IGNORED

ABBUC software competition 2020

holgibo

Hello everybody,

The rules for the ABBUC Software competition are online now!

Look here:

http://www.abbuc.de/atari/software-ressort/81-software/softwarewettbewerbe/1846-software-wettbewerb-2020

Some short informations about this year's contest:

-We have increased the prices, the first threee places get additional money

-Nearly every kind of program is allowed, just read the rules, but you can't submit programs which allready have been published.

-Programs must run on regular Atari machines

Please read the rules carefully.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

You can send your program(s) until the 26. september 2020. Please look on the ABBUC homepage (link above) or read the rules how to send submissions.

Contact adresses are on the last page of the PDF document.

And now... let's start programming  ?

8bit greetings, Holger

Rules Abbuc SW-competition_2020_final.pdf Regeln Abbuc SW-Wettbewerb_2020_final.pdf

Edited by holgibo
  • Like 6

Thanks holgibo. Great to see the deadline is moved back to more like it used to be :thumbsup:

I'm working on another platformer, this time a vertical scroller  (in assember) if anyone wants to help with one or more of these please get in touch, ideally several people who want to have a go at something. My games are a bit rough and ready so don't expect too much - it can be a first project for anyone wanting to contribute...

1. Sounds - ideally assembler and/or someone in BASIC creating some sounds and small ditties and I'll get them in.

2. Playfield Graphics - Gr.12 / Antic mode 4 (single chset but may have levels loading in so could have a separate chset/theme on each)

3. PMG Graphics and Animations for the man you move

4. Level design, not quite ready for this yet but not too far away - would be manually done using Envision etc.

5. Title screen - if there's room!

6. Cosmetics/DList/DLIs for an existing high scrore screen (similar to the one in Block on Legs)

Jason

• Like 1

16 hours ago, holgibo said:

Hello everybody,

Look here:

http://www.abbuc.de/atari/software-ressort/81-software/softwarewettbewerbe/1846-software-wettbewerb-2020

Some short informations about this year's contest:

-We have increased the prices, the first threee places get additional money

-Nearly every kind of program is allowed, just read the rules, but you can't submit programs which allready have been published.

-Programs must run on regular Atari machines

Please read the rules carefully.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

You can send your program(s) until the 26. August 2020. Please look on the ABBUC homepage (link above) or read the rules how to send submissions.

Contact adresses are on the last page of the PDF document.

And now... let's start programming  ?

8bit greetings, Holger

Rules Abbuc SW-competition_2020_final.pdf 84.72 kB · 11 downloads Regeln Abbuc SW-Wettbewerb_2020_final.pdf 80.59 kB · 0 downloads

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hello,
our entry is ready, will be sending it tomorrow after some more testing, this time we tried to do something more playable- a vertical shooter.
this project wasn't very ambitious, I just wanted to make something not forcing myself to do any hard stuff, just for pure pleasure of coding,yet I think the game is quite playable.

It works 50 frames per second on PAL machines and 30 fps on NTSC.
As usual Caruso made the music, and this time it was our friend Vato who tested the game.

@therealbountybob : can't wait to see your production mate, fingers crossed!

frame.png

• Like 14

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, gambler172 said:

Hi Holgi

is it possible,to use The Arcade Machine,to make a game for the contest..?

YES, as long as the game is stand-alone and runs without the Arcade Machine. You could also create a pinball with the PCS (stand-alone COM/XEX version) or any other type of game with available A8 game creators / construction kits...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 10:22 PM, gorgh said:

hello,
our entry is ready, will be sending it tomorrow after some more testing, this time we tried to do something more playable- a vertical shooter.
this project wasn't very ambitious, I just wanted to make something not forcing myself to do any hard stuff, just for pure pleasure of coding,yet I think the game is quite playable.

It works 50 frames per second on PAL machines and 30 fps on NTSC.
As usual Caruso made the music, and this time it was our friend Vato who tested the game.

@therealbountybob : can't wait to see your production mate, fingers crossed!

frame.png

Hello gorgh,

If your entry is finished look on the software contest  website how to submit it.

8bit greetings, Holger

Hello everbody.

the first two entries have arrived:

1: Tree
Game/Simulation
Autor: Kamil (gorgh) Trzask

2: Persistent
Game/Shooter
Autor: Kamil (gorgh) Trzask

I look forward to further contributions.

8bit greeitngs, Holger

• Like 4

On 4/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, holgibo said:

After taking a quick look at the rules, I'm little disappointed that one of the major competitions for Atari development doesn't have any further specification of the type of hardware that the software should run properly. The rules are simply limited to "be able to run on an Atari 8-Bit homecomputer". It doesn't say nothing like "it must run on PAL and NTSC" machines.

ABBUC.png.f6c8c5808f222cea3717bc093822490e.png

This is the result for the "2nd place at ABBUC Software Contest 2019" running in NTSC. There is no doubt it wouldn't have taken a major effort to add a routine to work properly in both NTSC and PAL.

1238109407_CastleDefender.thumb.png.41a56f11de5bfadeeeaa323d1772e5d7.png

Edited by tane
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, tane said:

It doesn't say nothing like "it must run on PAL and NTSC" machines

One of the main requirements of the competition is that the program must run on real hardware.

If programming for PAL and NTSC compatibility would be required, then the target audience would be limited to the few people who own computers of both video systems.

Not a useful limitation in my opinion.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tane said:

The rules are simply limited to "be able to run on an Atari 8-Bit homecomputer". It doesn't say nothing like "it must run on PAL and NTSC" machines.

This also means you could send in a 130XE SÉCAM only program that uses separate ANTIC and CPU access to memory and relies in its FGTIA palette to look properly! ;)

Basically, it has to run on at least one officially released Atari 8-bit system. Most entries won't run on a 600XL either. How about an entry that only works with the Arabic international character set? :)

The rules for the Abbuc software contest do not set a minimum nor a maximum of RAM required, so you are allowed to code a program that runs with 8k RAM and you are also allowed to code a program that requires a minimum of 1MB RAM; you are also allowed to code a program that requires separate Antic access or VBXE or Rapidus or 16MB / 32MB harddisk partition or whatnot.

Of course with certain requirements you will only target a small audience and because of that you will most-likely not get a good score from the few Atarians that are able to run your program. The same counts for a program that is NTSC-only or even Secam-only - it will most-likely not get a good score, since Atarians that cannot run the program will give zero points or just one point. Atm we are lucky, that the majority of Abbuc members are from PAL countries, so a PAL-only program can score quite high, but this may change in the future (or maybe it already has changed, since Abbuc got a lot of members from America)...

There is however a limitation set in the rules of max. two disksides of 90k or 130k, so I guess it is quite unlikely we will see some programs released that require 1MB or more RAM (or harddisk partitions)...

• Like 2

"There is no doubt it wouldn't have taken a major effort to add a routine to work properly in both NTSC and PAL".

Unfortunately sometimes it's just impossible or really hard to make a PAL game work on NTSC machines.

Under "Advices" I found that sentence: "The program has to run on PAL-Ataris".

I don't know if programs must work on PAL machines but I guess that 90% of ABBUC members are German or have PAL machines (ABBUC head will correct me if I am wrong).

Therefore I think they would prefer PAL games...

I will enter the competition with a game that will work on PAL and NTSC machines.

But it doesn't push the hardware to the limits so it was easy to adjust music and speed.

• Like 3

Hello,

before we made the new rules two years ago, many Atarians said that limitation to an Atari 8bit with a maximum of 64Kb and with no special enhancements is not useful to get those great things like VBXE or stereo sound more in focus in the Atari community. So we changed these rules and made almost everything possible.

A special rule which says that every program must run under PAL and NTSC would cause less submissions. But one of the big goals of the ABBUC Software Competition is to get every year really good new software.

At least, some programmers do special program code for NTSC, we even have some hints for it in the rules.

--sentence deleted--

...Holger

Edited by holgibo
...wrong information about restrictions for the competition, sorry.

2 hours ago, holgibo said:

A special rule which says that every program must run under PAL and NTSC would cause less submissions.

If there is a legislation that limits the decibels in rock concerts for not become a deaf the week after, I'd bet that a good band is going to have a full stadium despite such legislation.

If a band won't achieve a full venue in their presentations, it is more likely that is because it is a bad artist.