IGNORED

Lynx 2020 Programming Competition

Igor

On 8/11/2020 at 12:13 AM, Igor said:

@Fadest I can see you released your game already but didn't include it as a submission to the competition. Can you please submit it as an entry on the competition page?

Submitted ! More than 2 days before the deadline, this is not really compliant with french way of doing things, but who cares.

I guess that if I find some bugs before friday, I can reupload the ROM ?

Hum, 2 days left... Do I start coding another game :D ?

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, karri said:

I also realized that the competition ends in the middle of Friday! At 14:00. What a silly time to end a competition.

Karri, you are so Europe-centered ;-)

Did not check, but maybe it is 24:00 in Australia?

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, 42bs said:

Karri, you are so Europe-centered ;-)

Did not check, but maybe it is 24:00 in Australia?

Is there life outside Europe?

Yes it is midnight in Australia. I could have used an extra week-end for adding some content to the game.

I wonder what the other 23 games are that I am not even aware of.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

Having the weekend would have be great indeed, but we also know about the deadlines for months...

Ah well we are always late anyways we programmers :).

super curious to play your shoot Karri, would love to discuss shoot'em up programming problems later ;)

My "problem" is that I will go out to our summer place early tomorrow morning and fix the sails on my boat. So the only time to write code is a few hours on Friday morning. I am still missing around 18 encounters. So the enemies are bound to be a bit repetitive.

Besides, there is no time for good SFX anymore. So it will kind of sound like On Duty :(

I was hoping on a new sliding pitches sound world. Space-like sounds.

Well, you cannot always have your way. Time to get back to kitchen. I am making some nice sweets to my tea. Rhubarb-pie with Ice Cream.

1421554921_Screenshotfrom2020-08-1215-58-15.thumb.png.5b63a020b8ef8b05f3076eb811e56de4.png

Karri, your entries are always the most appetizing of all! :)

More seriously though, I'm very excited to play all your entries!

I'm very curious about Fadest one, the teasing looked very promising. A board game is a very unique genre for the Lynx, and a very good fit for the console.

Anyway, I'll try to finish my entry and submit it before playing your games, else I'll never finish mine!

Hopefully, it'll be ready tonight or tomorrow!

Edited by drludos

Karri, your shoot management routine looks great. Can't wait to play the released version.

Played a bit the beta version of Dr Ludos Timeloop, and ... the twist is a real game changer.

Need more practise, definitively (took me 4 or 5 games to score more than 2 goals), but as I suspect we get better while playing, I think this will be a great challenger in the contest.

If I have enough time, I will try to give you a better feedback on Patreon.

Feedback from a french betatester of my game (english translation from me):

Je te confirme que j'apprécie ce jeu alors que de prime abord je n'y aurai pas été intéressé. C'est un concept que je ne connaissais pas et très addictif.

I confirm that I appreciate this game whereas at first glance I would not have been interested in it. It's a concept that I didn't know and that is very addicting.

I hope people will give it more than 1 or 2 game to just see how it looks, and games can be very frustrating if player is unlucky... But this is the risk with this kind of game in a coding contest.

Edited by Fadest
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, karri said:

My stuff is also on-line at https://karrika.itch.io/titan

The only problem was that the weight of this artificial intelligence brain is critical. A mouse brain is not clever enough. A physicists brain weighs too much. But a gamer, like you, has a brain just small enough for the drone.

:D :D :D

Looking so much forward to seing everyone's entries!

• Haha 1

Retroguru entry uploaded on itch.io.

@Igor is the entry correctly submitted to partecipate to the competition? I don't have the credentials for the retroguru account on itch.io and can't see any mention of the competition on theentry page.

Note: tomorrow there will be small update to the rom

4 hours ago, Nop90 said:

Retroguru entry uploaded on itch.io.

@Igor is the entry correctly submitted to partecipate to the competition? I don't have the credentials for the retroguru account on itch.io and can't see any mention of the competition on theentry page.

Note: tomorrow there will be small update to the rom

825260671_ScreenShot2020-08-13at09_29_26.thumb.png.d5e2fff2a7b63a47e1c8b5b6cbc2905b.png

Yep looks like it's there, thanks for the submission!

Also @Fadest I think you incorrectly submitted A Bug's Lynx (it doesn't qualify as it was released in April and it seems to have the Asteroids Chasers description)...

977416338_ScreenShot2020-08-13at09_32_02.thumb.png.6fbcd95bb8d0301edb102d180d5eabfd.png

I'll probably be releasing my game later on today. Of course I don't qualify for any prizes but I wanted to submit something.

9 hours ago, LordKraken said:

I can dl asteroid chaser and xump2 but not titan. Gonna test those tonight after Paris is qualified for the  semi finals (or not ?)

Titan is on hold. My son playtested it yesterday and said: "seriously?". Then he asked for tons of modifications. So I hid the code for now. Tomorrow I try to implement the fixes and see if it runs on real hw. If this is the case I submit my entry. If not, well, I go sailing instead.

IMG_20200807_183752.thumb.jpg.8a7bdf1c087c806fe6265d103428e3ad.jpg

7 hours ago, Igor said:

Also @Fadest I think you incorrectly submitted A Bug's Lynx (it doesn't qualify as it was released in April and it seems to have the Asteroids Chasers description)...

Oups, I guess that's why I didn't see the label on Asteroids Chasers page the 1st time and I had to resubmit...

I removed the game from the competition.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone, so I've released and submitted my entry too!

Timeloop is a fun game where you play future soccer against your past self(s)!

tDSo1a.gif

You'll control a blue robot who have to push the green ball into the goal to score points. Move with D-Pad and press A or B button to Dash. Sounds simple? Well there is a catch: the whole game plays inside an endlessly repeating timeloop!

Every 6 seconds, the timeloop will reset the game. Your previous avatar will turn red, and it will move exactly like you did during the previous timeloop. You will play as another robot, always in blue. Up to 8 robots can play at the same time: your current avatar, and 7 of your previous incarnations. So, in this game you'll face the ultimate opponent: yourself!

There is an increasing "score limit" to reach on each timeloop to be able to continue the game. It starts easy, but quickly become challenging.

QbeNZX.png

My current best score is 40 points. Can you do better?

You can download the game roms and the full commented source code here:

https://drludos.itch.io/timeloop

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Edited by drludos
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Igor said:

Looking forward to trying all these new games out!

I've submitted mine as well - https://atarigamer.itch.io/sybils-nightmare-run-agpc2020-edition

@drludos how do you make those gifs on the gameplay?

Wonderful for your entry, I love the graphics and general mood - I will try it ASAP alongside the others :)!

For the gameplay the process is actually quite simple.

First I do a video capture using the Mednafen emulator, of a rather "long" play (several minutes at least, in order to be able to choose the most meaningful gameplay sequence). Once you have the .mov video capture made by mednafen, I'm using the good old virtualdub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) to export a part of this video to GIF. Careful, the video capture is at 60fps, which is too fast for most browser to display GIFs. So before exporting the GIF, I'm reducing the video framerate to 30fps so it plays at a normal speed in browsers.

At first, I tried to use tools that record directly to gif, such as Licecap, but I found difficult to be able to record a short interesting and sequence with them. So I find the "make a normal video capture, then export gifs from it" easier and better now.

• Like 1