IGNORED

Lynx 2020 Programming Competition

Igor

46 minutes ago, karri said:

Ok. Two weeks to go. i accidentally read the rules and found out that my game and sequencer don't even remotely qualify for the competition. So I tossed these entries and started on a new one. This time in space. I also dropped out of the jam. But if I get this together I will enlist again.

414480851_Screenshotfrom2020-07-3022-15-55.png.2ad60cebdadb413e933e9f208f9c4ac8.png

Not that I'm not intrigued by the title screen of your new entry, but scrapping everything to make a new project from scratch 15 days before the deadline seems like quite risky move to me. It'll lead to a high chance of not being able to submit anything, which would be shame!

Honestly, I think your shooter could easily fit within the theme with a simple modification of the sprite to set it in the future. For example, instead of a plane, the player could ride an hoverboard (I mean, "Back to the Future II" is the perfect incarnation of "90's future") or something like that. You could even keep the current plane sprite and justify it with a backstory: there could have been a big crisis in the world that prevented electronics to be used anymore, and so a biplane could be 2040's most sophisticated way of flying. Or anything else you can come up with. To quote the official compo website about the theme: "Of course this leaves it very open ended and you're only limited by your imagination!"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LordKraken said:

@drludos, I think Karri and Fadest are in the competition for the most prolific contributors to the atari lynx scene, so instead of creating 1 project per competition they create 3 :D

I'm sure they will show something cool anyway :)

Just trying to give Nop90 a run for his money. But I guess it is hopeless. 

• Haha 1

Space-time crystals you say? I guess that's what Karri, Fadest and Nop90 use to create so many games in so little time! :)

Joke aside, that would be a funny coding competition theme: "create as many different Lynx games as you can in one month" (or one week).

This time I'm not going to meet expectations.

Only one game finished so far and the second one with only the basic game engine. Probably I'll save the second entry for the next competition because I can't find free time for coding at the moment.

You should ask for more space-time crystals! ;)

More seriously though, it's great that you already managed to complete one game! Is this the one you were working with Retroguru, or a solo entry?

And yes, it's best to focus on a single polished entry, and save the second one for another competition (and I can feel you won't have to wait for long!)

Same here :). Ground shadows are still missing for moving objects. The flying drone with moving propellers turned out great!

Music and sound effects are still missing as well as most of the encounters. But I will definitely complete the game a week early. (If the rain keeps pouring as it does now.)

xx.png.aeeb23b9606a018b7ee93d1922f632ce.png

1 hour ago, Fadest said:

Back from my second holydays, I guess I have no more excuse to postpone going back to code until monday (when real work restart) :(

Lucky me. I still got almost 2 weeks :) 

But I decided to continue on my boat on Thursday. So I hope to finish the game tomorrow. It will be just one game this time.

Here frantic fight against space crabs.

841864041_Screenshotfrom2020-08-0421-18-14.thumb.png.8002d49e6b51f2bac8ec4c0e9972752c.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those graphics are looking great Karri! I'm going for a much simpler graphical approach myself. This is still very much work in progress and I need to refine a lot of things and add another layer of background scrolling. My art direction is very much red-monotone, not really taking advantage of what the Lynx offers, but that's what I want to make ?

696484032_ScreenShot2020-08-05at09_09_15.thumb.png.1f82eeb5fd7e9e9161709a7d77a07f02.png

• Like 2

Thanks Igor!

As usual I am using the default Lynx palette created by your neighbour @Cammy. It gives the optimum colour space for most games imho.

So you are entering your red period. I also suffered from it with disastrous result. Close to last place in the competition. I don't remember the exact place anymore...

1173901051_Screenshotfrom2019-08-0923-33-05.png.a7d0d28849892ebae27834bb71ab57d7.png

Btw. I discovered a nice trick for creating Lynx resolution graphics. LEGO's. Building something from bricks and taking a snapshot allows you to create all kind of animals and vehicles without details. https://www.mecabricks.com/

Real LEGO's are nice too. If you still have them.

shuttle.png.ca0f338d2530ff337293d8278ec94f15.pngshuttle.png.4a9e0c497742d823790a72ef5a9846c7.png

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

Nice tricks with mecabricks. Have you tried to scale the sprite down with aseprite? It has a special mode that manage to retain a lot of details when you scale down sprites :)

I have to try that one. I usually use GIMP. The best practice for me is to open my desired palette. I usually stay with the default palette in my games.

1894574140_Screenshotfrom2020-08-0512-34-11.png.a6181ce443b8b9f3e00a7b4ee2245f3c.png

Then I re-colour the large scale bitmap to these colours in RGB mode. After that I change the mode to indexed and choose my Lynx palette. As a final step I scale the graphics down to the target resolution.

1 hour ago, karri said:

I have to try that one. I usually use GIMP. The best practice for me is to open my desired palette. I usually stay with the default palette in my games.

1894574140_Screenshotfrom2020-08-0512-34-11.png.a6181ce443b8b9f3e00a7b4ee2245f3c.png

Then I re-colour the large scale bitmap to these colours in RGB mode. After that I change the mode to indexed and choose my Lynx palette. As a final step I scale the graphics down to the target resolution.

In Odynexus we have a custom color palette for each level with some indexes reserved for characters and sprites. The Lynx can only use  16 color palettes but the great thing is that it can display nearly any color you choose for your artwork, thanks to the nice 4096 color space. I was really surprised how well that worked. 

So I do my artworks with KRITA in 32 bit mode and work with the resolution of the Lynx within the limits of 16 colors (no scaling). Later the  image is converted to a 16 color index and then finally converted to  an 24 bit bmp. 

Edited by agradeneu

2 hours ago, 42bs said:

Just a note: One hase to pay attention to test colors also on an un-moded Lynx.
I fell into this trap choosing colors for JagTris. It did look nice on an RGB monitor, but ugly on a TV set.

That is the main reason why I use the default palette. It is the best compromize that also produces some distinguished colours on an original Lynx LCD screen.

An ideal color palette gives you the colors that produces the best possible visual quality. For the old LCDs you need to pay attention to high contrast colors, but only where it's needed, otherwise the colors for shadings blend a bit nicer on those low contrast screens. 

So for a good color palette you need 3-4 contrast colors and some colors for shadings, like 4 blues and 3 whites for a sky, 3  greens for a tree, 3 greys for stones/rocks and so on....  

A seaside background would be mostly blue/white shades, while the sprites contrast with reds and oranges e.g. Black lines is a nice trick to let the sprites "pop". 

The reason Odynexus looks nice is the choice of colors that serves the artistic quality of each level, with a different mood and theme. Honestly a default palette would be a nightmare to work with, at least with a graphics heavy game.   

Edited by agradeneu

It's time for final testing...

Can't wait to see all the games next week-end (26 inscriptions, so up to 26 games).

Right now, I really like the name of the game from Dr Ludos, I hope I do not put my expectations too high on this game :D

Edited by Fadest