IGNORED

ESD mat

unixdude

Hi, all.

I think that I should probably start using an ESD mat for my repairs.  I don't know anything about this, but it looks like I should ground myself to the mat, and should ground the mat to the ground terminal in an electrical box.  Is this correct?  Also, will any ESD mat do, or do I really need to spend $50+ on one?  I am interested in a soldering and ESD mat, and I find them at all price points on Amazon.  My guess is that I don't want the $15 ones (they appear to be soldering mats and not ESD mats), but I probably don't need to spend $150 on one either.

Thanks for any tips/guidance.

I searched the forums before posting, and didn't really find anything applicable.  I wasn't sure which forum this belonged in; since I mostly work on 8-bit computers, I chose to put it here.

Sure, you can ground yourself, but many other things can be static generators in the typical environment.  A mat is there to protect sensitive parts when putting assemblies or chips down on the work surface or reworking components.

I used to work in telecommunications equipment repair and believe me, we used ESD mats in addition to personal grounding straps (wrist or foot based).

A good ESD meter can also be helpful for your work space.

Is it overkill to put in an ESD mat or have a meter nearby?  Maybe, but it is a one-time investment and my personal experience is that is worth it.

I like Desco products.  The make a good, quality ESD mat.

• Like 2

Supposedly the old NMOS is less prone to static damage then newer CMOS fab chips.

You'd probably be fine just using a wire jumper with alligator clips to connect the ground plane on what you're working on to a ground nearby such as PC case, kitchen sink or (possibly) metal window frame.

Been in electronic/computer industry all my life and rarely ever used wrist straps and never an ESD mat and

to my knowledge never killed anything.

I just remember my instructor saying "Just Keep Your Bloody Fingers off the Pins", seems good advice and it works

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I haven't used an ESD mat or even a wristband since I built my last from-scratch PC in 2001. YMMV. 

I agree. I think the dangers of ESD are way over-rated. I may blow something up tomorrow, but I've been soldering and doing repair work and building my own PCs for the past 30 years, and I've never damaged anything. I haven't worn a static strap since my college days and I graduated in 1989. I'm not trying to sway anyone from getting one. I just don't feel the need is as great as many, including my old college professors, seem to imply.

• Like 1

depends on where you live, humidity, device, materials used in your clothing rug, work areas.  I know ESD has made many a project wonky over the years... I also realize we don't have static generators all over the place like we once had. Remember those display devices of old?  With where I live and the materials I am around, I've zapped plenty of everyday items to their death... so I wouldn't think of touching my Atari without proper ESD mitigation in place. I discharge myself before normal use on bad static days...  Lately I installed a humidifier in the room as 35%-40% seems to calm the storm and my nasal passages thank me too. Like all things, it depends on your own location and setting, ymmv.  I use a wrist strap and a mat when tinkering. Back in the day we had discharge boxes connected to display screens until they started building that in along with radiation protections.

might I add if I went to work BITD and didn't use all of the precautions and strap in... I would have been fired on the spot, but that was because of the area I worked in and what was at stake.

If you have ever been zapped or have zapped someone in your work area, if you here static crackling/cackling when put on or take off articles of clothing... well you might want to take ESD precautions seriously. If such a thing has never happened... well you probably don't have any issues.

• Like 1