IGNORED

Divekick (Atari 2600)

bluswimmer

Before Balloon Trip, before Bird and Beans, before even my awful version of Doodle Jump, there was Divekick.

This homebrew was originally made back in 2018, when I was first learning how to make 2600 games. As the name implies, it's an extremely barebones adaptation of the video game Divekick for the 2600, which is a fighting game that uses two buttons: a "dive" button, and a "kick" button. Here, pressing up on the joystick acts as the dive button, and the fire button acts as the kick button. Your goal is to kick your opponent before they kick you. If the timer runs out, then the player who's closest to the center of the screen wins that round. The game is best of 9, so whoever wins five rounds first wins.

The download is below, but be warned that I have made no updates to it aside from fixing the scanline count. The game is blatantly lacking polish; there are no sounds, the player sprites are ripped from Berzerk, the jump arc is unnatural, the list goes on. Regardless, I felt it was worth posting, given that it was my first homebrew and I never released it.

divekick.bin

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

We'll be checking out Divekick on tomorrow's (Wed Jun 3) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1