IGNORED

Cosmic Cabbie - WIP

Karl G

I have an AtariVox+.  Regarding the latest build "Hey, Cabbie" (When the cab is being hailed) and "Hey" (When colliding into a potential customer), is crystal clear with a variation in tone difference as well; exactly as posted with the earlier build.  There is no speech for "Thanks!" or "Pad #, Please". 

If needed though, I can make another recording, but honestly cannot tell a difference regarding the speech that worked then and now.

Not sure if it makes a difference but this is with the MCP DevCart.  My Concerto has not yet arrived.  Of course, I will test with that as well, once it is in my possession.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Trebor said:

If interested, there's the AtariVox Speech Test too (Attached below for convenience).

Numerous amount of phrases, and you can control how quickly they start/interrupt the next with a press of the fire button.

AtariVox Speech Test (20151021).a78 32.13 kB · 1 download

Thanks. I’ll try this too. If I’m still unable to hear Cosmic Cabbie with Vox and Concerto, I’ll give it a go with my old Mateos. 

• Like 1

Well upon further review it does appear to be my Vox. The more I tested this evening, the more loss of speech I encountered. I compared my actual Dungeon Stalker and T:ME Salvo carts to the ROMs (on my Concerto) and both exhibited the same behavior. Funny, earlier today, I was able to play DS and TS (ROMs) and they were working. Anyway...the good news is that this doesn't appear to have anything to do with the Concerto. Bad news, now I need a new Vox. The one thing I don't have a backup for. ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

...I’ve already ordered another. Just one more item to add to Santa Al’s list.

The bright-side, my friend, is the AtariVox+ devices Al has now in stock are the latest revision that don't suffer from the issue some of the previous AtariVox+ fall victim too (The issue RevEng was referring to earlier).  So you definitely know you'll have the latest bug-free version of the hardware to enjoy.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Cosmic Cabbie on tomorrow's (Fri Mar 26, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1629454865_20210326-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.03e8948bba6187b2112b338a123f5356.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

So, I've been thinking of reviving this project. Much of the gameplay is already done, with my one sample level. What I really need most is more levels!

I was wondering if anyone wants to collaborate on this project and help with art and level design? Original levels would be cool, but levels based on the original game would be good too, and be useful for helping me progress further on the game.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

OK here we go with the passengers,

we have a guy and a girl (and potentially more)..

I made several animations that you can mix for variation,

obviously some of them needs to have their speed adjusted for full effect (for example the last guy on the right that looks at his watch 😉)

Size-wise they are a tad smaller than the c64 and a tad bigger than yours, the frames varies between 2 and 4 for the lot !

I have included the c64's and yours for comparison.

customers-5.gif.0abdc6478f2d3cbcda4f3f3105b40a2c.gif

• Like 7

6 hours ago, TIX said:

OK here we go with the passengers,

we have a guy and a girl (and potentially more)..

I made several animations that you can mix for variation,

obviously some of them needs to have their speed adjusted for full effect (for example the last guy on the right that looks at his watch 😉)

Size-wise they are a tad smaller than the c64 and a tad bigger than yours, the frames varies between 2 and 4 for the lot !

I have included the c64's and yours for comparison.

customers-5.gif.0abdc6478f2d3cbcda4f3f3105b40a2c.gif

These are super cool! It looks like you kept them to 5 width, which is good so the passengers don't dwarf the cab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Karl G said:

These are super cool! It looks like you kept them to 5 width, which is good so the passengers don't dwarf the cab.

yeah made them "slimmer" so they are more proportional to the cab !

Now about the cab, I guess from your example that it will be 8 pixels wide ?

what about the exhaust thrust ? a separate sprite ?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TIX said:

yeah made them "slimmer" so they are more proportional to the cab !

Now about the cab, I guess from your example that it will be 8 pixels wide ?

what about the exhaust thrust ? a separate sprite ?

Yeah, it's 8 pixels wide. This isn't set in stone, but I don't think it can be much bigger, either, since I'm using 160A mode. Right now the cab, the thrust, and the landing gear are all separate sprites, but I should instead turn them into combined sprites for each possible combo so that the sprite has to only be plotted once (saving CPU cycles).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Karl G said:

Yeah, it's 8 pixels wide. This isn't set in stone, but I don't think it can be much bigger, either, since I'm using 160A mode. Right now the cab, the thrust, and the landing gear are all separate sprites, but I should instead turn them into combined sprites for each possible combo so that the sprite has to only be plotted once (saving CPU cycles).

space-taxi-4.gif.0445015d062db90b049ccd6b2872dc44.gif   I'd like for the cub to be able to "rotate" properly

cab-landing-5.gif.851e7cd85e883eda761e37eb39c042b6.gif   I can easily fit the cab, landing gear and vertical thrust in one 8x16 sprite

thrust.gif.ae5e412553a004dbb2c5631dcdced5bc.gif   but for better results, the horizontal thrust should be a separate sprite..

passenger.gif.25abe21287af753a31a221a868290316.gif   and a size comparison with the passenger

I will add an explosion later on, but I think that's about it ?

is there something more in later levels ? some flying enemy maybe, I don't remember.. I'll go watch some long play 🙂

Edited by TIX
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, TIX said:

space-taxi-4.gif.0445015d062db90b049ccd6b2872dc44.gif   I'd like for the cub to be able to "rotate" properly

cab-landing-5.gif.851e7cd85e883eda761e37eb39c042b6.gif   I can easily fit the cab, landing gear and vertical thrust in one 8x16 sprite

thrust.gif.ae5e412553a004dbb2c5631dcdced5bc.gif   but for better results, the horizontal thrust should be a separate sprite..

passenger.gif.25abe21287af753a31a221a868290316.gif   and a size comparison with the passenger

is there something more in later levels ? some flying enemy maybe, I don't remember.. I'll go watch some long play 🙂

Those look really good! A second sprite could be managed certainly; it's just better to consolidate where possible.

There are indeed levels with other moving objects. Balls, giant snowflakes, shooting stars, etc. Not that I'm going for an exact copy, but I'd certainly want to have levels with similar obstacles.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TIX said:

Nice sprite work !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 8:44 PM, Karl G said:

There are indeed levels with other moving objects. Balls, giant snowflakes, shooting stars, etc. Not that I'm going for an exact copy, but I'd certainly want to have levels with similar obstacles.

Hey,

I have enhanced the hazards/objects present in the C64 version.. apart for a couple of explosions I think I got them all !?

Many different versions of each to choose from, everything is animated in 4 frames, 8x16, 3 colors,

I got a little carried away but I love doing them, (all goes to my archive for other projects anyway).

Maybe there are some sizing errors, but fine tuning will have to wait until we can see them in-game !

OK here is what I got so far:

• snowflakes
  • various balls
  • falling stars
  • radars
  • cannon ball
  • teleporters
  • fuel pumps/tanks
  • door switches
  • tips and lost tips !
  • mines

hazards.thumb.gif.554b87f629729376afa828c36902619e.gif