Jump to content
Karl G

Cosmic Cabbie - WIP

Recommended Posts

This is my own tribute to a well-known C64 classic "Space Taxi", where you fly around accepting passengers and taking them to their destinations while avoiding collisions and running out of fuel. The final version will have original levels rather than copying from the original game.

 

12/27/2020:

 

This version is am early WIP.  There is only one level so far. You can fly around, land, crash, run out of fuel, and transport customers, but can't move on to a new level yet.  The level, for demo purposes, is a based on the original "Skyscrapers" level.

 

1833479347_ScreenShot2020-12-27at1_53_17PM.thumb.png.95c02471fe01837b0428566de9882b2c.png

 

 

 

Demo Instructions: Fly around using your joystick. Deploy the landing gear with the joystick button.  The landing gear may be deployed anytime, but you cannot thrust left or right while it is down.  If your speed is too great when you land, or if both sides of the landing gear are not on solid ground, your cab will crash.  Attempting to land at any speed without the landing gear down will also result in a crash. If you land on a platform where there is a customer without hitting them, then they will board your cab, and direct you to your destination.

 

 

CosmicCabbie-3.a78

 

CosmicCabbie-3.bin

 

 

 

  • Like 25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Karl G said:

I wanted to post this very early version to get feedback on the feel of the game controls and physics. 

More conservative sensitivity and slower than the C64 default settings.  

 

One of my favorite C64 games. This is a great start and a nice setting for beginners and casual players of the game.

 

My vote is definitely for 160 mode; especially when the more colorful levels and platforms make an appearance.

Unless you can pull off some great color tricks utilizing the 320 modes.

 

It's all about atmosphere and gameplay.  Again, great start.  Looking forward to it being developed further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great start! I haven't played the original (heresy) but the physics feel good to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

 

10 hours ago, Trebor said:

More conservative sensitivity and slower than the C64 default settings.  

 

One of my favorite C64 games. This is a great start and a nice setting for beginners and casual players of the game.

 

Yeah; I think you are right that the controls end up being a bit easier compared to the original. I don't really want that, though, since having easier starting levels like in the original covers that well enough.  I'll have to do some more playing of the original and tweak my own thrust values accordingly.  Thanks for taking the time to try it out to make that comparison!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've added a new version of this demo in the first post. This version adds the ability to pickup and dropoff customers, and earn money. There is still only one level, and no way to leave it yet, though.

 

If someone with a multicart and an AtariVox has time to test this version, I would appreciate it.  Specifically I would like to know if the speech I added is working. The game should say "Hey, cabbie!" in one of 4 voices, or just "Hey!" if you hit them with your cab.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Karl G said:

If someone with a multicart and an AtariVox has time to test this version, I would appreciate it.  Specifically I would like to know if the speech I added is working.

I’m away from home now, but I can test in a couple of days.😀

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can just test in emulation at the moment, but the gameplay feels solid.

 

The pseudo-3d display without pseudo-3d positioning and collision drives me a little nuts, but I see Space Taxi does the same thing. I guess I'll need to get over it until the 2d levels appear. 😁

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Karl G said:

If someone with a multicart and an AtariVox has time to test this version, I would appreciate it.  Specifically I would like to know if the speech I added is working. The game should say "Hey, cabbie!" in one of 4 voices, or just "Hey!" if you hit them with your cab.

It works exactly as expected.  Here's a 2 1/2 minute audio clip.  I died a couple of times, a bunch of collisions into the customers and some clean pickups and drops offs as well.  Love there's variation in the voices.  Great job!

 

Cosmic Cabbie 20200906 AtariVox Only.mp3

 

Everything else is working beautifully as well.  The physics are almost exact to the C64, although I do believe the aforementioned is a bit more forgiving on the limits of how hard and fast you can land.  This port is slightly more sensitive; which is not necessarily a bad thing. :)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At some point I need to get serious and come up with my own original levels and accompanying graphics, but I thought for now I'd post one more PoC demo version. Version 3 has improved lives display, better collision handling, and implementation of fuel (though no way to refuel on the demo level).

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I can’t wait to add this my Concerto when I get home. I thought I was “following” this thread, I wasn’t, but am now.👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Karl G I tested the latest ROM with my Concerto and I can fly around, land, crash and run out of fuel, but I'm unable to pick up my customer. Just want to confirm whether or not we should be able to pick up the customer. -Thanks.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Hi @Karl G I tested the latest ROM with my Concerto and I can fly around, land, crash and run out of fuel, but I'm unable to pick up my customer. Just want to confirm whether or not we should be able to pick up the customer. -Thanks.

D'oh! Looks like I had uploaded the wrong ROM. I've updated with the correct ones. Thanks for catching that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Karl G said:

D'oh! Looks like I had uploaded the wrong ROM. I've updated with the correct ones. Thanks for catching that!

Confirmed as working now, thanks.

 

Btw, the speech (AtariVox) is not really audible. And in some instances, is just a couple of bleeps/bloops.

 

Thanks for sharing the ROM. I look forward to your next update.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Btw, the speech (AtariVox) is not really audible. And in some instances, is just a couple of bleeps/bloops.

Just wondering... does your vox sound fine with Dungeon Stalker and T:ME Salvo? Some percentage of consoles were found to have an AtariVox voice problem with these games, similar to what you describe, and the issue was eventually traced back to a problem with the design of the Vox units themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Just wondering... does your vox sound fine with Dungeon Stalker and T:ME Salvo? Some percentage of consoles were found to have an AtariVox voice problem with these games, similar to what you describe, and the issue was eventually traced back to a problem with the design of the Vox units themselves.

Yes, works fine with DS and T:ME Salvo. I have one of the earlier models.

4122ABC0-667F-4093-B53D-73629AD0C2BE.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, thanks for confirming. The AtariVox bug I was talking about is definitely related to AV+, so that's definitely not the problem here. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, RevEng said:

Ok, thanks for confirming. The AtariVox bug I was talking about is definitely related to AV+, so that's definitely not the problem here. 👍

I did have it plugged into an extension cable, but that's how I always have it attached to my 7800. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't yet tested speech on my console. My vox doesn't fit well in the joystick port because the casing gets in the way, so I will try with it removed from the casing. I know at least Trebor had success with the speech, so I'm wondering if I somehow broke it in the meantime? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I haven't yet tested speech on my console. My vox doesn't fit well in the joystick port because the casing gets in the way, so I will try with it removed from the casing. I know at least Trebor had success with the speech, so I'm wondering if I somehow broke it in the meantime? 

I know my Vox is still in working order, as I've been testing a game that includes several phrases of speech.

 

<Edit> just played Dungeon Stalker and all of the speech worked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...