IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Challenge 04/2020 Space Invaders

zylon

We'll run a very common classic this month to fill that extra home time, Space Invaders on default, or Game 1. Play using real 5200 sytems and Atari Mfg controls, period analog sticks allowed with a -1 Hsc pt penalty. Only modern exceptions allowed are flashcarts/SD loaders running original Roms. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends when month does.

Current HSC record- Bust it for a bonus point!

Space Invaders - (Game 1)
oyamafamily 46,237

Final scores:

27,122  rubeon +11

14,612  patroclus99 +10

12,477  DamonicFury +9

6,907  roadrunner +8

6,907  zylon +8

5,685  troff +7

558  RangerG +6

Current standings:

DamonicFury - 30

rubeon - 26

roadrunner - 26

zylon - 19

RangerG - 18

Rogerpoco - 15

hoosierdadee78 - 9

Bemis - 8

troff - 8

Space Invaders.BIN

Edited by zylon

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1350.thumb.jpeg.49612294fa9890841d46213845b82ea4.jpeg

Seems like a lot of people dislike this version of Space Invaders, but personally it's my favourite console port despite the many bugs.

The shooting in this version feels great, and the sound effects are minimal but excellent. And the ship movement is so, so smooth.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, troff said:

Any recommendations??

Mostly just don’t get shot. ? The saucer doesn’t even score that much in this version, so don’t get killed worrying about it.  Try to take on the Invaders one column at a time, and be super careful when you need to cross under a large group of them.  The trickiest part for me is when they start the wave super close to the ground... it’s tough to get underneath a column there without getting shot!  Once you do, be careful to leave the top invader alone for a bit... you’ll need the extra time his shot will take to reach the ground to wipe out the next column of his buddies!  Repeat this procedure to get through that tough wave.  

14 hours ago, troff said:

I got this score early in the month.  I kept thinking I would better it.  I think I actually got around 2,100 a few times but that’s about it.  Guess it will have to do.  Any recommendations??

49507383-20F2-4DB6-AB2D-F3564FCE85D4.jpeg

The way I kind of approach this is wiping out the first 2-3 columns on the right; this will give you a little wiggle-room, then kill off some lower rows of aliens, and then go after the remaining columns.  However, as successive waves approach closer to he ground, what I try to do is knock out the first column on the right, except 1 or 2 aliens toward the top; when one of those aliens fires a missile, it'll take a little time for it to reach the surface.  While that missile is traveling, take that time to kill off some aliens on the bottom, to make a little space.  Then kill off most of the aliens in next column except for 1 or 2 , and then kill off some aliens on the bottom, and so on.  I'm not explaining this well.  There's probably someone here who can illustrate this better.  Sorry.

Man, that TV sure has a nice display. . . is that one of those Trinitrons?

12 hours ago, patroclus99 said:

except 1 or 2 aliens toward the top; when one of those aliens fires a missile, it'll take a little time for it to reach the surface.  While that missile is traveling, take that time to kill off some aliens on the bottom, to make a little space.

Man, that TV sure has a nice display. . . is that one of those Trinitrons?

On 4/29/2020 at 3:40 PM, DamonicFury said:

it’s tough to get underneath a column there without getting shot!  Once you do, be careful to leave the top invader alone for a bit... you’ll need the extra time his shot will take to reach the ground to wipe out the next column of his buddies!  Repeat this procedure to get through that tough wave.  

Thank you both!!! This was the advice I needed, definitely helped.  (To leave the top invader)

The TV is a wooden console General Electric.  Not my favorite brand, but it was an acquisition of opportunity, and I have been very happy with it.  

My new, improved score 5,685.  Thanks again!

411E8C11-340C-4A33-966C-9CA26C3403D3.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/29/2020 at 3:40 PM, DamonicFury said:

Mostly just don’t get shot. ? The saucer doesn’t even score that much in this version, so don’t get killed worrying about it.  Try to take on the Invaders one column at a time, and be super careful when you need to cross under a large group of them.  The trickiest part for me is when they start the wave super close to the ground... it’s tough to get underneath a column there without getting shot!  Once you do, be careful to leave the top invader alone for a bit... you’ll need the extra time his shot will take to reach the ground to wipe out the next column of his buddies!  Repeat this procedure to get through that tough wave.  

Those are good tips :thumbsup:

On 4/29/2020 at 11:04 PM, zylon said:

IMG_20200429_225357812.jpg

We got the same score :thumbsup:

13 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Those are good tips :thumbsup:

We got the same score :thumbsup:

yep, the TV I have here has major lag, so I don't do very well on many games. It's like mastering them yet again.

April comes to a close, but few can tell, lol. Some nice scores in there, but rubeon takes this one. ?

Thanks to all who played and I'll get May's game up sometime today. :)

Final scores:

27,122  rubeon +11

14,612  patroclus99 +10

12,477  DamonicFury +9

6,907  roadrunner +8

6,907  zylon +8

5,685  troff +7

558  RangerG +6

• Thanks 1