IGNORED

Lynx 2020 Programming Competition

Igor

Just my .01 cent (as I do not code for the Lynx (yet) making my opinion mostly irrelevant) but from an outside perspective, a strict theme may seem a bit off putting and constrained. I understand the desire to make it more level grounded or fair but capping freedom of creativity may also limit the desire to code for a compo as well, limiting turnout as a result.

• Like 2

That might be my game-jam mindset but I think to the contrary that having a theme increase the creativity. It's an additional limitation on top of the time frame and the lynx limitation, but that's what make the beauty of retro programming isnt it? How much you can do with constraints :)

(and it gives a fairer competition too - that's the reason why game jam have theme in the first place)

Thanks for the inputs! Lots to think about. About the theme...I think I will always go with a theme, but it will never be something concrete like "Make a Tetris clone", the theme of "Future" for the last comp is a good example because it left it very open to interpretation, even @karri's music project would have fit the theme I think.

Apologies to all the winners too. I really should have contacted you about prizes sooner, I will be doing that tonight (my time).

I managed to miss voting by leaving it a little and then forgetting completely in the last few days, and then remembering the day after it ended. Typical. I realised recently that waiting to do something with someone else is one of the best ways to ensure you get nothing done. A speak a little about twice a week but only have a proper voice conversation about once a month which always becomes a few about long conversation where we never actually get around to doing anything.

But I'll drop my opinion on the mini-compo: I think it sounds like a good idea but I still don't particularly like narrow themes. The future theme shouldn't be too restrictive but somehow I as someone who likes sci-fi couldn't come up with much. Of course maybe I'd think of more with a different theme. It depends on the person how much they'd find a particular theme restrictive I suppose but for that reason it could still limit turnout. I would say just stick with using a theme, but only having two weeks further restricts what ideas people come up with that they could implement so I'd vote for no set theme. That way people have more chance of thinking of something that they like, are allowed to use, and can implement in two weeks.

Last weekend was so rainy here in Rome that I could not exit home. I was so bored that in two days made 50% of a port to the Lynx of an old classic. If there is another boring week end before December I could have a personal entry for SV20. I grabbed GFX and SFX from an open source unlicensed port to windows, but that was ripped fron the ST version of the game. Are unlicensed game conversion allowed at SV?

• Like 1

I think the line between an hommage game (as in my tentative with the inside world for instance) and a rip-off is first and foremost related to the visual. That's the first thing people will see and judge. Now the MK port was well accepted and people didnt mind because hey well, it was mortal kombat. But that also means the game cannot be sell and will probably never be finished (still praying to the gods of the underworld, you never know :D).

So maybe you could tweak the graphics, for instance changing the palette, adding/removing details... or bring marss on the project :)

also remember, game concept are not copyrightable, so it's fine to do a remake. As long as art and music are different enough.

Apologies to all of the winners as it looks like competition sponsors (at least some) are dragging their feet in sending the prizes out. I've passed all of the mailing and PayPal details onto the sponsors so it's a bit out of my hands for now, but I am following up to make sure that the prizes are sent ASAP. Again apologies for these delays.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Igor said:

Apologies to all of the winners as it looks like competition sponsors (at least some) are dragging their feet in sending the prizes out. I've passed all of the mailing and PayPal details onto the sponsors so it's a bit out of my hands for now, but I am following up to make sure that the prizes are sent ASAP. Again apologies for these delays.

Thanks for the update, but there is no issue with any delay.

With the crazy current world situation, we can totally understand.

I hope everybody is fine and safe, as that's the most important.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Silly Ventures 2020 was just cancelled. Or actually moved to 2021 June 3rd-6th.

My next theater project has also been moved to have its premiere 1st of July 2021.

I wonder what I look like when I finally get out after 9 months of isolation at home with lots of food, Netflix and Disney plus.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome! I have an idea for a small game too, I think the compo must be Xmas themed. Preference for a single screen type of game, but that won't be in the rules. I'm seeing if SV and eJagFest are interested in pitching in to promote it, since there are no prizes it will be easier to organise.

Any preference on whether it should be ranked or not? I'd like it not to be ranked, since it's just for fun.

I might join but only if there is/are some form of constraints, whether it's a theme or a single screen game or whatever. Reason is even if it's just for fun, it's nice and thrilling to get the feeling of a (friendly) competition. And running it for a limited time, having constraint(s) means a fair one :)

• Like 2