way, I love that you analyzed points per hit average.  Speaks to my numbers-oriented geek heart and is yet another fun way to measure success!  ?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Very nice!  Definitely a great ratio.  Did you happen to have a lot of planes to shoot down on that run?  I'm wondering whether they count as "hits" or not and might explain why my ratio seems to vary more than I would expect.

By the way, I love that you analyzed points per hit average.  Speaks to my numbers-oriented geek heart and is yet another fun way to measure success!  ?

Planes definitely count as hits. What's happening is that my dog fighting survival rate seems to be improving. Part of that was myself switching to an emulator... those side buttons were killing me.

4 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Managed to boost my efficiency to 240 pts/hit! 

However, being focused is just part of it... the other part is lasting long enough!

image.png.2164014e3a2a75e044e0bffd33c9c669.png

I love the way you broke everything down for us,it took me a minute to figure out your formula and what you were saying. Awesome,I am off to play the game now ?

I have a feeling you would make an excellent game designer too !?

Actually,I know you already are.....

4 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Planes definitely count as hits. What's happening is that my dog fighting survival rate seems to be improving. Part of that was myself switching to an emulator... those side buttons were killing me.

I feel your pain with the side buttons.

I am using a flashback controller and the buttons are definately softer than my intellivision 2 controllers,and it still sucks pressing them.

I am actually using the right side buttons to make it better but I am used to using the left side buttons.

Either way,I know I am not getting close to that 70k score you posted! 

This game takes some getting used to,and I didnt like it at first but-its  actually kind of fun once you get the hang of it !

I always have a target score in my head when I start a new HSC game,and this is not it!?

20200402_184457.jpg

Edited by wolfy62
Added content.
  • Like 5

On 4/2/2020 at 2:00 AM, wolfy62 said:

I feel your pain with the side buttons.

I am using a flashback controller and the buttons are definately softer than my intellivision 2 controllers,and it still sucks pressing them.

I am actually using the right side buttons to make it better but I am used to using the left side buttons.

Either way,I know I am not getting close to that 70k score you posted! 

I'm using a flashback controller and also finding it easier to use the right side buttons with this game.

With my original Intellivision, I always use the left side buttons. They kill your fingers after a while, but I actually find the Flashback buttons a bit too soft. I think I press them too hard sometimes and they just don't respond for me. 

For some reason, this happens to me less with the right side buttons than with the left. It feels a bit weird holding the controller like this, but at least I know the buttons are going to work when I press them! 

• Like 1