IGNORED

Lynx 2020 Programming Competition

Igor

On 9/1/2020 at 5:30 AM, karri said:

The word rtfm is meant to be part of this so-called humour that was very common in the old days. Even dead serious companies like IBM had sayings like "you can wear any colour suit, as long as it's black". Even the installation manual contained hacker jokes like "don't force it, use a bigger hammer". Everything is not to be understood literally. Hackers of the time found these small sayings funny.

Today you may still have a chance to meet some of the hacker legends that occasionally lurk in these developer forums.

I suppose the RTFM wasn't quite used in what seems to be the normal context (to do with the manual but not just a load of things the manual would tell you it you know what I mean) so I suppose it was meant to be humourous - "you'll get it if you just look" so I might have interpreted that wrong thanks to the limitations of text. I feel like that is even the kind of thing one of my other friends who is younger than me would say today (RTFM).

On 8/30/2020 at 7:06 AM, 42bs said:

The developers where hackers (IMHO) and the ones writing for the Lynx 1989 where hackers two. Ever looked at a Howard board?

As for "sharq", RTFM ?

I looked at the manual and yes, it says "best mnemonic" for sharq, which proves your point of it having informal content, though it is just one instance in a reasonably long manual. Now I read more of the lynx manual (the main bit I had read before was the bit about sound where the guy keeps talking in first person, making comments like about how he hates music etc, and the "be cheap" repeated) I realise that most of it is written formally, so like in the Jag manual it is just a relatively small part of it that is as informal as that, though not quite as small. The "dos and don'ts" bit is informal too but I didn't feel that was quite on a level with the audio section. So I apologise for taking you on this tangent.

16 hours ago, No One You Know said:

The "dos and don'ts" bit is informal too but I didn't feel that was quite on a level with the audio section. So I apologise for taking you on this tangent.

As I wrote, it was written by hackers for hackers. But no problem.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, No One You Know said:

I suppose. It just surprised me that any company would allow that in an official dow

I was in charge of the developement of the software and processing of a MRI scanner in the 80's. As I wrote the manual I added some legalese in tiny letters and set as the last sentence "Any resemblance of this manual with the real product is purely co-incidental". Years later when the product had been sold in thousands I happened to get my hands on the printed manual and the sentence was still there. It had passed the quality assurance and even an upgrade to the next model.

• Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...

The results are in - https://atarigamer.com/lynx/event/Lynx2020ProgrammingCompetition/5744555538251776

As I mentioned previously, the number of votes per game will not be used to adjust the score. There was between 15 and 18 votes per game so that's quite close enough for good results. It was quite a close one, but well done everybody!

results_overall.thumb.png.680e8d7c2815134b831157e3a99f65aa.png

results_others.thumb.png.ea9c9044dd1fbb88964c9f6ecb3c044e.png

• Like 2

Thanks a lot Igor for the detailed results!

Congrats everyone on your high score, this was indeed a close one!

My hat's off to Nop90 and RetroGuru for a well deserved 1st place!

I'm also happy to see that Asteroids Chasers (my personal favorite for this compo) did get a lot of well deserved praise too.

And thanks everyone for enjoying my entry, I wasn't excepting Timeloop to rank up so high!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LordKraken said:

So do we know for sure there will be sv2020 with a lynx competition this time again?

Edit: Google is my friend, so yes and yes. Even seem that the physical event is still on actually. Anyone thinking of going?

I have my flight tickets and a room booked for 4 nights. But... Depending on the pandemic I may have to cancel everything.

PS. I am also hoping to create a new gaming jukebox for the event. Similar to the one I had at Portland a year ago.
IMG_20191020_150240.thumb.jpg.a12427b049f4f7ae347a64434c1102e8.jpg.47ad52dd2a0330e52502b72392e94021.jpg

And the SV2020 themed version:

sv20jukeboxSmall.png.4b729a1a26389bca7efbe114a4707bc8.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LordKraken said:

There is a theme?

Let's say Silly Ventures appears to have a certain flavour. If you look at past pictures and events there is a bit more beer around.

But there is no compo "theme". The winning titles had a bit assembly/demo feeling in them. SillySis with clean graphics and piano-ragtime was an odd kid of the block.

One game compo entry was showing a looong hummer. The audience was laughing so I Googled this. In 2018 Silly Ventures they used a hummer to take SV2018 participants to an "Ultrcyd concert at Angels Club".

So it may be a bit different from eJagfest where the only choice was to cross the road to buy a pizza...

4 hours ago, karri said:

Let's say Silly Ventures appears to have a certain flavour. If you look at past pictures and events there is a bit more beer around.

But there is no compo "theme". The winning titles had a bit assembly/demo feeling in them. SillySis with clean graphics and piano-ragtime was an odd kid of the block.

One game compo entry was showing a looong hummer. The audience was laughing so I Googled this. In 2018 Silly Ventures they used a hummer to take SV2018 participants to an "Ultrcyd concert at Angels Club".

So it may be a bit different from eJagfest where the only choice was to cross the road to buy a pizza...

The quality level of the Lynx entries were extremely high, even compared to the Lynx 30th compo. Sillyventure looks to me like a very profilic compo, with usually the best of the Atari demo scene participating. But I have a slight issue to compete with ports of popular IPs (no matter how impressive they are), generally there should be a limitation regarding ports of established or finished games. It's a bit unfair for those that try to create a game/ demo from the ground up. Creativity and originality should be a priorety. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

@karri we all know you said you won't participate this year either, but you did ;) See you in the next compo! ?

I had a request to put a short compo on this year, but I think that I don't want to have too much on at the end of the year with SV on, maybe if I put on a mini-jam in January, it will be a 2 week maximum thing, and it will have an emphasis on mini. Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1