IGNORED

ABBUC software competition 2020

holgibo

Hello DjayBee

4 hours ago, DjayBee said:

If programming for PAL and NTSC compatibility would be required, then the target audience would be limited to the few people who own computers of both video systems.

???

If programming for PAL and NTSC compatibility would be required, the target audience would include people who have either a PAL or an NTSC version of our computers and would therefor include everybody except those who only have SECAM versions.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mathy said:

???

The target audience of the competition are the programmers.

If they need to assure that their software is running on PAL and NTSC hardware, they need BOTH. That would be a serious limitation for the number of possible entrants/entries.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gorgh said:

Speaking of NTSC/PAL... I always aim in both systems, I think it's good practise to make programs NTSC compatibile even if it requires more coding..our upcoming game LiteRally works on both systems

I and many others appreciate that. Thank you for doing so.

• Like 2

Hi,

I think the rules of the competition allow for a closed Beta program (rule 6.1), so it would be OK to ask others to test on hardware you don't have (just don't post an ATR/link to download, etc., publicly). 

On a personal note, my entry for last year, ATR Maker Deluxe, has been extended a little (S: support and bug fixes), but has been on hold for what seems like forever due to the pandemic and some ongoing personal matters. I was hoping to be able to participate in this years competition, but realistically I have too many other things that have to be done before the deadline. That doesn't mean I have given up on development of ATR Maker Deluxe, it just means development has been "parked" for the moment. 

Hope this helps!

Hello everybody,

If you plan to send an submission this year here are some infos:

1. You can send your submission until 26.8., don't forget this date.

2. You can send it to software@abbuc.de, and you get the link and password to your personal ASC cloud directory. All I need is your email adress and the name of the program. If you plan to send more than one submission, you will get for each submission an own cloud directory.

3. Either you can email me that you plan to send an submission, and I give you the link for your personal ASC cloud directory. All I need is your email adress and the name of the program. If you plan to send more than one submission, you will get for each submission an own cloud directory.

It's that easy ?

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me. Let the best computer system in the world remain the best!!!

8bit greetings, Holger

ABBUC Software ressort

Edited by holgibo
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2020 at 1:21 PM, DjayBee said:

One of the main requirements of the competition is that the program must run on real hardware.

If programming for PAL and NTSC compatibility would be required, then the target audience would be limited to the few people who own computers of both video systems.

Not a useful limitation in my opinion.

On 7/5/2020 at 6:18 PM, tane said:

If there is a legislation that limits the decibels in rock concerts for not become a deaf the week after, I'd bet that a good band is going to have a full stadium despite such legislation.

If a band won't achieve a full venue in their presentations, it is more likely that is because it is a bad artist.

You, by this post, have proven yourself to be a true, certified IDIOT.

This is almost as bad as allowing IllOps. Shameful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks,

as I have managed to have all wanted features in and am heavy trying to get last errors out of the code... I am proud to announce:

go lucky - a board game for ATARI XL/XE with 64 kB and disc drive, NTSC or PAL, 50 or 60 Hz

will enter this years ABBUC e.V. software competition.

Thanks to miker for great title song and some sfx. And many thanks to my beta testers.

I am erasing last bugs and have to create some more levels/boards, but it soon will be uploaded to competition servers.

Edited by pps
typo :(
  • Like 8

On 7/5/2020 at 9:59 PM, Philsan said:

[...]I guess that 90% of ABBUC members are German

75%

or have PAL machines (ABBUC head will correct me if I am wrong).

That might be 90% or even more.

Therefore I think they would prefer PAL games...

No preference at all, we are simply used to PAL.

Actually, I have both, PAL and NTSC machines. If an entry is NTSC only, no problem at all.

But I guess, that most NTSC run well on PAL machines, only faster. The other way round seems to make more trouble.

As a noob programmer in Germany, I would not know about how to code to ensure it runs on both, so I would just make it run on my machine, which is PAL and than probably have someone look at it.

Forcing all entries to run on PAL and NTSC might keep some programmers from handing in something at all. That wouldn´t be good. But we surely can try to give even more advice on how to ensure programs run on all standards.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skr said:

As a noob programmer in Germany, I would not know about how to code to ensure it runs on both, so I would just make it run on my machine, which is PAL and than probably have someone look at it.

I learned, that you have to test 2 things. There is the NTSC_PAL register of ANTIC, that tells you if you might have to adjust the colors and you have to check how many lines are shown on screen by counting VCOUNT to ensure if there is a 50 or 60 HZ machine. 

I did both of this in my l my last productions and adjusted some earlier ones (not publicly available yet). 

Altirra gives a good hint, how everything looks and runs on the 'other' machines, but tests on real machines are needed to have full knowledge. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NRV said:

Not that I'm participating, but I normally do two versions of my games NTSC and PAL.. would that be ok with the competition rules?

Yes, that's ok.

Edited by holgibo

No way back ;) The thing is uploaded to ABBUC e.V. servers.

It took 4 months of coding, error searching, optimizing and playing and for sure without a deadline, I would code for ages to have better solutions - but now it's all done :)

Hardest time begins now. This time I have to wait for some times till I can achieve some feedback, if you like my work, but hey, that's a contest and everyone has to wait.

CU Ralf

Edited by pps
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Ralf

You can upload newer/improved versions until the deadline passes.

Sincerely

Mathy

Oh yes I know. But this is not planned. Only if there is another bug my beta testers or I discover, there will be another update. Had worked 4 months about every day on the game. So it should be ready... 

@gorgh: I think a single screen shot is not enough to express the game. Even the 400 words manual, as rules say, is not enough imho... After competition there will be a better manual at public release. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

don't forget: You can submit your programs for this year's ABBUC Software Competition until 26.8. 2020!

Look here to be sure to send all documents correctly http://www.abbuc.de/

If you have something in development, contact me, you will get an upload Directory Link for your submission (s). As this is shared by me manually, please don't write on the last day shortly before the competition ends. You can also send me your submission(s).

8bit greetings, Holger

P.S. At the moment there are 8 submissions sent or in development.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello guys

That's a week from next Wednesday.  Please don't forget that is midnight here in Europe!

@holgibo:  Does that mean that the 25th is the last day somebody can upload their software or the 26th?  In other words, is the deadline midnight between the 25th and the 26th or midnight between the 26th and the 27th?

Sincerely

Mathy   (who's just trying to keep people from being to late)

Here is the actual list of submissions so far... remember, the software contest runs until midnight 26.8. to 27.8. of August! There are still some programs in development, I think.

1: Tree
Simulation
Autor: Kamil (gorgh) Trzask

2: Persistent
Shooter
Autor: Kamil (gorgh) Trzask

3: Flagging Flamingos
Reaction
Autor: Florian Dingler (FlorianD)

4. gol lucky
Board game
Autor: Ralf Patschke (PPS)

5. The Lady
Reaction
Autor: FIlippo Santellocco (Philsan)

6. Oxygene Be
Game/Shoot'em Up
Author: LarsImNetz oder T.A.T

7. Twiddles!
Demo
Author: LarsImNetz oder T.A.T

8.Last Squadron
Game/Shooter
Author: Janusz Chablowski(code/gfx) /Michal Szpilowski (music/sfx)

Announced:

They are many
Game
Autor: popmilo

Agent B.R.D
Game/Strategy
Autor: Florian Dingler (FlorianD)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Holger.

Without my friends The Lady would have been impossible:

Code, graphics: Filippo Santellocco (Philsan)
Sprites, graphics: Konstantinos Giamalidis (TIX)
Tunes: Michal Szpilowski (miker)
Additional code: Daniel Serpell (dsmc)

PS I uploaded on the cloud a new version.

Thanks for the nice password you gave me ?

• Like 1