IGNORED

Portable games on "regular TV"

First I read something somewhere about a virtual boy mod that's made that I'll let you connect a virtual Boy 2 some modern TV.  Anyone know where that is?

I got a couple other questions.  one cannot be hooked up natively to a CRT TV in component video or RGB via SCART?

Also if hooked up my HDMI is there some way to get it in 3D just like the virtual boy originally was?  My TV accepts side-by-side half as a 2d compatible 3D.

Also in terms of the processor are the graphics considered white monochrome and red is just the theme filter?

Also I see people wondering how you stream portable video games on Twitch and mixer.  This would be an answer for virtual Boy, a Nintendo has official answers for Gameboy on both Super NES and GameCube.

someone was talking about a Game Gear player on the 32x cartridge where you insert the Game Gear cartridge inside the 32x cartridge.  The reason why 32x is because Genesis doesn't have enough colors to accurately display game gear.

and since this website is called atariage why not a Lynx player for the Jaguar? insert a lynx cartridge inside a Jaguar cartridge shell?

Yeah you want Virtual TAP.  That is a device you can wire into a VB, or if the VB is jacked up and you're the artsy/printing type you can make a new 'console shell' for your VB guts using the tap.  It's much like the way you can do a CMVS (consolized MVS) neo geo arcade cartridge system onto a TV instead.

Virtual Tap you can have a VGA output, RGB, etc and then it's a simple matter of wiring it up like any other console and you just use your VB controller out of the front or some other custom thing of your choice too.

The 3D is lost as far as I know, I mean you probably could halfass it like the old red/blue 3D movie glasses style, but the VB never actually produced 3D, it used tricks with mirrors and dual images so you can't just go and do that.  The way that IS done is a dead emulator vbjin some resurrected and converted to OCULUS so you can play it in real 3D in those silly expensive goggles.  It kind of tweaks me off, the emulator hasn't been ported back to the other OS's it started on for the bug fixes.

Streaming virtual boy would be using some capture device with the virtual tap signal being spit out so you get a clean image on screen to rip for that process.

Sorry I can't detail any of this more than I have.  I have been tempted to meddle with the virtual tap, I have a 3rd busted (but not) VB lying around with a destroyed ribbon cable for one of the eyes.

I was going to mention the anaglific (sp?) 3d for virtualboy. It outputs two "video" signals for its l/r lenses. If you get the video out, there's no reason the device harvesting the signals couldn't also assign a color for each signal. It's a monochromatic image anyways.

I think there have been consolized versions of lynx, check the lynx forum. Not sure how hard it is, (it's certainly beyond me, unless it's a plug in part) but it has been done.

I'd be surprised if game gear hasn't been consolized by someone, it's just a handheld version of master system after all, and I'm not sure how many games are on gg and not ms anyways. I love the sonic games enough that I bought the master system versions decades ago. Don't know how well it works, but the retron 5 has a cart adapter so you can play game gear on tv.

Game boy of course has super Game boy for snes.

Gba has Game boy player for game cube.

Supervision has a consolized version so you can play it's games on tv. I've got a few carts, but never seen a handheld, even on ebay.

Psp, it hooks to tv, at least the 3k version. Don't know if the 2k supports video out of not, but the 1k series I know doesnt.I

I'm a weirdo lol, as a result, I often enjoy handhelds a lot, but love the ability to play on the big screen. :D

Last night I was thinking of the exact same thing about anaglyph (red and cyan) 3d on Virtual Tap.

Its maker said it can sent out 2 simultaneous pictures and natively thinks of it as monochrome black and white 

Also the fact that it outputs both SCART and VGA, both RGB formats, makes this easier.

Would a simple Y adapter with one eye having the R pin engaged and the other the G and B (in additive light theory Green plus Blue equals Cyan), and have them just passively merge on a  Y SCART or Y VGA cable, and viola, instant Red and Cyan Anaglyph Virtual Boy on a TV?  Is it that easy?

If it is that easy then I can probably even design it  and pay someone to build it myself.  I know a passive y audio adapter could either take a stereo signal and combine them into one mono signal, or split a mono signal and play it in 2 speakers.  I just don't know if video signals can combine that way.  

By the way  Someone wanted to do a game gear player Genesis cartridge but found out has to do some color guessing cuz Genesis doesn't have enough colors to accurately portray game gearz and me and others suggested why not a 32x cartridge as a game gear player on TV.  

12 hours ago, Video said:

I was going to mention the anaglific (sp?) 3d for virtualboy. It outputs two "video" signals for its l/r lenses. If you get the video out, there's no reason the device harvesting the signals couldn't also assign a color for each signal. It's a monochromatic image anyways.

I think there have been consolized versions of lynx, check the lynx forum. Not sure how hard it is, (it's certainly beyond me, unless it's a plug in part) but it has been done.

I'd be surprised if game gear hasn't been consolized by someone, it's just a handheld version of master system after all, and I'm not sure how many games are on gg and not ms anyways. I love the sonic games enough that I bought the master system versions decades ago. Don't know how well it works, but the retron 5 has a cart adapter so you can play game gear on tv.

Game boy of course has super Game boy for snes.

Gba has Game boy player for game cube.

Supervision has a consolized version so you can play it's games on tv. I've got a few carts, but never seen a handheld, even on ebay.

Psp, it hooks to tv, at least the 3k version. Don't know if the 2k supports video out of not, but the 1k series I know doesnt.I

I'm a weirdo lol, as a result, I often enjoy handhelds a lot, but love the ability to play on the big screen. :D

There is a board sold in Europe that gives the Game Gear a Mega Drive RGB video out and a Mega Drive controller port.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I see something called an Analogue MD on eBay when I look up "game gear tv adapter"

Does that only work with Analogue's special equipment, like the Hyperkin S8 (Sega is a copyrighted word, so what do they call their GG/SMS/SG1K adapter?) only works with Hyperkin Retron 5s? Or does the Analogue brand equipment plug into a real Genesis 1/ Genesis 2/ Genesis 3/ 32x?

I want the one for the 32X.

There are some $35 models on eBay that are 1.0 versions.  What should I be aware of about the 1.0s vs the 1.1s?

I have a Gen 1 and Gen2/32X SCART adapter and a Retrotink SCART to HDMI.  And it does work on an unpowered HDMI to VGA adapter.

Also is there an SG1K adapter? (SG1000)