IGNORED

Lynx 2020 Programming Competition

Igor

Tried all the games so far. I like all of them, it is nice that they are all different from each other. Can't wait to see the other ones.

But this year again, it will be hard to make a classement.

I just uploaded an improved version of Asteroids Chasers with small modifications :

- small modification to probes sprites to be more compliant with color-blinded people (I hope it will be OK - active and inactive sprites are now a bit different in shapes)

- tutorial is now displayed before every game, unles you switch to Off in Options menu (remember you can allways access to tutorial via Help in contextual menu while playing)

=> read it before 1st play, or you may have some problem to understand what to do.

• Like 3

Ok guys. My game is just a collection of bugs so far. Without content. There is no point in downloading the intermediate versions before the dead-line.

I try to upload crappy versions in order to have something to show for this competition. After that I will enjoy my last summer vacation day with my crappy, modified dinghy. To tell you the truth, she sails very fast and turns on a penny. I am a bit proud of the design. (The boat, I mean. Not the game.)

117592265_10221590260839846_8368458032196065128_n.thumb.jpg.dd33d4e96303655d0a0357e1da8f8894.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, karri said:

I assume this is it.

There is a semi-decent version of Titan out there now. In the few minutes I have left I don't believe I can improve on the game. Enjoy.

This is like Eurojackpot. Am I going to win? Lol...

titan2.gif.f989cbd92910dea24befe038b94f9657.gif

The gfx is cool. I am impressed.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 42bs said:

The gfx is cool. I am impressed.

I second that, your game is beautiful Karri! It feels like a Bitmap Brothers title, congrats!

And the "bouncing" bullet mechanic seems interesting too!

@marss The games seems to appear the competition now (the tag is displayed, and clicking it shows the "jam entry" page). Very mysterious entry with no description, I wonder what kind of game it is!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, drludos said:

I second that, your game is beautiful Karri! It feels like a Bitmap Brothers title, congrats!

And the "bouncing" bullet mechanic seems interesting too!

@marss The games seems to appear the competition now (the tag is displayed, and clicking it shows the "jam entry" page). Very mysterious entry with no description, I wonder what kind of game it is!

Thanks!

I played om @marss game a bit. It has nice graphics as usual. Also speech, and a cool soundtrack.

256761287_Screenshotfrom2020-08-1414-53-57.png.8e2a5917881590a35fac4c2a391b95df.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drludos said:

wonder what kind of game it is!

Is an early demo of a dungeon crawler with procedurally generated levels.

At the moment you can only explore an empty dungeon shooting blocks.

We decided to submit it in this state to receive feedbacks on the game developement.

I'm adding monsters at the moment, than I'll add weapons and the ingame menu system. Last thing will be the trading systems in the ship.

4 minutes ago, karri said:

and a cool soundtrack.

There is no soundtrack, only a quick and dirty ambient tune to give the idea of a cave.

I have to add a menu track and battle tracks when enemies appears. Also the color of the screen will gradually turn to violet and  the red when more and more enemies will be in the level.

I'm very sad for not finishig it, could have done with the time available, but had to give priority to my family and my jiob.

A promotion during Covid days (with doubled busines objectives)  is not easy to handle.

11 minutes ago, Fadest said:

Only 6 games ?

I'm a bit disappointed :(

Me too. When saying "less is more" I did not mean number of games :( 

This "itch.io" jam engine sucks. It announced 29 entries but revealed just 6. Is there perhaps some explanation?

@karri ...

"A gamer, like you, has a brain just small enough."

Hey! I resemble that remark.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Nop90 said:

We decided to submit it in this state to receive feedbacks on the game developement.

Where is it located?  I don't see it.

For the others I see so far, all very nice. 

I quickly became addicted to Asteroids Chasers, although the "luck" factor can be quite frustrating.  So many times I get a Mine followed by a Pirate, then 2 Mines in a row.  No way to not game over on that combo.  Still, the achievements keep me going back for more.

Titan looks great.  Haven't had time to play much yet.

I really look forward to spending more time with Minimal.

Timeloop is all kinds of FRANTIC.  Quick exciting gameplay.  I'm terrible at it though.  My high score so far is 11... no idea how @drludos got 40!  That's mastery level.

Xump2 is more great Xump gameplay.  Obviously an instant hit IMO.

Sybil's Run looks cool.  Again, haven't had much time for it yet, but I look forward to it.

These are all the ones I'm aware of so far.

Thank you to everyone who's shared their games or works in progress.  All of you have been amazing and I really appreciate the new games.  Of course, any that eventually get official releases on a cartridge will be an instant buy for me.

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

Where is it located?  I don't see it.

It is Minimal: the code and that "minimal" music is by me, GFX is by @marss. @glafouk will eventually provide a proper soundtrack for the final version.

I'm happy of the level generator, I studied how the level generator of spelunky works and then created from scratch my engine. it use a very small set of patterns but produces good levels. Doubling the patterns it will be great.

2 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

It is Minimal...

Ah okay.  Yeah, I misunderstood who made that submission.

2 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

I'm happy of the level generator, I studied how the level generator of spelunky works and then created from scratch my engine. it use a very small set of patterns but produces good levels. Doubling the patterns it will be great.

Looks AWESOME so far.  I really look forward to more.

29 minutes ago, karri said:

Me too. When saying "less is more" I did not mean number of games :( 

This "itch.io" jam engine sucks. It announced 29 entries but revealed just 6. Is there perhaps some explanation?

People can join but most didn't submit anything. I think the cause is that a lot of itch.io users are youg kids that don't mind clicking around.

If the members that joined was not hidden we could have seen how many of them where developers. It's unlikely that an unexperienced progrmmer produces a game for the lynx, how it's improbable that many new games can come from out of the atariage community. 

BTW: I was one of the subscriber that did not submitted an entry: I was not able to finish Minimal, so have to admit that 3 games was really too ambitious.

Edited by Nop90

6 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

People can join but most didn't submit anything. I think the cause is that a lot of itch.io users are youg kids that don't mind clicking around.

If the members that joined was not hidden we could have seen how many of them where developers. It's unlikely that an unexperienced progrmmer produces a game for the lynx, how it's improbable that many new games can come from out of the atariage community. 

BTW: I was one of the subscriber that did not submitted an entry: I was not able to finish Minimal, so have to admit that 3 games was really too ambitious.

I'm a bit disappointed by the number of entries too, and I'm sad that all the efforts @Igor made to run this great competition didn't attract more people. With 29 participants, even if not everyone would have been able to complete his entry, I was expecting at least 20 games.

But, hopefully, the quality of the releases submitted more than counter-balance the quantity of games!

These are very varied games, and all are enjoyable to play. I haven't been able to try them all yet, but for now I'm really enjoying Asteroids Chaser. Once you've read the instructions, the game is very simple to play and quite addictive! I love board games like Carcassonne where you have to arrange tiles, and this one reminds me a bit a of it with a touch of Othello for the "mine surrounding" mechanic. The game is a perfect fit for the Lynx. It's also very polished with rewards, menu and a very professional looking graphics and presentation. Honestly, it feels like it could be released on cartridge in its current state! (and I hope it will!). Congrats @Fadest!

I'll try the other entries and share my impressions too!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

Are you already having lots of entries booked for SV2020?

I was not expecting 20 entries, but maybe a bit more than last year.

I mean the usual suspects (we got a part of them), some that did not entered last year and maybe some newcomers...

I know last year was special with the 30th birthday. But being on itch.io this year, with a 4 month deadline and with some nice prizes, I thought we would get more games...

And after close inspection, it seems 5 out of the 6 games are not intended to play for the podium by their author :D:

On 8/10/2020 at 7:52 AM, Fadest said:

I'm quite happy with the game and averything around it, but this is definitively not a candidate to victory.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:06 AM, karri said:

so my guess is that my entry is far from the best games this time also. Hopefully not last as it was at Silly Ventures.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:48 PM, Nop90 said:

Retroguru game shoul be ready to be released in beta version [...]. Will not be a winning title but at least I'm satisfied of the coding part.

On 8/13/2020 at 1:33 AM, Igor said:

I'll probably be releasing my game later on today. Of course I don't qualify for any prizes but I wanted to submit something.

4 hours ago, marss said:

Alpha of an alpha of an alpha rom of Minimal released ;)

• Haha 3